997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

911 as daily driver?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 07:20 PM
thxbuff2001 is on a distinguished road
My M5 alternates as my DD with the C2S.

They are different class of cars. But I can't imagine using the C2S 7 days a week. Sometimes I need more comfort and my M5 is years ahead of my 2008 C2S.

Depending on the day, I would pick either one.

Lifes Good!

Old 02-21-2011, 08:38 PM
docfink is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Excellent points are outlined by yrralis1. Although the 911 is easily DD'vable, it would be hard to have a 911 as one's only car in the household.
Both are great comments. I'm picking up a MINI Countryman tomorrow that will be an enjoyable addition to the 911 as I too believe it's nice to have another car in the stable, at least where I live.

As for our society at times making enjoying the 911 less pleasurable, I'd have to agree.

Do I sometimes feel guilty about getting only 16mpg? I do. I have an easily fixed ding in the rocker panel that only could have come from a steel-toed boot or club of some type. Many roads around me seem to resemble the bombed-out streets of Kandahar province, making me feel I should be driving a rally-based Subaru instead of the 911. Don't let anyone tell you a non-AWD Carrera can't steer as well as a C4. I avoid potholes like I'm Neo dodging bullets in the Matrix!

All in all, I'm fortunate to now own the car of my dreams. The reality is that the world in which I live demands I have another car, and may make me sell the Pcar sooner than I would have imagined.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:04 PM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 911ESQ
We have three cars - an 07 Lexus GX 470, an 06 BMW 3 series sedan, and a 07 C2 6 speed manual. We have 2 small kids. I really contemplated trading in the 06 BMW and using the 997 as a daily driver, but am so glad that we kept the 3 series. I drive my 997 on most days now, but it is great to drive the 3 series as well, especially when I need to take the kids somewhere or just don't feel like driving the 997 in stop and go traffic.

If you could do it, keep the 3 series. You'll be glad that you did. I live in LA and the stop and go gives you leg cramps.

I had a 07 997S along with a 08 E90 328i sport for a DD. I turned in the 328i on lease return and I used the 997 as a DD and I didn't find it very fun. I too have small boys (6 and 9) and although they fit in the backseats now I am worried in a few years this would not be the case. Not to mention what Larry mentioned (yrrallis). Its not just the fact of having to put people in the back seat, its the rest of the enviroment that made me cringe.

I ended up selling the 997S and bought a 2011 E92 M3 ZCP..love the car. I do miss the Porsche.

Dave

Old 02-21-2011, 09:32 PM
997.1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Comet
what what what?
a) is she your wife? if she isn't, then she has 0 say on WTF you do with your money and she should go make you 4 sandwiches (doesn't matter if you can eat them) so she may always remember her place: the kitchen, not your wallet. You're letting a girl bully you around on what you want to do with your money? I would never stand for that.. No one is worth giving up what you want to do for!

b) if you own one or 15 cars, it isn't like you are going to turn them all on at the same time to start "polluting". You will drive one at a time so what difference does it make if you own one or 15 cars? The manufacturing of said cars will create more pollution? they are being produce either way. Buy what you want man, you are the one who worked to get to where you are so enjoy whatever big boy toys you want to enjoy!!

c) are you a fan of multi-cars? if the answer is yes, then you have your answer.. stop trying to please others.. when was the last time someone bent over backwards to please you? Gotta look out for #1 in this life man

sorry if I am ranting, I have no patience for gfs bullying guys around

we would probably be best friends..lol

Old 02-21-2011, 10:17 PM
killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !
i have my 911 and a 1998 chevy lumina. where i live its not practical to drive the 911 everyday.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:59 AM
saeyedoc will become famous soon enoughsaeyedoc will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by docfink
Both are great comments. I'm picking up a MINI Countryman tomorrow that will be an enjoyable addition to the 911 as I too believe it's nice to have another car in the stable, at least where I live.

As for our society at times making enjoying the 911 less pleasurable, I'd have to agree.

Do I sometimes feel guilty about getting only 16mpg? I do. I have an easily fixed ding in the rocker panel that only could have come from a steel-toed boot or club of some type. Many roads around me seem to resemble the bombed-out streets of Kandahar province, making me feel I should be driving a rally-based Subaru instead of the 911. Don't let anyone tell you a non-AWD Carrera can't steer as well as a C4. I avoid potholes like I'm Neo dodging bullets in the Matrix!

All in all, I'm fortunate to now own the car of my dreams. The reality is that the world in which I live demands I have another car, and may make me sell the Pcar sooner than I would have imagined.
Hey docfink, are you a dermatologist? Unable to send you a PM, not enough posts, but this is Steve A's brother. Still shopping for P-cars myself, still leaning towards '09+ Cayman S with PDk for a DD.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:05 PM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by nyte3k
I love my car
I've had several BMWs and loved them all (save for our current X5 4.8 sport which I like a lot, but don't love).

Thing is. The 911 is 100% sports car. There is tire and engine noise, and a relatively rough ride over sharp bumps. It's very analog whereas BMWs are digital. Most 911 owners love this quality - I certainly do.

The 911 is a raw, no frills, unadulterated, unfiltered driving experience. Most normal people don't want this everyday.

I drive mine everyday and I love it (I'm in the NE with rotten roads, but very little traffic). But if i had another vehicle, I'd probably use it whenever I was sick or tired.

I'm going out on a limb to say that the majority of drivers (especially if you're coming from a BMW) would find a 911 too spartan and uncomfortable for daily commuting. In essence their decisions collectively make the statement: the convenience & comfort tradeoffs aren't justified for my driving style and preferences... To each his own

Keep the 3 and be careful buying a brand new design 911, they are actually putting computers in them now...

DRP

Old 02-22-2011, 12:31 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by drspeed
I've had several BMWs and loved them all (save for our current X5 4.8 sport which I like a lot, but don't love).

Thing is. The 911 is 100% sports car. There is tire and engine noise, and a relatively rough ride over sharp bumps. It's very analog whereas BMWs are digital. Most 911 owners love this quality - I certainly do.

The 911 is a raw, no frills, unadulterated, unfiltered driving experience. Most normal people don't want this everyday.

I drive mine everyday and I love it (I'm in the NE with rotten roads, but very little traffic). But if i had another vehicle, I'd probably use it whenever I was sick or tired.

I'm going out on a limb to say that the majority of drivers (especially if you're coming from a BMW) would find a 911 too spartan and uncomfortable for daily commuting. In essence their decisions collectively make the statement: the convenience & comfort tradeoffs aren't justified for my driving style and preferences... To each his own

Keep the 3 and be careful buying a brand new design 911, they are actually putting computers in them now...

DRP
I agree with most of the comments stated by DRP except one thing. He said "The 911 is a raw, no frills, unadulterated, unfiltered driving experience. Most normal people don't want this everyday." This is so true for the original 911 (early 89 and pre-89) but not so true for the 997. It is not raw ( and I am comparing it to the 911 and say modern generation GT3) and you would be hard pressed to find one on the dealer's lots without any frills and it is very much filtered. Ya you do hear some road/engine noise and yes it is still very much a sports car but one that could easily fit in as a daily driver especially with soft PASM mode. It truly is way much more insulated cabin when compared to the original 911s. Having said that I do agree with what DRP said: Keep the 3 and be careful buying a brand new design 911.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:49 PM
Brian GTS is on a distinguished road
As an enthusiast and owner of Vipers at which I consider "raw", I can say the 911 is very well suited as a daily driver.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:15 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by nyte3k
so right now I'm in an '07 BMW e92 (3-series coupe), but have might sights set on the upcoming 911 (991, carrera) for my next vehicle in a couple years.

I love my car, and the amount of miles I put on that car show (lol), so i'm wondering if anyone here uses their 911 as a daily driver? And by daily driver, i'm assuming 50 or so miles/day about 5-7 days a week.

I could keep the 3-series and add the 911 as well, but honestly, I would probably drive the Porsche 9 out of 10 times anyway, and would rather get some trade-in value for 3 at purchase time. Is the 911 a car that is meant to be driven often and reliable enough for the stop-n-go traffic that Atlanta offers a good portion of the time?

Just want to hear your thoughts and experiences...thanks guys!!
very simple answer to it - it all depends of what sort of daily driving you do. if you go from your private gated community into your daily seured parking where you have plenty of similar expensive cars and all you do is to transport yourself - why not.

if you have to leave your car on a public parking lot and then do some grocery shopping - better be ready to get dings and damage.

if you need to transport more than 1 passenger daily - totally not.

stop&go traffic with manual was a pain first month-2 for me, now I do not even notice that. it is not a economically sane DD car to have, bmw 3-series is a way better choice for DD but it has no soul, no fun and it is not a p-car.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:12 PM
mike_in_sf is on a distinguished road
I've used my 2009 C2S as a DD since I got it end of December 2008. I've now got 53,000 miles on it. The total cost of maintenance (all at the dealer) has come to $4,800, including tires and additional oil, so about $.09 per mile. Beyond that, I've had the following work under warranty: replaced high pressure fuel pump, replaced driver side seat control module, replaced passenger side airbag sensor. From my one data point, Porsche's are fine as DDs in terms of reliability and cost. It's not a Honda, but then again, it's not a Honda.

Now that I'm off warranty, it will be interesting to see how much higher my cost per mile goes.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:03 PM
akirasan will become famous soon enoughakirasan will become famous soon enough
Daily driver plus I have a 2006 C4S I purchased used in February of '09 to replace a built STi. When I got it there were 14K miles - I doubled that in 8 months, now sitting around 40K. It carries my groceries, my daughter to school (car seat in back), my mountain bike (http://willwoodsystem.com/) and autocrosses on weekends. Chiming with others, with PASM in normal mode the ride is the same as any sports vehicle. Downsides are (noted elsewhere) problems with people that don't care about others's stuff (dings, etc) and annual (or less) tire replacement (autocross not helping there).

FWIW my wife has an A4 Avant which we use if we need to carry more than three people, otherwise it's the Porsche: my daughter demands it - "No daddy, I want to ride in your car"

Old 02-23-2011, 02:13 AM
recipefor is on a distinguished road
I just switched from an E90 M3 to a 997.2S back in October. It is my DD and main vehicle. My wife has an xDrive 3 series for when the weather is real bad (Colorado), but I put winter tires on my car and I've been driving it all winter.
There have been a few days I skipped due to snow.

As pointed out by yrralis1, the main concern is leaving the car. I always try to park on the edge of the lot, but in smaller lots it's not always a possibility. I end up fretting about the car when I'm running my errand.

But if that doesn't bother you, I think the 911's perfect. Coming from an M3, I couldn't be happier. For me, the 911 just as comfortable. I've missed the space of the M only on a rare occasion or two, otherwise I couldn't be happier.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:49 PM
surefooted is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by akirasan
Daily driver plus I have a 2006 C4S I purchased used in February of '09 to replace a built STi. When I got it there were 14K miles - I doubled that in 8 months, now sitting around 40K. It carries my groceries, my daughter to school (car seat in back), my mountain bike (http://willwoodsystem.com/) and autocrosses on weekends. Chiming with others, with PASM in normal mode the ride is the same as any sports vehicle. Downsides are (noted elsewhere) problems with people that don't care about others's stuff (dings, etc) and annual (or less) tire replacement (autocross not helping there).

FWIW my wife has an A4 Avant which we use if we need to carry more than three people, otherwise it's the Porsche: my daughter demands it - "No daddy, I want to ride in your car"
I have been lurking here (first post ha!) and reading really trying to decide if I want to get a C4S or an M3/M5. I have a built 08 STI that I daily drive. Do you miss the STI any? I know power will be down, but I'm willing to accept that. Is the 911 more fun to drive?

Last edited by surefooted; 02-23-2011 at 06:50 PM. Reason: first post and gratuitous spelling errors...smh...
Old 02-23-2011, 07:11 PM
akirasan will become famous soon enoughakirasan will become famous soon enough
The Scooby was good fun, wicked fast and more practical (real back seats & trunk). What I miss most was that it was paid for I've been doing AWD for awhile now - 6 years of Mitsubishi 300GT VR-4 and 5 years of STi as predecessors - and I'm really happy with the C4S.

With the STi I gutted the suspension (coilovers, GroupN tophats, sways, endlinks, reset caster (Whiteline ALK)) and more. With the C4S I just threw some RSS sways on and now it feels like a sports car.

Guess you need to figure out what you want as IMO the Ms are as different creatures from the C4S as it is from the Scooby.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 911 as daily driver?