997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

what's the best first performance mod?

Old 05-15-2011, 01:40 PM
chi4s is on a distinguished road
what's the best first performance mod?

Looking for opinions on what the first best bang for the buck performance mod would be for a 997.1 c4s. Thanks!

Old 05-15-2011, 01:47 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Porsche Sports Driving School and then some PCA DE's

Old 05-15-2011, 01:55 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
+1 Buckwheat nailed it!!

OP, Do you have prior track experience and/or what are your intentions for the car? Best,

Old 05-15-2011, 02:31 PM
monojohn is just really nicemonojohn is just really nicemonojohn is just really nicemonojohn is just really nice
I agree with Buckwheat.
You'll be surprised what you and your car can do once you know what you're doing.
Sign up for a PCA DE. You'll get some good instruction and a safe environment to really learn your car.

Have fun.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:02 PM
WaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond repute
Forced injection.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:41 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
ofcourse a driving school will get u most for ur money.. but it's really not a modification.

actually, it should be a requirement for all P-owners..lol

but for mods, i'd go with a lightweight wheels such as HRE's.. for looks and performance.

or cats - for sound and little hp

or SSK.. just cause it feels good.

otherwise, i'd leave it alone.

BOL

Old 05-15-2011, 06:59 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Driving school is good, but if you want mods, just save up for a turbo or a supercharger. All bolt on mods are expensive and yield very little gain.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:43 PM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
porsche sports driving school and then some pca de's

+1

Old 05-16-2011, 12:24 PM
Former Vendor
ModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant future
I would definitely recommend an exhaust!
The OEM Porsche exhausts do the engine note absolutely no justice!

http://www.modbargains.com/Porsche-997-911-Exhaust.htm

Old 05-16-2011, 12:55 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
I have to agree 100% with this. You will not understand this mod untill you do it. Moding the drive is the best mod for a Porsche...EVER!

Old 05-16-2011, 01:40 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mdrums
I have to agree 100% with this. You will not understand this mod untill you do it. Moding the drive is the best mod for a Porsche...EVER!
I agree but I don't think the PSDS (which is by all accounts awesome, but expensive) is a necessary prerequisite for doing PCA HPDE, which have great instructors and can take a total novice and make him only slightly inept in no time (see yours truly ).

In terms of real mods, I'd also vote for an exhaust mod, probably a gundo hack or sport cats (or both!). IMHO, sound is an important part of the driving experience and it's missing in stock form.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:43 PM
bergx7 will become famous soon enoughbergx7 will become famous soon enough
Get a SSK (Porsche OEM), a motive bleeder and some high temp brake fluid (Motul or Castrol SRF). Flush your brakes with some high temp fluid and go do a Porsche DE with an instructor.

As you gain speed and confidence, pick up a set of Pagid Yellow front pads and Pagid Black rears, do more events and training

If you really want power, you need to do a fullback exhaust (headers, 100-200 cell cats, etc). I have a Europipe kit that is great but $$$$. That with an intake will improve power slightly but mostly just give you a boost in sound

Old 05-17-2011, 12:19 AM
exponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by bergx7
Get a SSK (Porsche OEM), a motive bleeder and some high temp brake fluid (Motul or Castrol SRF). Flush your brakes with some high temp fluid and go do a Porsche DE with an instructor.
Do not want to argue but if you change your brake fluid every year (for those who track their car) you can never boil the OEM brake fluid. There is no need to go for any other so called high temp brake fluid as the high temp brake fluid usually absorb moisture and spoil themself faster than the OEM.

Go for OEM or simply Ate super blue. There is no need to spend more then sleep well at home enjoy at tracks

Last edited by exponential; 05-17-2011 at 12:21 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:59 AM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
My approach to mods for my GTS:

Center Exhaust Bypass (I chose SharkWerks) as these remove weight, improve sound, don't affect warranty, cost less than $700 & can be DIY

PCA DE to get a better clue how to drive a 911

Access where you are after those improvements and where you want to go moving forward

Old 05-17-2011, 07:29 AM
mickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant future
short shift kit

hands down the best mod for the $.... B/M or OEM make ..... takes the slop out....

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: what's the best first performance mod?