997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Opinions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 11:49 AM
jjlawyer has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Opinions

I would like to get some thoughts on the purchase of my first Porsche. I am not looking for another debate over which car is better so assuming I like both cars equally, which car is the best deal/financial decision.

One is a 07 997s arctic silver with black from a reputable dealer with some nice options but without full leather and it has original warranty plus CPO going out about 2 1/2 years with 16,000 miles for $59,000. The other is an 07 turbo black on black with nice options also from a reputable dealer, no CPO or warranty with 39,000 miles for $65,000. Both are one owner cars with good service records in good condition.

I know it’s hard to ignore the s vs tt aspect but there is something to be said about the turbo rush and speed but also about the feel of a lighter/simpler NA car.

Cross posted to 997tt forum.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 09-14-2010 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:57 AM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
Good luck with your decision and best of success with it.

As someone who went from 997S to a 997tt + some others, then back to a 997S, I vote 997S. I just love the NA.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:06 PM
SG333 is an unknown quantity at this point
Surprising. What was it that made you go back to 997s? Was it low end torque?

Originally Posted by taylorcoleman
Good luck with your decision and best of success with it.

As someone who went from 997S to a 997tt + some others, then back to a 997S, I vote 997S. I just love the NA.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:12 PM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
...just my personal preference -- difficult to quantify.

Drive each back to back, and for as many miles as the dealer(s) will stomach. You'll make the right decision for you that way.

I pulled the trigger on trading my S for the tt after only driving the tt for a total of 10 minutes. The initial attraction of the speed, acceleration, luxury, etc., was compelling. It was not until more "long term" driving that I realized how much I preferred the S.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:51 PM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
If the Turbo is from a Porsche dealer they will usually CPO that care for another 2k-3k. Would that make a difference? If so ask them is they will.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:23 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I like the normally aspirated car, as well as the RWD. Although both are very nice and you need to decide what works best for you.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:27 PM
jjlawyer has a little shameless behaviour in the past
They will CPO it for $2200 plus whatever work/service it needs

Old 09-14-2010, 02:02 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jjlawyer
They will CPO it for $2200 plus whatever work/service it needs
it was very interesting to hear from somebody who went from S to TT and back to S...
still if I would have such a choice - I would get CPO TT, got used to it and then modded it to 700+ horses. pretty much the same thing what Larry did with his TT, probably.

but if car is anticipated to be a daily driver and beaten all year round - who knows what will be most reliable and convenient option.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by utkinpol
it was very interesting to hear from somebody who went from S to TT and back to S...
still if I would have such a choice - I would get CPO TT, got used to it and then modded it to 700+ horses. pretty much the same thing what Larry did with his TT, probably.

but if car is anticipated to be a daily driver and beaten all year round - who knows what will be most reliable and convenient option.
Oh, btw, I had it up to 650hp + other mods. Still, the S wins for me.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:21 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by taylorcoleman
Oh, btw, I had it up to 650hp + other mods. Still, the S wins for me.
could you give us more details perhaps? what was involved in this decision? it is an unusual experience to go back & forth from a 'dark side'.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by utkinpol
could you give us more details perhaps? what was involved in this decision? it is an unusual experience to go back & forth from a 'dark side'.
Well, here's a long thread from my GT3 to the 997S.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...3-997-2-a.html

I couldn't quickly find my old thread on going from my turbo to the GT3, but it's out there somewhere.

Here's a vid to my turbo w/ 650hp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVrb390VGpI

Here's vid of my GT3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8Za39qGWZE

Here's a vid of my 997S

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3K_zFUGtH4

Old 09-14-2010, 03:44 PM
PHOENIX RISING is on a distinguished road
WOW,

Let me qualify my statement by saying that I am a newbie to the Porsche world. I've only had my car since April and didn't drive many before that, so I am not speaking from a huge repository of experience.

However, based on what I know, and for me, the Turbo wins hands down. That is a phenomenal price. If there was a Turbo avail for that price when I was buying, I would have bought a Turbo over my C2S.

don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my car and am very happy with my decision. Teh car has 4200 miles on it when I bought it and it still smelled new. Came with a warranty, and the price was right. But a Turbo for $65K. WOW.

My only reservation on the Turbo would be that it is Black. I love black and there is really nothing like black when it is new and clean/waxed/polished. However, the swirl marks on black drive me crazy. After 3 black vehicles, black isn't my first choice.

Good luck, YOU ABSOLUTELY CAN'T MAKE A WRONG DECISION in this situation!!!!!! That should make you feel a lot better.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:58 PM
DaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond repute
Tough decision that one. I think I'd probably personally go with the Turbo, not just because its a Turbo but because of all the options that you get standard. There's almost nothing extra needed on a Turbo, which for me at least takes some of the difficulty out of finding the correctly optioned S. 40k miles is really nothing to worry about either on these cars, and for $65k!

Old 09-14-2010, 04:56 PM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
If you do not go with the 997TT, please let me know where it is located.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:14 PM
Simply be advised that a $65k tt will quickly morph into an $85k tt. Assuming the car has no stories, the tt entry price seems excellent.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Opinions