997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

911 as daily driver?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 08:01 PM
tourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud of
I would say go for it

its seems most of us have other cars other than our 911's but it is also very obvious that if you know what you are getting into it can very easily be driven daily with no problems. I miss my 911 ever time I drive my other cars, I can not say the say about my other cars when I drive my 911

Old 02-23-2011, 08:37 PM
911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold
This whole thread has made me start thinking.....

I owned a 2006 M3 and a 2008 M3. I sold both and now I own a 997. Am I ridiculous for wanting to buy another 2008 M3 for a DD? I sure do miss it...

Old 02-23-2011, 10:07 PM
thxbuff2001 is on a distinguished road
I dont think you are. They are 2 different type of cars.

One day I want to drive my M5, OR one day I want to drive my 911. Both satisfies my DD needs.

If I didnt have an M5, I would probably get an M3 to alternate with my 911.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:03 AM
Comet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to all
Originally Posted by tourbillon001
its seems most of us have other cars other than our 911's but it is also very obvious that if you know what you are getting into it can very easily be driven daily with no problems. I miss my 911 ever time I drive my other cars, I can not say the say about my other cars when I drive my 911
hehe
I thought of getting my 911 on the side of my other car.. but I figured "when I wake up in the morning.. and look at both cars, I won't want to drive anything but the 911"
Porsche.. There is no substitute

Old 02-24-2011, 08:48 AM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
I dont drive my 911 daily but whenever I come home from work, I find myself behind the wheel of my 911 ready to take her out for a short spin... I do look forward to the weekend so that I can spend more time with her...

Old 02-24-2011, 11:12 AM
tourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud of
I pick the 911 9 out of 10 times

Originally Posted by Comet
hehe
I thought of getting my 911 on the side of my other car.. but I figured "when I wake up in the morning.. and look at both cars, I won't want to drive anything but the 911"
Porsche.. There is no substitute

If I had bought the 911 first the space on the left would most likely be empty. I don't regret buying the other car, but the 911 is really the better car and does everything better than the lambo except for in the pantie dropping department and I like to think by the time a girl leaves the club with you she really does not car what you drive, and the girls that watch you drive in are normally trouble anyways

Old 03-01-2011, 02:52 AM
Banned
twints4 is on a distinguished road
Perfect daily driver

Old 03-01-2011, 03:40 AM
Comet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to all
Originally Posted by tourbillon001

If I had bought the 911 first the space on the left would most likely be empty. I don't regret buying the other car, but the 911 is really the better car and does everything better than the lambo except for in the pantie dropping department and I like to think by the time a girl leaves the club with you she really does not car what you drive, and the girls that watch you drive in are normally trouble anyways
exactly my thoughts
all my friends would always tell me "man, if I had your car, I'd pick up so many girls at the club"
do these people think I drive my car into the wall to get it on the inside of the club so people see what I drive? :S
the only thing that picks up girls is the man! Except for that rare occurrence when a girl jumped in front of my friend's diablo and begged him for a date (just to keep the story PG )

Old 03-01-2011, 07:05 AM
hockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant future
911 is a great dd...but u need a second beater car to be able to park ANYWHERE...
At the mall, grocery store, sleazy strip club or gay bathhouse downtown in a bad
neighborhood, etc....

Last edited by hockeyguy4u; 03-01-2011 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:22 AM
Max77 has a spectacular aura aboutMax77 has a spectacular aura about
My DD and only car right now is a Cayman S, I'm looking at 997.2s right now. If I can DD a Cayman, a 997 is definitely doable. I'm not sure where these people live who can't park in parking lots without fear of anything happening, but I live in Chicago and I've never had a problem with any damage and my car has spent a lot of time in airport parking lots. To me a Porsche is a very reasonable sports car for DD, I can even do Home Depot and Costco trips in my Cayman. Just make sure you have friends with SUVs if you need to haul anything substantial

Old 03-01-2011, 09:05 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
The 911 is a great daily driver, as well as weekend cruiser, and occasional track car.

That is the target market, right?

Yeah, depending on what else is in your garage, the 911 may be the only car you choose to drive.

(I had a G35 collect dust for 5 months - didn't touch it, when I got my GT-R. When I decided to sell the G35, the battery was dead. Sometimes the 'fun' car can be the 'only' car)

Old 01-21-2016, 08:39 PM
CTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond repute
I have an old 996 turbo that I bought a couple of years ago with very low mileage (13,000). The idea was to take someone else's garage queen and use the car as it was intended without suffering as much of the depreciation.
I've put about 20,000 miles on the car since I've owned it, but I still find it hard to get it out when the roads are salty or sandy. I have a suburban that I use for towing a trailer that seems to get used almost as much as my DD (was supposed to be my DD anyway) 911.

I'm in my 40's with a wife ( great gal that puts up with my obsessions) and 2 kids also great).
I'd love to say that the 911 is a great "only car", but the truth is; they are very prone to stone chips and road debris damage and the vast majority of owners (me included) love their cars too much to let them take the beating every day driving will do to the low fronts of these cars.
Then factor in kids climbing in and out of them with a backpack, and the next thing you know... I drive a suburban as much or more than my DD 911.

Now the kicker... My wife drives a full size SUV that would easily pull my trailer. I bought it for her because she was ready for a new car and I wanted to get back to a two car family. But I couldn't bring myself to sell the sub.
It's crazy... I should just drive the 911 and not worry about the minor imperfections that are bound to happen, but I just can't make myself do it.

Old 01-22-2016, 06:02 AM
CTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond repute
Looks like I bumped a thread from 2011...
Sorry guys, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Old 01-31-2016, 01:30 AM
cayenneturbolakem is on a distinguished road
911 best DD ever

Old 01-31-2016, 07:04 AM
tommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by danhaug70
Looks like I bumped a thread from 2011...
Sorry guys, back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Dan….I have no frame of reference for you. I've owned 4 911s and on my last one now and I just drive them…it's just a car and that's why I have it! Stone chips I don't care about…it's a car and it's character. I've driven sports cars with no other car since the 70s and no snows in the winter. Back then you just drove them. MGs, TRs Fiats etc.

I didn't get married until much later in life so I had no 2nd car either.

Now I have a C4s and when I lived in NJ I put 4 snows on her and she was terrific. I'm not the kind of guy that can have a 911 that I wanted since I was a kid and leave it in the garage….I couldn't do that.

Now I live in Florida and finally have a 2nd car….an old 85 CJ-7 (orange with no doors I guess I like bright colors too) that I drive to the beach every day. So I finally get to nice weather and now she sits a bit. Life's funny!

Tom

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 911 as daily driver?