997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Optima Battery for C2S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 09:24 AM
simtiaz has a spectacular aura aboutsimtiaz has a spectacular aura about
Optima Battery for C2S

Does anyone know which Optima Battery C2S uses? also will stock battery tray hold the battery in place or one needs to get a tray kit? Any info will be appreciated.
Thanks
Sid

Old 01-03-2011, 09:53 AM
Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !
Optima Redtop - 34R

You will need a tray kit or make one yourself (about $15-20 w/ supplies from local Target or Bed Bath Beyond, plus 4 machine screws w/ washers and lock nuts). In addition, you may need longer cables but try a dry fit first. FWIW, you can loosen the cables from their connection point and turn a bit to sometimes get 1-2" more of reach.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:30 AM
Thanks you for this information, any info on part#'s from Target/BBB?

Old 01-03-2011, 11:21 AM
Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !
LOL - sorry no p/n b/c any HDPE cutting board in the color of your choice (approx 1/3 thick or more) will suffice - (like this one). I don't remember exact dimensions but IIRC, it needs to be about 8" wide by 17" long to start and you trim from there using common hand tools to fit.

TIP: use the base of the OEM battery as a template to mark the cutting board for outer dimensions. Then, once trimmed, place in battery tray and test fit Optima (for cable reach - make sure they can connect - adjust cables or buy longer one if needed - it varies car to car ). Mark the Optima's position on cutting board and remove all from car. Outside of vehicle, place Optima on cutting board in fitted position. Mark the 4 spots thru holes in base of Optima onto cutting board. Remove Optima, drill the 4 holes in cutting board and counter sink bottom in board so screw heads will be recessed. Then, secure Optima to cutting board using 4 screws, washers and lock-nuts (from bottom up thru cutting board and battery). Reinstall as one piece in vehicle. Tighten down battery retaining clamp to cutting board and connect + then - cables. Close hood and go - DONE (after you reset windows and PSM warning light goes away once you drive a short bit)!

You can also buy a pre-made kit from Pedro at www.Pedrosgarage.com (highly recommend) or Yellow Dog Motorsports (no experience w/).

Old 01-03-2011, 03:05 PM
Recalcitrant is just really niceRecalcitrant is just really niceRecalcitrant is just really niceRecalcitrant is just really nice
I have these in all my cars. Can't recommend them enough. Awesome product. I had one go bad after 7 years. They do screwy screwy stuff when they finally give way!

Old 01-03-2011, 05:00 PM
norton has a spectacular aura aboutnorton has a spectacular aura aboutnorton has a spectacular aura about
I must really be missing something here..

I have read all about having to build a special plate, buy one for upwards of $100, buy longer cables, etc. on many threads and other forums, and I have installed an Optima group 34R using just the stock plate and existing holes and plate on my 2006 C2S without any of that... I don't see the issue?

The Optima 34R has the - and + terminals reversed so they are positioned to be used by the stock cables.. you will have to loosen the ground cable to pivot it onto the battery post-- it is a tight fit but it does work. Also-- the 34r fits fine in the mounting plate and I just used the large plastic tab that came with the battery (my best price was at Battery plus) and a longer bolt than stock and things work fine-- over a year, no issues. I also connected the new battery to the car's cables with jumper cables prior to disconnecting the cables from the old battery-- so I didn't have any issues with resetting any car settings, etc when changing the batteries. I was careful and wrapped the connections with towels to insulate them from any shorting, etc.

Warning-- the Optima batteries have tremendous cranking power and self discharge less than a flooded cell (normal) battery, but they are far short of the "reserve capacity" rating of the stock type battery. Like about 30 minutes, I believe. So be aware of that.. (don't leave your headlights or other major current drain on for an extended time).

Love the Optimas out here in AZ because all other batteries require major added water frequently due to our desert conditions (high heat, very low humidity).

If you want or need, I can take pictures and post if I can figure out how.

Good luck!

Old 01-04-2011, 07:58 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by norton
I have read all about having to build a special plate, buy one for upwards of $100, buy longer cables, etc. on many threads and other forums, and I have installed an Optima group 34R using just the stock plate and existing holes and plate on my 2006 C2S without any of that... I don't see the issue?

The Optima 34R has the - and + terminals reversed so they are positioned to be used by the stock cables.. you will have to loosen the ground cable to pivot it onto the battery post-- it is a tight fit but it does work. Also-- the 34r fits fine in the mounting plate and I just used the large plastic tab that came with the battery (my best price was at Battery plus) and a longer bolt than stock and things work fine-- over a year, no issues. I also connected the new battery to the car's cables with jumper cables prior to disconnecting the cables from the old battery-- so I didn't have any issues with resetting any car settings, etc when changing the batteries. I was careful and wrapped the connections with towels to insulate them from any shorting, etc.

Warning-- the Optima batteries have tremendous cranking power and self discharge less than a flooded cell (normal) battery, but they are far short of the "reserve capacity" rating of the stock type battery. Like about 30 minutes, I believe. So be aware of that.. (don't leave your headlights or other major current drain on for an extended time).

Love the Optimas out here in AZ because all other batteries require major added water frequently due to our desert conditions (high heat, very low humidity).

If you want or need, I can take pictures and post if I can figure out how.

Good luck!
Thanks for the info - I'd like to see the pics if you get a chance. The Optima length is shorter than OEM so I'm not sure how you secured the battery in the OEM tray with the hold down and IIRC the Optima lip does't fit under the OEM tray that secures the battery. Thanks again.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:04 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
what about this reverse terminals issue?
I see 2 batteries on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Optima-Batteri.../dp/B000MS9VZA

and

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SN0Z9DVGGSVXC2

they seem to have those terminals reversed. is that a problem? or are those both not the right ones?

Old 01-04-2011, 08:07 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by utkinpol
The first one is the 34R and that's the one you need. BTW, most auto parts stores (even Wal-Mart and Sams) carry Optima's less than the Amazon price plus if search over on Rennlist there was a $95 opportunity available before March 1.

Last edited by jhbrennan; 01-04-2011 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:57 AM
wow thanks for this info Norton, I actually got on a special buy for optima and deal was so good that I couldn't pass. Currently I don't need a new batter in my car but before I order I wanted to make sure that I get the correct battery and don't need any additional hardware etc to install it. I would appreciate if you can post pictures for us.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:16 AM
xXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond repute
Sub.

J

Old 01-05-2011, 05:02 PM
norton has a spectacular aura aboutnorton has a spectacular aura aboutnorton has a spectacular aura about
Pics of Optima 34R in 2006 C2S...

Ok-- never done this before, but here goes. Pics show I used the existing 3rd hole in the stock battery mounting plate (it has a nut on the underside) to insert a 10mm bolt (I think) to hold the battery down. The V-shaped plastic hold-down came with the Optima accessory kit It is designed for use in a General Motors battery installation (identical on my '97 Tahoe). The bolt is too long, I know-- crappy installation but I was too lazy to get a proper sized one at the time! A plastic plate came with the Optima battery that snaps onto the battery bottom and extends on both sides of the battery to engage the stock battery tray steel hold down lips. I bought the battery from Batteries Plus for like $150 including a $25 summer rebate (last summer) and included were all the installation bits that I have never seen at an Auto Zone or Checkers, etc parts store.

PS-- taking advantage of the extra storage space offered by the smaller battery, the black nylon zippered bag next to the battery is my spare tire!!! Actually, my tire repair kit-- plugs, repair tools, adhesive, etc.
Saves a bunch of room in the frunk!!!!!

Attached Images   
Old 08-29-2012, 11:23 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
This worked for me. Had to purchase a M8-1.25x35MM bolt for the holder. Costco no longer carries Optima so got it at Autozone (Adapters Included).

Attached Images  
Old 08-29-2012, 11:30 PM
xXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond repute
^What battery is that exactly?

Do the battery tenders work just fine with those gel batteries?

J

Old 08-29-2012, 11:36 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
If you have one that supports Gel Cell type batteries like Optima they do. I have a CTEK 7000 and it works great.

http://smartercharger.com/battery-chargers/#CTEK Multi US 7002

It's an Optima 34R battery.

Last edited by ntlgnt1; 08-29-2012 at 11:39 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Optima Battery for C2S