997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

brand new 911 owner - wants to black out exhaust tips...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 11:17 AM
bigboi's911s is on a distinguished road
brand new 911 owner - wants to black out exhaust tips...

Hey Guys,
I'm an excited new owner of a 2011 911 Carrera S cab - blk on blk. I traded in my 2009 BMW M3 (which I had done quite a few mods too including lowering the car, 20" HRE matte black P43's, Dinan exhaust, RD Sport ECU upgrade, matte blk vinyl wrap, etc. - it was a beautiful car)

I am looking to do a few modifications right out of the box - lowering the car (probably H&R springs so as not to mess with the PASM), tinting the windows, and i would like to black out the exhaust tips.

I know there is a thread about this already - but I was wondering for those of you who took them off and had them painted or coated - was it difficult to remove the tips from the car? If this is a simple DIY I might attempt to do it myself before spending $500 on tips.... If you guys could help me out that would be great!

Also would love any feedback on ECU upgrades for the 911 S - GIAC is quite popular I understand - will be looking to add some power next spring (one thing at a time... )

Old 03-26-2011, 12:07 PM
LakeShow41 is just really niceLakeShow41 is just really niceLakeShow41 is just really niceLakeShow41 is just really niceLakeShow41 is just really nice
Originally Posted by bigboi's911s
Hey Guys,
I'm an excited new owner of a 2011 911 Carrera S cab - blk on blk. I traded in my 2009 BMW M3 (which I had done quite a few mods too including lowering the car, 20" HRE matte black P43's, Dinan exhaust, RD Sport ECU upgrade, matte blk vinyl wrap, etc. - it was a beautiful car)

I am looking to do a few modifications right out of the box - lowering the car (probably H&R springs so as not to mess with the PASM), tinting the windows, and i would like to black out the exhaust tips.

I know there is a thread about this already - but I was wondering for those of you who took them off and had them painted or coated - was it difficult to remove the tips from the car? If this is a simple DIY I might attempt to do it myself before spending $500 on tips.... If you guys could help me out that would be great!

Also would love any feedback on ECU upgrades for the 911 S - GIAC is quite popular I understand - will be looking to add some power next spring (one thing at a time... )
It should be really easy to do yourself. On my 997.1 they come off with one clamp. I know the 997.2 is a little different, but I can't imagine it's too hard. Powder coating will cost you $50 bucks. Or you can follow this DIY: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...od-w-pics.html. That's for a 996, but the steps are the same and the results are perfect if you take your time. But supplies and time will add up to more than the $50 to just have them coated by a pro. I've done both the DIY and powder coating and both turned out great.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:20 PM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats. Can't help you with the tips as I instead ordered a set with black chrome.

However, what do you think of the stock exhaust? Why not also throw on a sharkwerks bypass (not expensive) and engage the sound while you tweak the exterior? You can later decide on which side mufflers to get.

Unless, that is, stock sound suits you.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:20 PM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
Oh, and congrats!

Old 03-26-2011, 03:28 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.ipdplenums.com/index.php?...&id=3&Itemid=6

Old 03-26-2011, 03:33 PM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
Thumbs up

Oh yeah!

Old 03-26-2011, 04:04 PM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
Congrats, post some pictures and enjoy her in good health.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:05 PM
jakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the rough
when my 911S was new the black tips were a common occurrence every 600 miles.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:25 PM
NC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant future
- was it difficult to remove the tips from the car? If this is a simple DIY I might attempt to do it myself before spending $500 on tips.... If you guys could help me out that would be great!
It's so easy a caveman could do it...

I'm not sure what size Torx head bolt holds the 'S' tips on, since I have a base Carrera, but the procedure should be the same.

You'll need a 3/8" ratchet, the correct size Torx socket, and an extension that allows you to turn the bolt w/o hitting the car. Loosen the bolt, wiggle the exhaust tip off, do what you're going to do with it, then wiggle it back on, make sure it's straight/level with the ground, then scoot back under the car and tighten the bolt.

To see what I'm describing, either lay down next to your car and look up at the tip from the bottom, or get a small mirror and hold it under the tip. You should see a single Torx head bolt that secures the tip to the exhaust pipe. If you don't have a set of Torx sockets, you can pick up a set for next to nothing at Northern Tool or Harbor Freight, or you can pay a bit more for a better quality set of sockets from Sears, or your local auto parts store. Or they may loan you a set.

It's really that easy.

Last edited by NC 997; 03-27-2011 at 05:47 AM.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:32 AM
bigboi's911s is on a distinguished road
Thanks a lot guys - that will really help - hoping to do it next weekend.
This is only a temporary situation - looking at adding a Akrapovic or Car Graphic exhaust mid-summer - then I will obviously get black tips with whatever exhaust I choose.

Thanks for the info on the Plenum too - something I'll definitely consider.

I will post pictures next weekend - I picked it up in the midst of a lovely winter storm last week and I'm waiting for everything to melt to take some nice pictures.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:21 PM
Banned
mr.raven is on a distinguished road
I painted mine and its the same just looks dirty like it always did unless I wipe them clean.