997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Drive-Off Assist / Hill Start?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 02:30 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by stevepow
A friend of mine has a very short, steep driveway - getting up it to get my *** out of the road, without scraping the car, and without lunging forward crashing into his garage door, with hill assist is a stunt at best ...
Hill assist should not be kicking in unless you are using the brakes to stop the car partway up the driveway.

Either
  • creep up the driveway in first in a slow and continuous motion
  • as others have suggested, if its that tight you need to stop and check spacing/distance and proceed again, then use the handbrake.
  • practice with the gas so you get a feel for the level of throttle needed to push through the hill-assist and then let slightly off. If you are trying to move the car forward an inch or three after stopping, this probably isn't the option you want.. its not for positioning a car that precisely.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:34 PM
mathfuzzy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Minok
You would have noticed, that with clutch in and foot off brake... the car doesn't roll back. (or were you using the handbrake to keep the car in place while you moved from brake to gas?)

That holding of the brakes is what the assist does. It is depending upon the ANGLE of the car and I believe, the selected gear (ie if the selected gear would have you go in a direction opposite where gravity will pull you.. though I cannot be sure; ie if you are pointed nose uphill, and select reverse, the assist does not come on, but if you are pointing downhill and selected reverse, the assist does come on).

The manual for the car has a good description of the process.

It does take some time getting used to it; it feels initially like a lot of force is needed to release the brake. Once you let off of the brake pedal, the car holds the brakes on for a fixed amount of time, or until the engine provides enough forward torque. You just need to get used to having to drive through that resistance.
Thanks - yep - I figured out after the fact that the drive-off assist was activated, but my first reaction was, "oh, s*#%, how did I leave the car in 3rd gear?!" It was a strong enough sensation of trying to start in the wrong gear that it made me immediately stop what I was doing and check to make sure I was in first.

My GF and I are heading to the City tonight for dinner - I'm sure she's going to wonder why I'll be driving out of our way to find hilly streets on which to practice. Not sure it's worth trying to explain...

Old 12-01-2010, 07:24 PM
mathfuzzy is on a distinguished road
okay, I'm gettting along just fine with the assist now

Okay, now that I've had a chance to get used to drive-off assist - or more accurately, remember that it's there, I'm liking it.

I've drive in San Francisco a couple of times since the original post, and now that I know what to expect, I kind of like the help. I had to back up an incline to parallel park last Friday night and found it kind of handy. The only unsettling thing was on a VERY steep incline, where it hung in there longer than I expected.

Anyway, drive-off assist and I are getting along just fine now.