997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Pilot Super Sport vs Pilot Sport PS2 ... newer model seems heavier

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 07:31 PM
MarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura about
Pilot Super Sport vs Pilot Sport PS2 ... newer model seems heavier

I've been enthused reading about the new Michelin Pilot Super Sports vs the older Pilot Sport PS2, in particular the lower cost ($1500 vs. $1938 for a set on my C4 on Tirerack) and claims of improved performance. It's interesting that in their claims, including on Tirerack, they talk about 10% lighter weight compared to other comparable tires - a significant drop in unsprung weight. Those claims must be about other vendors tires as the weights listed are 24 pounds for the new 235/35zR19 vs. 22 for the older Pilot Sport PS2 and 31 pounds for the new 305/30zr19 vs. 28 for the older Pilot Sport PS2's. Perhaps they meant to say the new model is 10% heavier or could this be a typo on the Tirerack site?

Check it out:
New Pilot Super Sports http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....&autoModel=911 Carrera 4S Coupe&autoModClar=Without TPMS

Old Pilot Sport: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....&autoModel=911 Carrera 4S Coupe&autoModClar=Without TPMS

Old 03-15-2011, 12:35 AM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MarathonBob
I've been enthused reading about the new Michelin Pilot Super Sports vs the older Pilot Sport PS2, in particular the lower cost ($1500 vs. $1938 for a set on my C4 on Tirerack) and claims of improved performance. It's interesting that in their claims, including on Tirerack, they talk about 10% lighter weight compared to other comparable tires - a significant drop in unsprung weight. Those claims must be about other vendors tires as the weights listed are 24 pounds for the new 235/35zR19 vs. 22 for the older Pilot Sport PS2 and 31 pounds for the new 305/30zr19 vs. 28 for the older Pilot Sport PS2's. Perhaps they meant to say the new model is 10% heavier or could this be a typo on the Tirerack site?

Check it out:
New Pilot Super Sports http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....&autoModel=911 Carrera 4S Coupe&autoModClar=Without TPMS

Old Pilot Sport: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....&autoModel=911 Carrera 4S Coupe&autoModClar=Without TPMS
If you go to the actual Michelin website you'll see those comparisons are against like performing competitors. BTW, I did see an interesting stat for the Pilot Super Sports vs. PS2 in that the Super Sports stop 3 meters shorter in the wet. No elaboration as from what mph but probably 62. Even if a little heavier, the extra performance, ride quality, and life will be well worth it. Getting ready to order my set!

Old 03-15-2011, 04:40 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Steve997S
Even if a little heavier, the extra performance, ride quality, and life will be well worth it. Getting ready to order my set!
+1, eagerly waiting for sizes for my RS.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:55 PM
hjacobs2000 will become famous soon enough
I'm interested to know if you can feel a difference in the ride. Please keep us informed as I am also getting ready to replace my PS Ps2s

Old 03-15-2011, 10:57 PM
Lockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant future
Just curious what is the difference between NO and N1.? The tires appear to be the same except for the price

Old 03-18-2011, 08:09 PM
camhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Lockie
Just curious what is the difference between NO and N1.? The tires appear to be the same except for the price
From what I understand, any time any change, large or small, is made to the tire, they update the N rating number. Could be they slightly changed tred patterns, changed supplies of rubber, etc. I attempted to find the differences at one point but it seemed they weren't typically released.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:28 PM
HATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Lockie
.............it should also be noted the N designation is specific to only Porsche. A tire manufacturer sends samples for testing in wet, dry and receives feedback and approval from Porsche for its latest generation and N rating.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:21 PM
TrackAddict997 is a jewel in the roughTrackAddict997 is a jewel in the roughTrackAddict997 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Targa Tim
+1, eagerly waiting for sizes for my RS.
samee im waiting for my sizes...any idea when they are releasing more sizes,im just about ready to replace my current setup

Old 06-29-2011, 03:58 PM
jacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nice
Truly superior tires based on round trip from Baltimore to Lime Rock and recent track event (wet and dry) at Summit Point. Do not hesitate - go for them !

Old 06-29-2011, 08:17 PM
stockid will become famous soon enoughstockid will become famous soon enough
Just got a new pair for the rear got about 200 miles on them. Seem the same as the last but haven"t really open her up yet. Maybe get a good trip this weekend.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:03 PM
seapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of light
Ordered a set of 4 PSS from Tire Rack (referenced Damon)for my 2009 CS4 to replace PS2's after one more DE day in the Northwest mid July. May take a day trip with the local Porsche club to help break them in.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:31 PM
06CayenneTurboS is on a distinguished road
Any updates on the PSS vs PS2s?

Old 08-15-2011, 07:12 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Got my set. Seem a little harder than my PS2s. Both set to the same pressures. It's hard to tell about grip as we're in a drought here in South Texas and the roads are exceedingly greasy at the moment.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:11 AM
D-squared will become famous soon enoughD-squared will become famous soon enough
Put on a new set last week. They feel grippy and they are noticeably quieter - I mean really, really quieter! I have the top down on my cab whenever it's not raining, and I can barely hear them now whereas the old set gave off a constant annoying hum.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:01 PM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
Weights

[QUOTE=MarathonBob; Perhaps they meant to say the new model is 10% heavier or could this be a typo on the Tirerack site?[/QUOTE]

I put the PSSs on my C2. The new tire is heavier b/c it's a higher load rating.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pilot Super Sport vs Pilot Sport PS2 ... newer model seems heavier