997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

08 Cab Turbo vs 09 Cab S vs. 08 Cab 4S (manual)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 03:47 PM
sprtan is on a distinguished road
08 Cab Turbo vs 09 Cab S vs. 08 Cab 4S (manual)

Interesting course of events during last couple days. 3 cars have been presented to me. All within roughly similar price ranges - 2008 Cab Turbo ($84k/47k miles), 2008 Cab 4S ($76k/25k miles/manual 6 speed), and a 2009 Cab 2S ($79k/54k miles/accident). None negotiated yet. Turbo not CPO (not Porsche dealer - another brand dealer) but others are.

My question is which is the best deal.

Love the Turbo, but no CPO and not a Porsche dealer car. 4S would be ideal as well as it has good miles and I could get at a good price (in addition to being dealer that I like and have relationship with car and CPO), but manual and I need auto (spouse will drive as well and I prefer). 2S is happy medium, but high miles, accident, and doesn't have the profile/looks of 4S/Turbo (eg. wide stance...which I like).

This will be my first Porsche convertible, so I would really appreciate more experienced perspectives here.

Thanks.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:45 PM
ScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really nice
I had an 07 C4S Cab and loved it. It seems that the Turbo has pretty high miles for the price and without CPO with that level of mileage, I would think twice. The 09 2S is a great car, but this example has had an accident and has high miles - tough to resell if you need to do so. The 08 C4S seems like the best choice for the money, but I would say that car is worth around 2-4K less than the price you quote. However, the market seems really strong right now, so not sure how much you can get them down to. I would go with the C4S. If it is CPO, then you have some assurance that it is in good shape and with the low miles, you can always sell it if need be to buy a 991!

Good luck with the hunt. It is a lot of fun.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:45 PM
Scoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura about
wow. 08 Cab Turbo. Forget the 09 C2S Cab - too pricey, accident, too many miles. The 08 C4S Cab has less miles, but it's only $8k less. If PPI/DME work out for the turbo, that's where I'd go. Too bad the Turbo isn't CPO... Off the top of my head, $84 is a nice price for an 08 Turbo. I would have been thinking more along 07 Turbo at that price... And I am assuming the turbo is 6sp?

Of course, drive both the Turbo and the C4S. That will really seal the deal, so to speak! Good luck.

Last edited by Scoper; 05-18-2011 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:04 PM
Question

Thank you both very much. This is very helpful.

I am driving the Turbo Saturday. It is Tiptronic auto. I suspect I will love it and have to fight off every urge to sign paperwork on the spot. Thee non CPO element has me concerned.

The resell angle on the Cab 2S is a keen insight that I had not thought of. As much as I want to like this car, it really does have too many negatives working against it I think.

The Cab 4S would be perfect if it were Tiptronic and not 6 speed manual.

I should mention that this will not be a daily driver for me. More of a weekend/occasional pull out of the garage that may see 5k to 6k tops per year.

Does that change any perspectives?

Old 05-18-2011, 08:08 PM
LPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to behold
Expensive Alternatives

You're in too large a market to not do better then these three; do some leg work. These cars have many days behind them and are very pricey. Look at cars.com and the porsche.usa website for Pre-owned sales. Also expand the search radius to say 250 miles. With two local dealers you don't have to worry about servicing. Better deals can be found if you can consider an even wider radius. I traveled 600 miles for my 1st pcar; great road trip home !

Good Luck w/ the search.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:46 PM
ScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really nice
If you want a turbo, you can get a low mileage 07 CPO for around $81-$87 depending on options, miles, etc...I would go that route first if you want a Turbo. I had a C4S Cab and it was a great car, but the Cab is not that important after a while. I bought it with 7,100 miles on it and sold it a year later for $2K less than I paid for it after putting 5.000 miles on it. I would recommend buying a used 07 C4S cab with very low miles and good options if you want a cab. It saves on the depreciation if you are only driving it 5k or less a year. It's easier to sell a well maintained low mileage car than a well maintained high mileage car.

I think you will find that a high percentage of folks on this forum don't daily drive their P-Cars. There are plenty for sale throughout the country - widen your net and don't be afraid to go get it. I flew one-way to buy both of mine after careful research on price, options prepurchase inspection and rev report. Buy used lower mileage and keep the depreciation to a minimum. I spent practically nothing to drive my first one for a year, but I shopped hard for the right car.

My daily driver is a Ford F150 4x4. Keeps the P-Car around just for fun!

Last edited by ScooterP; 05-18-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:12 PM
On another note......I saw this one out there and I am really digging the white with the cocoa interior. I know you want an automatic, but this one is sweet and could probably be had for $80K. Not a CPO, but you can ask for a PPI and Rev report to get it checked out.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

Old 05-18-2011, 09:54 PM
Rodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really nice
2009 C2S with 54k miles and an accident for 79k. What are they smoking? I'd probably pass on all 3 at those prices and miles . I'd try for a 2007 TT with fewer miles or a 2009 C2S with fewer miles and no accidents. You can do both of those in your price range. I personally would go and did go for the NA option. but it's all down to personal reference. When I say fewer miles, i don't mean garage queens. But 15-20K miles.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:40 PM
surfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Rodsky
2009 C2S with 54k miles and an accident for 79k. What are they smoking? I'd probably pass on all 3 at those prices and miles . I'd try for a 2007 TT with fewer miles or a 2009 C2S with fewer miles and no accidents. You can do both of those in your price range. I personally would go and did go for the NA option. but it's all down to personal reference. When I say fewer miles, i don't mean garage queens. But 15-20K miles.
QFT. All 3 are overpriced imo.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:49 AM
DCI
DCI will become famous soon enough
I had a mint 2008 Targa that was loaded with options. It had 12,000 miles and a sticker of over 115K. Dealers were offering me 57-61K at trade in, so those three are grossly over priced. I think you can find a really nice, low mile 09, for 70-75K.

Last edited by DCI; 05-19-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the insight. More or less solidifies my approach. Will still go drive the Turbo for the experience (have driven others already).

@ScooterP...saw that white/cocoa too. It is sweet. Wife just refuses to drive manual. May have to work that.

Looks like I may be expanding the net on my search. Bought my current Cayenne S in Dallas and just moved from NJ, so I will start there.

This was much easier when I was locked on getting a new Panamera 4S or Turbo and trading in the Cayenne S. Once I allowed the prospect of a weekend 911 Cab into the mix is when it began getting interesting...

Old 05-19-2011, 08:54 PM
Plp39503 has a spectacular aura aboutPlp39503 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ScooterP
On another note......I saw this one out there and I am really digging the white with the cocoa interior. I know you want an automatic, but this one is sweet and could probably be had for $80K. Not a CPO, but you can ask for a PPI and Rev report to get it checked out.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national
Cocoa interior with white exterior looks awesome. I almost fell for a new C4S cab at the local dealership when I was buying mine....looks like Cocoa is not offered anymore (replaced by espresso?)

Old 05-20-2011, 11:57 AM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
Keep looking...in the price range you're looking at you can do better. I would opt for lower mileage and CPO or some type of warranty. I wouldn't spend this type of cash without that piece of mind. As for the test drives...absolutely...all day. Just don't get sucked into a bad deal. Easy to let your emotions takeover with these cars.