997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997S VF-Engineering S/C Came!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 09:35 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
You can very safely be at 530hp and faster and more enjoyable than a bloated, sloppy 997TT with some tweaks to your setup.

Try this:

-Remove the IPD plenum and use your OEM unit. The IPD Plenum is a known thief of HP when running FI via the VF-E SC. RSS/IPD should give you a refund since they offer 100% money back satisfaction.

-Remove the 3.8" pulley. You need to go with the 3.6" pulley to acquire the 6.1psi boost, as measured right at the TB. There is no debate there among anyone of us who have done this. As such, a C2S (stock 355hp) should be at 450hp at the wheels, or 520-530hp at the crank.

-Many guys are safely running the 3.4" pulley to produce around 7.2 psi at redline and WOT, resulting in the neighborhood of 550-560 crank hp, again probably safe for the block, but possibly more than your reflexes, brakes, suspension, or tires can handle.
CATTMAN

Old 04-23-2011, 01:32 AM
808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !
Cattman,

Thank you for your suggestions. I had this conversation with Justatoy as well, and he did mention the same thing as you. I wonder why the IPD would do this when it's suppose to improve air flow to the cylinders? I will consider changing this and see if it makes a difference. Did you notice a difference when you changed out your IPD?

I'm really considering going to the 3.6 pulley as you've suggested. I believe I can still use the existing belt? Don't I have to consider flowing more fuel to maintain correct A/F ratio?

On another note, why would VF-E say that their 3.8 pulley produce 6 PSI at redline when it's been proven by you guys that is not the case?

Originally Posted by Cattman
You can very safely be at 530hp and faster and more enjoyable than a bloated, sloppy 997TT with some tweaks to your setup.

Try this:

-Remove the IPD plenum and use your OEM unit. The IPD Plenum is a known thief of HP when running FI via the VF-E SC. RSS/IPD should give you a refund since they offer 100% money back satisfaction.

-Remove the 3.8" pulley. You need to go with the 3.6" pulley to acquire the 6.1psi boost, as measured right at the TB. There is no debate there among anyone of us who have done this. As such, a C2S (stock 355hp) should be at 450hp at the wheels, or 520-530hp at the crank.

-Many guys are safely running the 3.4" pulley to produce around 7.2 psi at redline and WOT, resulting in the neighborhood of 550-560 crank hp, again probably safe for the block, but possibly more than your reflexes, brakes, suspension, or tires can handle.
CATTMAN

Old 04-23-2011, 07:18 AM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 808c2s
Cattman,

Thank you for your suggestions. I had this conversation with Justatoy as well, and he did mention the same thing as you. I wonder why the IPD would do this when it's suppose to improve air flow to the cylinders? I will consider changing this and see if it makes a difference. Did you notice a difference when you changed out your IPD?

I'm really considering going to the 3.6 pulley as you've suggested. I believe I can still use the existing belt? Don't I have to consider flowing more fuel to maintain correct A/F ratio?

On another note, why would VF-E say that their 3.8 pulley produce 6 PSI at redline when it's been proven by you guys that is not the case?

I was getting really weird readings on my Durametric data with the IPD plenum, and when I yanked it, things looked perfect. Even VF-E recommends yanking the IPD unit when adding FI. Not sure why it has that negative impact, other than to say that it wasn't designed for FI.

I have no idea why VF-E says that the 3.8" pulley makes 6psi when it doesn't. Stacy and I speculate that they are measuring boost in a different location, closer to the blower and further from the TB. I measure mine AT the TB, and it's 6.1psi at redline and WOT with the 3.6" pulley.

Yes, you will have to correct for AFR if going to a smaller pulley.
CATTMAN

Old 04-23-2011, 01:29 PM
808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !
Cattman,

Sounds good. Will do. Thanks. You got PM.

I was getting really weird readings on my Durametric data with the IPD plenum, and when I yanked it, things looked perfect. Even VF-E recommends yanking the IPD unit when adding FI. Not sure why it has that negative impact, other than to say that it wasn't designed for FI.

I have no idea why VF-E says that the 3.8" pulley makes 6psi when it doesn't. Stacy and I speculate that they are measuring boost in a different location, closer to the blower and further from the TB. I measure mine AT the TB, and it's 6.1psi at redline and WOT with the 3.6" pulley.

CATTMAN

Old 04-23-2011, 10:14 PM
Jam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud of
Good info, considering FI, not sure s/c or turbo. Makes me wonder if the turbo kit is really 520hp as advertised??

Old 04-23-2011, 10:17 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !

CATTMAN
Hey Cattman,

IF memory serves me correctly.......you are running the 3.4" pulley right now!

BUt as far as pulley sizes go VS boost on the 997....here is what I think I remember ,
These were measured right BEHIND the throttle body......

Size PSI
3.8" = 4
3.6" = 4.7
3.48"= 5.4
3.4" = 6.1

These are approximate numbers due to the fact I was using a mechanical gauge and it was really tough to watch while full throttle in third gear and watching the pavement fly by.....but the numbers are close!

Cheers,

Stacy

Old 04-24-2011, 12:39 AM
WTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant future
Nothing upsets me more then false advertising.. I am buying my kit knowing that most honest reporters think it's not putting out the power specified as supplied. The main reason I still purchased is because of cattman and justatoy who have been pioneers in getting the power it should put out. I did the layaway program vivid was offering and have 2k to go.. She should be in my possession in June. Thanks in advance to all self installers for your support!!

Thanks
Carter

Old 04-24-2011, 06:07 AM
Originally Posted by WTFitsCarter
Nothing upsets me more then false advertising.. I am buying my kit knowing that most honest reporters think it's not putting out the power specified as supplied. The main reason I still purchased is because of cattman and justatoy who have been pioneers in getting the power it should put out. I did the layaway program vivid was offering and have 2k to go.. She should be in my possession in June. Thanks in advance to all self installers for your support!!

Thanks
Carter
Proud of you man, are you going to install it yourself, too? Do you know what pulley you're going to run?
CATTMAN

Old 04-24-2011, 07:23 AM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vividracing
91 and 93oct maps are different. Ambient temperature is different this can effect things too. If you have a stock exhaust or stock headers, this can make the car run differently.

To say what you have at the crank is moot considering the differences in how wheel horsepower dynos read and what % people calculate as drivetrain loss. Your car should feel significantly faster then it did stock. If it does not, you have a issue to check out.

Thanks
Carter
As said above by Vivid......
There are so many variables when checking the statistics of any one kit.
Headers,exhaust,plenums.....even the weight of oil you use!
One thing for sure that will change the boost numbers...
Where are they measuring boost?
VF may measure boost in a different location than I did...and they are truly seeing the 6 PSI advertised.As far as dyno's are concerned......well that has the most variables.Depending upon the type of dyno and conditions the car was tested there can be huge variances in the numbers....again VF may very well have seen the numbers they advertise!

One thing that you can count on IS that your car will definitely be faster and bang for the buck.......worth every penny!

So when you get it....enjoy and BE safe!

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 04-24-2011 at 07:28 AM.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:32 AM
WTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant future
Question... did it come with item 3F shown in this diagram? this is from the porsche manual on required parts for the center radiator retrofit.

Thanks!
Carter

Well, after a little over 1.5 months of anticipation, the VF-Engineering S/C Kit came! With the special deal from Vivid Racing, it was a no brainer for me. Dan from Vivid Racing was a pleasure to deal with and kept me abreast of my order. Very professional and courteous. Much appreciated.

Well here are some pictures of the updated Kit:

A few noticeable things at first glance:

1. The coolant lines have nylon-like sleeving over the rubber hoses.
2. Some of the hoses are already pre-bent, I guess to facilitate installation?
3. The K&N Filter has a plastic Heat Shield covering now, as you can see in the pix..nice touch

Attachment 141596

Attachment 141597

Attachment 141598

Now to go and read the instructions and find myself a lift .

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
center radiator.pdf (838.5 KB, 385 views)
Old 04-24-2011, 10:25 AM
Question... did it come with item 3F shown in this diagram? this is from the porsche manual on required parts for the center radiator retrofit.

Thanks!
Carter
NOT sure what 3F is referring to(front radiator weather-strip?)...but rest assured the kit IS complete to add the third radiator and Vivid racing,I am sure, will attest to it!

There was no money spared when they designed this kit...very well laid out and made of some of the best materials out there!

Stacy

Old 04-24-2011, 04:58 PM
Like justatoy said, the kit comes with everything that's needed to bolt it on. We did not have to order any additional stuff from Porsche.

Thanks!
Carter

Old 04-24-2011, 05:03 PM
I had a conversation with the technical dept at VF-Engineering.
This is what they said in their email:
We measure boost in the intake manifold. You can connect to the manifold vacuum line such as the one going to the bypass valve. If you leave it there permanently, it will not allow the bypass to react quickly, so that point is only suggested as a testing point.

Stracy, I believe that's where you measured your Boost?

Originally Posted by justatoy
Where are they measuring boost?
VF may measure boost in a different location than I did...and they are truly seeing the 6 PSI advertised.As far as dyno's are concerned......well that has the most variables.Depending upon the type of dyno and conditions the car was tested there can be huge variances in the numbers....again VF may very well have seen the numbers they advertise!

Stacy

Old 04-24-2011, 06:31 PM
We measure boost in the intake manifold. You can connect to the manifold vacuum line such as the one going to the bypass valve. If you leave it there permanently, it will not allow the bypass to react quickly, so that point is only suggested as a testing point.

Yup it was where I and three others have measured....with NO issues!
BUT the BEST spot would be to drill and tap a fitting into the plenum,like TPC did with their turbo! YES that would be easy to do....especially IF you are already KNEE deep in the install.

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 04-24-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:41 PM
getz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud of

If you pull your plenum, any interest in selling it?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997S VF-Engineering S/C Came!