997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

911 as daily driver?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 09:37 AM
nyte3k will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the quick responses!

I'm not worried about the back seats as I don't plan to have kids anytime soon, and a baby seat would be able to fit just fine. The only reason I was considering it as the sole car is because my significant other is...lets say... she's environmentally aware and not a fan of the multi-car household. lol

But i may have to get her to understand on that one, because one thing that does annoy me about daily driving in Atlanta are the terrible streets that haven't been paved in like 10 years, especially with the sports suspension of the coupe and the run-flat tires. Also I came out of the grocery store once to find a cart parked right in the nose of my car (luckily not scratch/damage).

Winter is not really an issue here, we may have like 5 days a year of icey/snowy conditions, but other than that, it's just cold (20s - 40s), dry, or hot (80s+) and humid.

@07speed, how do you cope with your daily drivers as two vipers and a C2S?

Old 02-20-2011, 12:36 PM
911ESQ is on a distinguished road
We have three cars - an 07 Lexus GX 470, an 06 BMW 3 series sedan, and a 07 C2 6 speed manual. We have 2 small kids. I really contemplated trading in the 06 BMW and using the 997 as a daily driver, but am so glad that we kept the 3 series. I drive my 997 on most days now, but it is great to drive the 3 series as well, especially when I need to take the kids somewhere or just don't feel like driving the 997 in stop and go traffic.

If you could do it, keep the 3 series. You'll be glad that you did. I live in LA and the stop and go gives you leg cramps.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:00 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
bachelor here. The Carrera is my only car. I put maybe 35 miles/day on it. And I try and pick one day per week when I don't drive it, to save a little wear+tear. I think the 18" tires have a tad more give than 19"-ers for the daily commute.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:05 PM
p's pcar will become famous soon enoughp's pcar will become famous soon enough
I DD mine about 30 miles a day. No problems. I think the 6 MT is the easiest MT I've driven in stop and go traffic. But I do have a Subaru Forester for a surfmobile.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:27 PM
tourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud of
I dd

my 911 and love it. I bought it with that purpose in mind. As long as you know what you are getting into (limited space, very hard ride) you will be fine. Stop and go traffic is no problem with PDK.

I would have absolutely no issue if it were my only car.

Good luck and enjoy the drive

Old 02-20-2011, 04:27 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Many of my 911 cars were daily drivers but it would be inaccurate to say it was the only car in the household . Also in recent years I noticed a rise in theft and huge decline in courtesy .

It's not the car that's the problem. It's the roads ,constuction, inclement weather, rude or careless people, and the lack of being able to really keep a 100K car in pristine shape without some type of worry or concern.

Most people imagine driving the awesome 911 in a fun setting but the negative aspects which spoil the fun of having the car and using it every day. I realize that some will disagree and maybe they don't mind having their cherished things exposed to the realities of the daily driving and parking environment.
Totally agree with this. It's not a problem with the car...it's the other factors such as road, other people etc. I daily my 996 50mile+/day but if I have plans to drop by a store etc etc...I take the other car.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:40 PM
tommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud of
I've had 911s as my daily driver for 13 years with no problem....it's my only car......my wife's car is an ML 350 and I would only drive hers if the snow was 2 feet deep. Other than that it's all that I drive....C4S though !

Old 02-20-2011, 07:28 PM
nyte3k will become famous soon enough
Well that's excellent to know... I actually was more worried about reliability in such conditions, but it seems my main concern would be external factors.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:25 PM
Brian GTS is on a distinguished road
These are made to be great driving cars. Now I do have garage queens that I do not drive very often, but I can't help but to drive the 911 as much as possible...pure fun driving machines.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:41 PM
ScottAtlGa will become famous soon enough
I am in Atlanta too and I drive from north Cobb to 85/285 and am contemplating making mine a dd as the result of the need to scale back by other vehicles. The other one is more practical but cheaper to unlaod than the 911. I had a 6speed and frankly, the shifting on 285 a couple of days a week drove me nuts. This car is a PDK. I'm a little concerned about the 100 miles per day on it, but again, cheaper than having two cars I suppose. I get a little tired of the ride sometimes and would like a smoother quieter vehicle a few days a week, which I have now, especially when the weather is bad, but sometimes you gotta tighten the budget..

Old 02-20-2011, 08:58 PM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Fantastic DD.. I wish I could actually drive it more

Old 02-21-2011, 03:26 AM
Comet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to all
Originally Posted by nyte3k
The only reason I was considering it as the sole car is because my significant other is...lets say... she's environmentally aware and not a fan of the multi-car household. lol
what what what?
a) is she your wife? if she isn't, then she has 0 say on WTF you do with your money and she should go make you 4 sandwiches (doesn't matter if you can eat them) so she may always remember her place: the kitchen, not your wallet. You're letting a girl bully you around on what you want to do with your money? I would never stand for that.. No one is worth giving up what you want to do for!

b) if you own one or 15 cars, it isn't like you are going to turn them all on at the same time to start "polluting". You will drive one at a time so what difference does it make if you own one or 15 cars? The manufacturing of said cars will create more pollution? they are being produce either way. Buy what you want man, you are the one who worked to get to where you are so enjoy whatever big boy toys you want to enjoy!!

c) are you a fan of multi-cars? if the answer is yes, then you have your answer.. stop trying to please others.. when was the last time someone bent over backwards to please you? Gotta look out for #1 in this life man

sorry if I am ranting, I have no patience for gfs bullying guys around

Old 02-21-2011, 07:32 AM
H-MAN is on a distinguished road
I have two daily drivers, the 911 and a 4Runner. I use the 911 as much as possible. Today I'm in the 4Runner to drop off the lawn mower for service. If the weather is poor or I need the cargo space then it's the truck. There are months in the summer when I won't touch the truck because the 911 is such a joy to drive. You could definitely use a 911 as your only car.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:59 AM
Fahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to all
I drive 35 miles each way when I commute. Much of it is on interstate highways in NJ that are not in the best of condition. Flying rocks, debris and potholes are major concerns. In addition, I would need to get new tires every year (approx 20K miles overall/yr). Therefore, for me, I would stick with another car as a dd. I am lucky enough to have a BMW 535 as a dd but a VW GTI or even a Golf would be OK for me and save my 911S for the good roads and weather on the weekends.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:25 PM
Foggy916 is on a distinguished road
I traded my C2S for a E92 M3 because I just wanted a better DD. The BMW is WAY better to live with on a daily basis and is just as good on the track with a push of a "M" button.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 911 as daily driver?