997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Exhaust - Performance to Value Feedback Please!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 09:21 AM
911CSLover will become famous soon enough911CSLover will become famous soon enough
Exhaust - Performance to Value Feedback Please!

Team -

I promised myself I'd leave my C2S Aero bone stone stock but... well...

So here's the question - If you were to make a call on the best bang for the buck exhaust, what would it be? Does the frugal bypass method get you far enough to audible perfection for the money to pass on more polished solutions like the Tubi?

I'm a weekender. I never track but would love more throat out of the stock system. I know the PSE sound wonderful (and love the idea of keeping her all Porsche) but the price is ridiculous.

So anyway, I know this topic has been sliced and diced. I searched previous threads but didn't see it approached like this (well that I could find anyway). I thank you in advance for your feedback.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:36 AM
911CSLover will become famous soon enough911CSLover will become famous soon enough
To add to this, I'm keen on the Fabspeed bypass. It looks like an easy enough install for me. Has anyone else done this in their garage? I've installed other cat backs in my garage but never on a P-car.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:39 AM
Recalcitrant is just really niceRecalcitrant is just really niceRecalcitrant is just really niceRecalcitrant is just really nice
I am in the same boat. Bone stock C2S and love it. I modded the heck out of my last car and promised myself I'd not do the same to this one. I had the "gundo hack" done about 3 months ago. Peeerrrrfeeeccccctttttt. I'm now done with mods. The car sounds awesome. I used 2" stainless from JEGS or somewhere like that. I orderd 18" and took it to a local fabricator. I showed him the pick and he said no problem. The mufflers are easy to take in and out also. I have about $160 in this and enjoy every dime of it. Attached are the pics if you need them for your welder. PM me if you need any help. Easy job.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26391346@N02/5952492479/http://www.flickr.com/photos/26391346@N02/5952492479/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/26391346@N02/, on Flickr

Old 07-30-2011, 09:40 AM
Recalcitrant is just really niceRecalcitrant is just really niceRecalcitrant is just really niceRecalcitrant is just really nice
I also did the muffler bypass before this. I liked the sound. I can't stand losing torque though. The car probably picked up 10 hp but lost the "feel" of that with the torque loss. JMO.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:45 AM
Ahhh. I had read about the torque loss. Why is this? Not enough back-pressure?

Old 07-30-2011, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by Recalcitrant
I am in the same boat. Bone stock C2S and love it. I modded the heck out of my last car and promised myself I'd not do the same to this one. I had the "gundo hack" done about 3 months ago. Peeerrrrfeeeccccctttttt. I'm now done with mods. The car sounds awesome. I used 2" stainless from JEGS or somewhere like that. I orderd 18" and took it to a local fabricator. I showed him the pick and he said no problem. The mufflers are easy to take in and out also. I have about $160 in this and enjoy every dime of it. Attached are the pics if you need them for your welder. PM me if you need any help. Easy job.

IMG_0151 by jetpilotjr, on Flickr
I really appreciate your feedback and offer to help. I'm going to see if I can get an idea from youtube on the sound difference. We're you nervous modifying the stock components like this? Seems invasive.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:52 AM
I was hesitant. I agree with the thought of modifying something you might want stock later. It sounds EXACTLY like the PSE if you've heard that. Reason being is that the PSE does exactly what the pipe does, only you can turn it off. I ended up trusting the 100s of guys on the site that have done this. They all said it was perfect. They were right. If you don't have ramps to back on to, I'm putting up a thread of the ones I made right now. About $12 bucks in them! It'll be posted shortly.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:59 AM
Old 07-30-2011, 10:21 AM
So the big question is 1.5" or 2" bypass. I'm alone in my p-car most of the time so I'm thinking 2".

Old 07-30-2011, 10:54 AM
I can only vouch for the 2. Deep, nice tone. Really sounds great at above 5000 RPM.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:54 PM
porshanut is on a distinguished road
You had this done by a local guy in Del Rio? I am in Austin and am thinking of getting it done here. By the way-class 72-01 Laughlin by the sea.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:22 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
2" Gundo is the way to go. I loved the sound, but wanted more volume and bass, hence the other exhaust mods on my signature.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by porshanut
You had this done by a local guy in Del Rio? I am in Austin and am thinking of getting it done here. By the way-class 72-01 Laughlin by the sea.
Very nice on class 72-01! The 38 is still kicking. I had arc-rite welding do it. They weld everything over there. Big tanks, stainless, etc. They specialize in those big *** brush guards for the front of your truck. They did a really nice job on the welds. Took a day.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:09 PM
Ranger911 will become famous soon enough
OP: As I understand it, the Gundo sounds better on the non-DFI cars (yours). I just had my mufflers done by Fister (mine's DFI) and they sound better than stock but still a little muted for my taste.

I ran the Fabspeed muffler delete pipes for a little bit while my mufflers were sent to CA, but while the volume was LOUD, the deal breaker was the in-cabin drone which was awful.

I am contemplating adding an X-Pipe to the Fister for a little more volume, but am concerned with the double whammy of less hp and torque by doing so.

In any event, you are not alone in the search for a reasonably priced alternative...

Old 08-01-2011, 02:43 PM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 911CSLover
Team -

I promised myself I'd leave my C2S Aero bone stone stock but... well...

So here's the question - If you were to make a call on the best bang for the buck exhaust, what would it be? Does the frugal bypass method get you far enough to audible perfection for the money to pass on more polished solutions like the Tubi?

I'm a weekender. I never track but would love more throat out of the stock system. I know the PSE sound wonderful (and love the idea of keeping her all Porsche) but the price is ridiculous.

So anyway, I know this topic has been sliced and diced. I searched previous threads but didn't see it approached like this (well that I could find anyway). I thank you in advance for your feedback.
I had PSE from the factory, but I put on AWE 200 cell racing cats and this is really the difference maker for the exhaust. If you ask someone who has done the research probably 85-90% of the HP gain is from the CATS. However, even if you change the entire exhaust, you probably won't "feel" the difference it will be all audible difference. Sometimes making it louder, makes it seem faster. I bought my slightly used AWE cats from someone here on the forum. I don't know if I really feel the difference in HP, but my car sounds better and I supposedly added ~20 HP. So, I think my change was the best bang for the buck with no CELs and I passed inspection.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Exhaust - Performance to Value Feedback Please!