997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

PCM doesnt work......sometimes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 01:48 PM
Ryanm51981 is infamous around these parts
Angry PCM doesnt work......sometimes

I have had my car since May and this is the third time my PCM has stopped working . I get a white screen, hear the amp clicking on and off and then it just goes black. After awhile the problem goes away...Anyone ever heard of this?

Old 11-26-2010, 03:03 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Have you checked your battery? You may need a new one.

Old 11-26-2010, 03:16 PM
I was thinking that also... Noticed my clock on the dash has been running a bit slow. Could that also be a sign the battery is going?

Old 11-26-2010, 03:55 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
When a battery starts loosing its charge, all sorts of weird things happen.

Start with a new one, and see if things improve.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:14 AM
na011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nice
Ditto for NorthVan. About a month before by battery went out the PCM had a mind of it own. Since the battery change 8-9 months ago not one problem.

Also keep an eye on the water level in the battery. I have to add water 2-3 times a year. A battery with low water will shorten it's life.

Old 11-28-2010, 01:36 PM
Changed the battery and its still not working ...Could the PCM be fried?

Old 11-28-2010, 02:58 PM
lee7758 is infamous around these parts
How about I got a disc stuck in the PCM? Anyway I can get the disc out ???

Old 11-28-2010, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by Ryanm51981
Changed the battery and its still not working ...Could the PCM be fried?
Sometimes a charge isn't going to get your battery back up to the required level. There is a chance that the PCM is fried, I have heard new ones are $2500.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:43 PM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by lee7758
How about I got a disc stuck in the PCM? Anyway I can get the disc out ???
I've had one get stuck because it didn't load properly. In that case, I used another disc to push it in a little bit further until it was aligned and then it was able to play & eject.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:36 PM
Strangley it started working again..I dont get it

Old 11-28-2010, 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by Ryanm51981
Strangley it started working again..I dont get it
It sounds like a battery that needs to be replaced.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:38 AM
HATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of light
PCM failure in .1 997s is fairly common. Once they start acting up they don't cure themselves. The problems are intermittent and become more frequent over time ie; white screens, audio in and out, mysteriously changing channels. The clicking you hear is the MOST loop trying to power up through its cycle.

Couple of things you can do to assist and prolong having it replaced :

1- Do a hard reboot of the system. Pull the red 10 amp fuse behind the panel in the driver footwell( bottom row, 2nd to last fuse all the way to the right ) Let it sit for an hour and put it back in.

2- Always lock the car when not in use.

Not sure what year your car is or what version of PCM software you have but the dealer did a "patch upgrade" using 2 or 3 cds. This helped for about a month with no issues and then mine started acting up again.

I contacted PCNA in Atlanta looking for some gratus help but they declined any kind of assistance. In the end, the dealer stepped up and put in a new unit with a 2 year warranty for $1k.

Good Luck.

Last edited by HATTRICK; 11-29-2010 at 07:30 AM. Reason: grammar-punctuation. too damn early and no java yet
Old 11-29-2010, 04:39 PM
cobradoc is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by HATTRICK
PCM failure in .1 997s is fairly common. Once they start acting up they don't cure themselves. The problems are intermittent and become more frequent over time ie; white screens, audio in and out, mysteriously changing channels. The clicking you hear is the MOST loop trying to power up through its cycle.

Couple of things you can do to assist and prolong having it replaced :

1- Do a hard reboot of the system. Pull the red 10 amp fuse behind the panel in the driver footwell( bottom row, 2nd to last fuse all the way to the right ) Let it sit for an hour and put it back in.

2- Always lock the car when not in use.

Not sure what year your car is or what version of PCM software you have but the dealer did a "patch upgrade" using 2 or 3 cds. This helped for about a month with no issues and then mine started acting up again.

I contacted PCNA in Atlanta looking for some gratus help but they declined any kind of assistance. In the end, the dealer stepped up and put in a new unit with a 2 year warranty for $1k.

Good Luck.
$2500? $1000? Expensive for a mediocre media center, but I guess it's to be expected given the marque. Does locking the car turn off the PCM vs leaving it in standby when it's unlocked?

Old 11-29-2010, 08:48 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
I don't know what year the OP's car is, but if it is still under warranty, I wouldn't hesitate to get it fixed by the dealer. I was quoted $2500 when I thought mine was faulty earlier this year.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:13 PM
My car is an 05 so its def. out of warranty. Im pretty pissed right now that sooner or later im gonna have to start shopping around for a new PCM. HatTricks reply to this post is exactly what mine is doing .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PCM doesnt work......sometimes