997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

which one is better?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 01:30 AM
vraxinus will become famous soon enoughvraxinus will become famous soon enough
which one is better?

i'm just wondering which exhaust is better for 997 C2S..Tubi, sharkwerks, or techart? any comments between each exhaust please let me know. Thanks

Last edited by vraxinus; 11-12-2010 at 01:31 AM. Reason: adding info
Old 11-12-2010, 06:27 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Are you talking about muffler only?

Old 11-12-2010, 06:33 AM
imolazhp_ci is a glorious beacon of lightimolazhp_ci is a glorious beacon of lightimolazhp_ci is a glorious beacon of lightimolazhp_ci is a glorious beacon of lightimolazhp_ci is a glorious beacon of light
performance differences from exhaust alone are fairly marginal between companies. for me i'd almost always buy from a smaller independent company like sharkwerks vs. a large tuning house like techart.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:21 AM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
I agree with last post: don't expect any noticeable change in response. The main thing you get is different sound, and we all have different tastes. Suggest you listen to cars that have after-market exhaust or PSE and pick the one that meets your needs.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:58 PM
DocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud of
Try some YouTube searches. Recorded audio is not the same as hearing it in person but at least you can get an idea of the differences in sound. Also search for gundo hack: the cheapest option but sounds pretty good.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:52 PM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Gundo hack doesn't work on the 997.2 the same way as it does on the .1's... as I understand it there is no benefit on the .2's with the hack.

Each company has its own sound they bring to the table. It's very much subjective to personal preference. Remus has a great sounding system for the 987, but I haven't seen or heard what they have for the 997.2, if anything. Personally I like what I've heard thus far from AWE and a few others; on the other hand, what I DON'T like to hear is the metallic "rasp" intrinsic to certain aftermkt systems.

If you are looking for a basic improvement to your 997.2, get either the SharkWerks or AWE muffler bypass section, and rid yourself of that center muffler. You will gain some hp/tq AND sound with this mod without adding any exhaust drone in the cabin. Imho, this is a great place to start, and inexpensively, too.

You can also do the x-pipe swap (slightly quieter) instead of the regular muffler bypass, which will cost you a tad of low-end torque. Imho, the aforementioned muffler bypass replacement pair is a better bet. Either of these mods will net you a modest weight savings over OEM. (which is always a good thing)

The next step is mufflers (or, as an alternative to the muffler bypass, a complete "catback system")- you can improve the sound a bit more (depending on what flavor of sound you like), while also further increasing the weight savings over your OEM setup. Keep in mind that the catback systems generally employ the muffler bypass section and likewise also deletes the center muffler.

If you want to go with a complete aftermarket system (headers to tailpipe) just keep in mind that hi-flow aftermkt primary cats by and large aren't CARB approved and will cause you to fail your smog when its due. (this is why they state "for offroad applications only") You probably have at least another 3 years before you will have to concern yourself with that, though.

Last edited by 1BlinkGone; 11-12-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:43 PM
vraxinus will become famous soon enoughvraxinus will become famous soon enough
Thanks all for your reply. I look at tubi, sharkwerks, and techart but people say that sharkwerks bypass system is too loud for 997. is that true?
And i've look at the techart race exhaust and it actually sounds good. do you think it is too loud? anyone use techart race exhaust yet?

Old 11-13-2010, 01:57 PM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
I got Tubi, and I only thought it was faster because I revved it higher in order to hear the wonderful sound. Maybe, it was a little faster. I then got a tune which again not very noticeable in performance. Then recently I got the fabspeed cold air intake and I really feel and hear a big difference.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:07 PM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
Originally Posted by vraxinus
Thanks all for your reply. I look at tubi, sharkwerks, and techart but people say that sharkwerks bypass system is too loud for 997. is that true?
And i've look at the techart race exhaust and it actually sounds good. do you think it is too loud? anyone use techart race exhaust yet?
I cannot reply from firsthand knowledge, but to assume the remaining OEM porsche mufflers in the exhaust system are louder than something from Tubi, or anybody else I have a very hard time believing, in fact I would tend to believe the opposite. Remember, the SW muffler bypass only removes the center muffler (which, btw, every other catback aftermkt exhaust system deletes as well) but leaves the two OEM side mufflers in place. It's not like a wide-open system void of mufflers. AWE also offers a similar bypass solution, fwiw.

Here's a video link with a SW 997.2S with only the center muffler bypass installed- there are two different videos to check out here (I am not an employee of Sharkwerks); if i recall the only mods to this exhaust system is the center muffler bypass, and TechArt tips:

http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=193

I'm sure the overall sound would be augmented more, with the right choice of aftermarket mufflers.

Last edited by 1BlinkGone; 11-13-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:22 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Thanks for the kind words guys and if anything I would say our center section by itself is still nice and quiet inside. Some folks actually want to pair it with a set of tubi mufflers to make it louder which you can also do

Old 11-13-2010, 07:34 PM
KaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura about
Here is a link when I went though a few phases of exhaust.......ultimately with PSE. The sound is very close to the actual sound, and, keep in mind that from a standing postition it is not nearly as nice as-when you are running the car on the steet.

All vids were taken with the car warm so you don't get the initial warm-up sound which is very misleading. (And the car has no air intake alteration, which also has an impact on the sound).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUTmnOvuW6I

Old 11-13-2010, 09:14 PM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
Last sounds best to me!

How did you get Tinkerbell to fly through the last shot? LOL

Old 11-13-2010, 11:03 PM
robfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of light
I have the tubi and love love love it.............................Notice the aggressive sound on startup and it unleashes at 4000 RPMs but is normally very tame and liveable. The only downside I can think of for the TUBI exhaust is the PRICE!!!

Old 11-14-2010, 12:23 AM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
AWE gets my vote. Great sound, not obnoxious loud, and great quality.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:57 AM
lee7758 is on a distinguished road
I am using the sharkwerks x pipe! I like it and sounds very good to me!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.