Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Engine won't start - "check battery disconnect switch"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 06:49 AM
adnanm3 can only hope to improve
Engine won't start - "check battery disconnect switch"

My 2007 Vantage is not starting and displays the message "Check battery disconnect switch." The battery disconnect button was never pressed in the trunk. I am unable to locate the battery re-connect switch. From what I have searched it is supposed to be behind the passenger side seat.

The funny thing is that the engine is cranking but not starting. This is a Manual transmission 2007. If the battery disconnect switch was activated would the engine still attempt to turn over? I am trying this with a booster pack connected to the engine, so power is not the issue. Could there be something else going on?

Old 08-29-2015, 12:59 PM
I took a look behind the pass side seat and cannot find this battery reconnect switch for the life of me. I took out the floor carpeting and this is all I see. I attached pics of what it looks like behind the pass side seat (first 3 pics).
The last 2 pics are behind the driver side seat (I didn't take out the carpeting). Can anyone provide me with some direction where this switch could be?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20150829_141202.jpg
Views:	901
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	427192   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150829_141643.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	918.7 KB
ID:	427193   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150829_141654.jpg
Views:	1139
Size:	779.5 KB
ID:	427194   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150829_141826.jpg
Views:	984
Size:	814.7 KB
ID:	427195   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150829_141834.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	743.0 KB
ID:	427196  

Old 08-29-2015, 08:11 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
I would also try locking/unlocking from the key fob a couple of times. Could be in 'alarm' mode.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 08-29-2015, 10:27 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
What is the state of the battery? Why are you using a jumper? Start with a fresh battery install. Battery disconnect switch is not switchable by mechanical operation on your MY it was only 2006.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:28 AM
Well in my state of despair I opened the trunk and pressed the "Battery Disconnect switch"
Now the dash will not even light up.
If the battery disconnect switch is not switchable by mechanical operation, where can I find it?
I found the button in the rear hatch to activate battery disconnect and heard something click inside. Now the car won't even crank. Not sure what to do now..

Old 08-30-2015, 02:48 PM
SandmanG500 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by adnanm3
Well in my state of despair I opened the trunk and pressed the "Battery Disconnect switch"
Now the dash will not even light up.
If the battery disconnect switch is not switchable by mechanical operation, where can I find it?
I found the button in the rear hatch to activate battery disconnect and heard something click inside. Now the car won't even crank. Not sure what to do now..
I had the same problem. This is what I did to clear the problem. My V8 is 2008 and convertible.

I removed the battery, send it to Autozone to have it fully charged. I took out the carpeting from trunk and disconnect the fuse box main wire(red). Reconnect everything, worked fine for me.

I later discovered that my fuse box is damaged from previous accident. I replaced it with a unit I bought from eBay. My V8 has been fine since June.

Added details: Previous Owner put a recycled INTERSTATE battery in there. I guess the battery is the culprit.

Last edited by SandmanG500; 08-30-2015 at 02:57 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:25 PM
Alright, I will give this a try.
So just to get this straight, there is no battery re-connect switch in a Manual Transmission 2007 AM V8 Vantage? There is certainly a Battery Disconnect Switch in the rear hatch. I would assume there is a way to undo the "battery disconnect"

Old 08-30-2015, 06:18 PM
Vantagelvr will become famous soon enoughVantagelvr will become famous soon enough
Alright, I will give this a try.
So just to get this straight, there is no battery re-connect switch in a Manual Transmission 2007 AM V8 Vantage? There is certainly a Battery Disconnect Switch in the rear hatch. I would assume there is a way to undo the "battery disconnect"
No there is no manual battery re connect switch . When you press the button in the trunk it switches a relay which disconnects the main power to the starter and some of the computers in the car to save battery power .
I believe once you unlock the car and put the key in the ignition it returns the battery back to the full operation mode and allows you to start the car .
Have you checked the battery voltage with a meter ?

Old 09-05-2015, 10:41 PM
ArtB is a jewel in the roughArtB is a jewel in the roughArtB is a jewel in the rough
Guys,
The reset switch is behind the passengers side seat in the US market cars. It is low by the floor and has a black plastic circular opening and my switch inside is a yellow push button plunger. My buddy had an '07 Vantage and his was in the same place. When you hit the battery cutoff in the boot, you have to reset the cutoff with this switch. Here is a picture of it behind the seat. Hope that helps guys!

Attached Images  
Old 09-06-2015, 10:04 AM
cadman is a jewel in the roughcadman is a jewel in the roughcadman is a jewel in the rough
just for the hell of it,checked my07 v8v NO connect switch for battery either..the
round hole is there at bottom behind seat,just a big relay in there....

Old 09-06-2015, 10:07 AM
cadman is a jewel in the roughcadman is a jewel in the roughcadman is a jewel in the rough
please
does anyone have the procedure (for sure) from the owners manual,for cars without
a reconnect switch.... dying to press that switch in trunk,

Old 09-21-2015, 06:38 PM
I still can't find the re-connect switch. Its not in that location in my 2007 Vantage manual. Any idea what to do for a manual car?

Old 09-21-2015, 06:51 PM
Vantagelvr will become famous soon enoughVantagelvr will become famous soon enough
I still can't find the re-connect switch. Its not in that location in my 2007 Vantage manual. Any idea what to do for a manual car?
Let's start at the beginning . You need three things to make it start .

Engine cranking , fuel & ignition . You have a cranking engine (post #1) so it's not a battery problem (assuming it's cranking fast enough) so it's either fuel or ignition . Nothing to do with battery disconnects etc . The idea of the switch in the trunk as I already stated is to disable starting (cranking) and reduce the #of computers in use to save power during storage .

Old 09-22-2015, 06:58 PM
Engine is cranking and I have a brand new battery. The problem is fuel. My mechanic said there is no power going to my fuel pump by checking the relay at the passenger side footwell. When manually feeding it power, he was able to start the car. The dash still displays the battery check error. For some reason, the car is not feeding power to the fuel pump module.

Old 09-25-2015, 01:51 PM
Does anyone know if there is an inertia switch somewhere In the car? I.e.-after a minor accident is something automatically triggered to cutoff power to the fpdm? I feel this is the issue, since the car starts right up when it is manually Given power.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine won't start - "check battery disconnect switch"