997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Pilot Super Sport vs Pilot Sport PS2 ... newer model seems heavier

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 07:09 AM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
Long thread/debate in the TT secton on PSS v. PS2's. Link below. Thought you guys might be interested.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...007-turbo.html

Old 08-18-2011, 10:43 AM
jasonintoronto is on a distinguished road
more misinformation in that thread than information

Old 08-18-2011, 12:06 PM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by jasonintoronto
more misinformation in that thread than information
Agreed. 2 members with a different opinion going on 4 pages. Need to know when to say when.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:09 PM
liurad will become famous soon enoughliurad will become famous soon enough
Very disappointed on the PSS wear pattern

2010 Porsche 911 GT3

Front chamber -2.1 0 toe
Rear chamber -1.9 Very min toe in (don't know the exact number)

New Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Cold tire pressure on track: Front 30, rear 31. Hot tire pressure on track: front 37, rear 39 psi

5 track days later:

2 days at Streets of Willow
2 days at Willow Springs Race Way
1 day at California autoclub speedway inner course

All 4 tires outer were flat where as the inner are still 80% remaining. One of the rear has corded outer.

My take is the wall is weak and can't handle hard cornering. Other than the wear, I am happy with how the tires performed.

Does anyone have any track experience with them?

Old 11-08-2011, 07:59 PM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by liurad
2010 Porsche 911 GT3

Front chamber -2.1 0 toe
Rear chamber -1.9 Very min toe in (don't know the exact number)

New Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Cold tire pressure on track: Front 30, rear 31. Hot tire pressure on track: front 37, rear 39 psi

5 track days later:

2 days at Streets of Willow
2 days at Willow Springs Race Way
1 day at California autoclub speedway inner course

All 4 tires outer were flat where as the inner are still 80% remaining. One of the rear has corded outer.

My take is the wall is weak and can't handle hard cornering. Other than the wear, I am happy with how the tires performed.

Does anyone have any track experience with them?
Since it is a street tire I would think that the pressures need to be higher then what we would run on a MPSC, ect.

I though the tires were suppose to be 36-38F and 44-46R hot or there abouts. It may be that the lower pressures let the side walls flex more which increased the wear rates. Of course, this is speculation.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:00 PM
liurad will become famous soon enoughliurad will become famous soon enough
It's funny you said that. I had my best lap time with front and rear in the low 40's (un-intended because the prev session was wet and cold with tire pressures in the high 30's; and during the subsequent session the pressure went up to 40's because the track had dried up and ambient temp was warmer) with a passenger inside. Then, I dropped my tire pressure to where I thought they should be and I was little less than a second slower without a passenger. Unfortunately this occured during the 5th track day where one of the rear outer corded.

I may have to get another set and test out your idea. Expensive tuitions that I wish I could've avoided. Other than the uneven wear, I really like them. I have emailed Michelin engineers and hopefully, they can provide me an answer.

Thanks for the info

Old 11-09-2011, 05:49 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
In my 997 non-s, 18" MPSS I start at 29/31 cold and during the day zero in on 34/36 hot. My first run I usually come off at around 37/40 hot.

Over 40/44 hot I'm all over the track as the car floats and has no grip.

i have LCA to increase camber.

Just my experience. I have about 8 days on tires and they still look good. Only an intermediate driver however.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:02 AM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
In my 997 non-s, 18" MPSS I start at 29/31 cold and during the day zero in on 34/36 hot. My first run I usually come off at around 37/40 hot.

Over 40/44 hot I'm all over the track as the car floats and has no grip.

i have LCA to increase camber.

Just my experience. I have about 8 days on tires and they still look good. Only an intermediate driver however.

Hope this helps.
18 and 19s are not apples to apples on pressures.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:46 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Doc GTO
18 and 19s are not apples to apples on pressures.
For sure...that's why I stated 18.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:14 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
no track experience with them but having previously had PS2, the PSS have been absolutely AAA+++ around town and on freeway, and in the canyons on weekends.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:25 PM
See-ya is on a distinguished road
P0rsch3's PS2s

P0rsch3, Thanks for your comment. It is what I was thinking and the Potenza's are killing me. How long did your PS2's last? Can you tell a big difference on wet pavement?

Old 01-26-2012, 08:45 AM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by See-ya
P0rsch3, Thanks for your comment. It is what I was thinking and the Potenza's are killing me. How long did your PS2's last? Can you tell a big difference on wet pavement?
Yeah Potenzas are definitely not my fav, I have never, ever gone wrong with PS2's on my pcars. I was running a very aggressive alignment (GT3 street alignment) so the rears wore out on ther inner edges in less than 10k miles. After I put on the PSS I had the alignment redone to standard 997 stock specs- I bit less 'drop in' on the turns but for the tradeoff of longer rear tire wear I can deal with it. As you know, you'll go through 2 or 3 pairs of rears before you have to change fronts, it is just the nature of the beast with performance tires especially with all that weight / power over the rear tires.

No issues at all with the PSS in regards to town / freeway / canyon driving. They are an excellent tire even on wet, quite predictable and grippy. For my driving, I really need a predictable tire. IMHO, anything less than PS2 or PSS just does not work as well on the 911. Some may disagree on that, it's just my personal experience.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:12 AM
Talking

P0rsch3, I am going to try them. Tirerack has a sale right now. I am running 18s on my 01 Cab and the Dunlops didn't last and the rear of these set only lasted 7k. The dealer always gives me flak for having newer tires on the rear and older in the front so I am going to replace all 4 this time and see how long my rears last. I wish I had the canyons - there is not a curve they don't like

Old 01-26-2012, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by See-ya
P0rsch3, I am going to try them. Tirerack has a sale right now. I am running 18s on my 01 Cab and the Dunlops didn't last and the rear of these set only lasted 7k. The dealer always gives me flak for having newer tires on the rear and older in the front so I am going to replace all 4 this time and see how long my rears last. I wish I had the canyons - there is not a curve they don't like
First off, F*** what the dealer says, if your front tires are still good, have decent tread left, and are not dried out / cracked, then save your money. In this case since you are changing brands, then yep you'll want to change all four. But keep the aforementioned comment in mind, because you will burn through a few sets of rears before you need to change fronts again.

That's just the way it is with a pcar. they are not made for 'economy' of tires, they are made to drive & handle. You could put some lame, hard tires on it to save money on rear tire changes, but then you totally blow any hope of good ride or - most important - handling. Consider it "price of ownership" . heh.

Oh and if you have not had an alignment lately, like say 2 years, then get one when you put the new tires on. I have my alignment done every 2 years. I had my four 19" PSS installed with alignment for $1650 out the door at a local shop, if that helps, your's should be less expensive due to the 18" size- Which is the proper size for your pcar.

If you want to add a bit of snap to your ride, buy wheel spacers and longer bolts for the wheels- Automotion.com has them, you'll need 15mm spacers in the rear and 7mm up front. you can go as big as 18mm rear and 15mm front (IIRC), but the 7mm front / 15mm rear is a good safe choice.

Makes the car look beefier and you'll notice a tad bit better turn-in on corners. Call automotion and they will set you up with the correct H&R wheel spacers and longer wheel bolts.

You are going to enjoy the tires- report back and let me know what you think.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:33 PM
The MPSS went on my Porsche today. It is actually a bit noisy and it is weird because it is not a constant sound like the one you get when the tires wear out. I don't know if it is because they are brand new or what...I am hoping. thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pilot Super Sport vs Pilot Sport PS2 ... newer model seems heavier