997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Installing Fister sport exhausts... Am I getting ripped off??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 03:38 PM
chi4s is on a distinguished road
Question Installing Fister sport exhausts... Am I getting ripped off??

I'm hoping to get some feedback from those of you who have installed gundo hacked mufflers or fister sport exhausts into your car.

I just received the sport exhausts from darin, (quality looks great by the way). however, i'm having a hard time deciding who to have install them. I'm cringing at the idea of going to a typical "muffler" shop like menieke or car-x. The shops in the chicago area that specialize in porsches are quoting me $250+ dollars for the install saying it will take 2 hours! Kind of defeats the purpose of this "cheap" mod right? Isn't this a rip off?

Would really like to hear from those of you who had this mod installed. should i just suck it up and go to a "muffler shop"? thanks

Last edited by chi4s; 06-24-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:59 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
If the tech takes 2 hours to change 2 mufflers the $250 price sounds about right. It is a DIY project. Put the back of the car on a set of jack stands and remove the wheels. The bolts you need to remove arer pretty obvious. You can most likely find a link on here explaining the project.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:01 PM
sizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond repute
What does Midas say?

Old 06-24-2011, 06:28 PM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
+1....do it yourself.....its easy

Old 06-24-2011, 06:29 PM
wbellinz is on a distinguished road
I think 250 is fair. I watched someone do mine and it was 250bucks of work IMO.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:53 PM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
where u live? I sixpack of Sam and i will do the install

Old 06-24-2011, 08:27 PM
ggregory is on a distinguished road
What?!

RUFKM? 90% of the time is modifying the mufflers. Swapping them out should not take more than 1hr.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:28 PM
chi4s is on a distinguished road
Darin told me that at his shop he charges a flat fee of $100 and that the job should take about an hour. He seemed pretty upset that anyone would charge $200+ for the job. Wish I could just swing by his shop!! Now that I know this, I'm having a hard time justifying paying someone more than twice that to do the same job. Its the principle!! I would definitely do this myself if I had a ramp or way of getting under the car. Not easy because I live in a condo.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:34 PM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
where u live? I sixpack of Sam and i will do the install
I payed 450 for my gundo installed wish i would have known u did it for a six pack i would have got you a keg of sam for 150. Beats 450

Old 06-24-2011, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by carrera997re
I payed 450 for my gundo installed wish i would have known u did it for a six pack i would have got you a keg of sam for 150. Beats 450

u need anything....let me know...im not far away......

Old 06-25-2011, 08:49 AM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by carrera997re

Awsome! I will keep you in mind

Old 06-25-2011, 01:14 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jjc4scab
i always thought u lived near deep inside ur best half..

Old 06-25-2011, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos
i always thought u lived near deep inside ur best half..

LOL.......thats good........thats where she wants me.......

I repd u for noticing the location......BTW I wont take back the rep like SOME unloyal speeders that r here.........hhhhhmmmmmm......Ed?&&)^)^)^*&%(*_&_) (&_

Last edited by jjc4scab; 06-25-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:02 AM
Ranger911 will become famous soon enough
Muffler removal this morning

To the OP:

I just took off the mufflers on my 997.2 to install Fabspeed muffler bypass pipes (that I bought from a fellow 6Speeder--thanks MMCaptain!)

I did it on the floor of my garage, with all four wheels on the deck...there are literally SIX nuts to unbolt per side, one of which is admittedly very difficult to access. I didn't remove the rear wheels, nor did I have or need a helper. Once unbolted, you can slide the cans right out of the rear fender, without so much as removing the fender support stay/bracket.

I only needed to jack the car up after everything was unbolted to provide ground clearance to physically remove the unbolted cans. However, at that point they were already resting on the ground.

In short, there is no way this should take a competent mechanic two hours of labor, and this is something even a minimally competent DIYer can accomplish if you have the tools. (MM Captain has it down to 20 minutes per side, by the way.)

If, however, you do not have the proper hand tools and at least a floor jack, a modicum of automotive technical aptitude, or just don't enjoy working on your car (not everyone does and that's okay too) then, by all means, take it to a mechanic. But, I digress, two hours IS excessive, but then again I balked when my dealership wanted to charge me four hours labor to install an OEM short throw shifter...not to highjack, and apropos of excessive labor charges, but anyone else think four hours is about two hours too many for a short throw shifter install?

Old 06-26-2011, 06:08 AM
^^^^^^^
++1111
Way 2 much time for a mechanic.......My friend and I did a console change in 45 minutes, start to finish.

Last edited by jjc4scab; 07-06-2011 at 03:23 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installing Fister sport exhausts... Am I getting ripped off??