997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

It's almost freezing! Will you drop the top??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 10:00 PM
shumphries is on a distinguished road
It's almost freezing! Will you drop the top??

How cold does it need to be before you won't drop the top?

In Houston, between heated seats, a coat, and weather that's rarely if ever truly cold, there's usually nothing to keep you from enjoying top-down driving through the winter.

For me, it depends mostly on my mood, but I love to drive with the top down pretty much until my fingers go numb...

Porsche tells us officially not to put the top down in freezing temps (I guess so we don't crack the back window?), but will you go topless at 50 degrees? 40?

Old 12-06-2010, 10:43 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
I had my roof open in the low 40s today - very sunny though; nice. Heated seats and wheel made it just right.

I don't think I'd have a cabbie open though - below 60 is when that just isn't much fun to me.

30s - - I don't even want to be out there! 20s - I gotta move south!...more south!

Old 12-06-2010, 10:49 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by stevepow
I had my roof open in the low 40s today - very sunny though; nice. Heated seats and wheel made it just right.

I don't think I'd have a cabbie open though - below 60 is when that just isn't much fun to me.

30s - - I don't even want to be out there! 20s - I gotta move south!...more south!
Agree.....55-60 is my mark and even then the heated seats and the heater is ON!

I especially agree with the moving south part,LOL!

Stacy

Old 12-07-2010, 12:37 AM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by justatoy
Agree.....55-60 is my mark and even then the heated seats and the heater is ON!

I especially agree with the moving south part,LOL!

Stacy
I would say I'm around the 60 degree mark as well, but I have put it down in the high 50s. So, same range..heated seats definitely help and yes, the heat on high.

Michael

Old 12-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Weasel is just really niceWeasel is just really niceWeasel is just really niceWeasel is just really niceWeasel is just really nice
Originally Posted by michaeldantep
I would say I'm around the 60 degree mark as well, but I have put it down in the high 50s. So, same range..heated seats definitely help and yes, the heat on high.

Michael
60 degrees or better for me . . . funny how we're all at or near the same top-down temperature threshold (so far).

Old 12-09-2010, 11:48 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Funny living in South Florida heated seats weren't a big factor at the time, however we have had more cold days this December than we usually get all winter. I personally love it, I put mine down and heat on high but then again we only usually see 50's occassional 40's until noon time in the winter

Old 12-09-2010, 12:31 PM
spgmfo is just really nicespgmfo is just really nicespgmfo is just really nicespgmfo is just really nicespgmfo is just really nice
Depends on the time of year. If we're coming out of a long, cold winter, then 50 is warm enough, especially with heated seats. In fall, when the blood has thinned due to a hot summer, 60's the limit.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:06 PM
mseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of light
Drove home from Albuquerque to Santa Fe late yesterday afternoon with the top down all the way. It was 58 and partly sunny when I left, 48 and dusk when I arrived home. With gloves and heated seats, as well as a Porsche windscreen with windows up, I was fine.
Out west, when it's 40 or above and the sun is out, it's plenty warm.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:30 PM
ksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to all
If it's sunny I don't care what the temp is!

Old 12-11-2010, 01:19 PM
simoncpj is on a distinguished road
Other problem here in SoCal - top is up in summer when it is too hot out. Has been a touch chilly here lately but supposed to be 79 today.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:48 PM
J.Seven is on a distinguished road
Yes 13º to 16º is fine without sun. With sun you can go 8º-10º easy. Heated seats and wind screen are a must.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:19 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by J.Seven
Yes 13º to 16º is fine without sun. With sun you can go 8º-10º easy. Heated seats and wind screen are a must.
You mean Celsius of course!

Old 12-11-2010, 07:01 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
above 50F

Old 12-11-2010, 08:44 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
As to temp I would suggest that you put the top down whenever you like and raise it again if you feel too cold (Sorry). If you are worried about the rear window that is a totally different question. Zipper would come in handy there.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:53 PM
Tripleblack will become famous soon enoughTripleblack will become famous soon enough
I'm tempted to put the top down on cold sunny days but I think people will think I'm a nut.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: It's almost freezing! Will you drop the top??