997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

How to set Garage Door Opener on 997.1S?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 10:50 AM
qikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud of
Thanks guys for starting this thread... about 4-5 yrs ago when I bought my wifes Cayenne S I had this issue... it turned out that my 10 yr old garage door unit would not work with home link. Plus the motor on the garage opener was noisy and rattling so I finally swapped it out for a "chamberlain" belt drive unit a few years ago and it worked flawlessly for the Cayenne...

BUT my 06 C4S was really frustrating me. I too only got through steps 1-5 where basically the fog light blink 3 times as listed in the car manual. I even tried the learn function on the door opener, but no luck... So you guys inspired me to try one more time.

I went to the Homelink website listed earlier, looked up my garage door opener manufacturer along with Porsche's and followed ALL the steps.
There was one step mentioned earlier in these posts about keep your car running while programming it. Not sure if that was the missing link, but after 2 yrs of giving up and not using my home link system I finally got it to work for the first time last night

- turned on my car and then followed programming steps as in manual so that
fog lights blink 3 times.
- got back into the car and pressed the assigned button. It blinked a few times and went solid... this let me know that the garage unit has to be in learn mode.
-I found the "learn mode" button on the garage unit and pressed that button and a small light came on to let me know it was in "learning mode"
-got back in my car and pressed the assigned button and held down for a few seconds and then repeated it. by the third try the garage had learned the code.
Now it works as I had always wanted it to.

Thanks for all your input guys!

Old 08-03-2011, 10:58 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by qikqbn
Thanks guys for starting this thread... about 4-5 yrs ago when I bought my wifes Cayenne S I had this issue... it turned out that my 10 yr old garage door unit would not work with home link. Plus the motor on the garage opener was noisy and rattling so I finally swapped it out for a "chamberlain" belt drive unit a few years ago and it worked flawlessly for the Cayenne...

BUT my 06 C4S was really frustrating me. I too only got through steps 1-5 where basically the fog light blink 3 times as listed in the car manual. I even tried the learn function on the door opener, but no luck... So you guys inspired me to try one more time.

I went to the Homelink website listed earlier, looked up my garage door opener manufacturer along with Porsche's and followed ALL the steps.
There was one step mentioned earlier in these posts about keep your car running while programming it. Not sure if that was the missing link, but after 2 yrs of giving up and not using my home link system I finally got it to work for the first time last night

- turned on my car and then followed programming steps as in manual so that
fog lights blink 3 times.
- got back into the car and pressed the assigned button. It blinked a few times and went solid... this let me know that the garage unit has to be in learn mode.
-I found the "learn mode" button on the garage unit and pressed that button and a small light came on to let me know it was in "learning mode"
-got back in my car and pressed the assigned button and held down for a few seconds and then repeated it. by the third try the garage had learned the code.
Now it works as I had always wanted it to.

Thanks for all your input guys!
Glad to hear it worked out. Not sure that the car needs to be running but you do need to have the ignition on to get power to the Homelink module. Different than most cars where the Homelink is "hot" all the time.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:16 PM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Glad to hear it worked out. Not sure that the car needs to be running but you do need to have the ignition on to get power to the Homelink module. Different than most cars where the Homelink is "hot" all the time.
Never understood homelink being hot all the time. So....the car is parked in the driveway, you aren't home (maybe at work, vacation, etc)....someone just has to break the window to the car and they have instant access to your house.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:35 PM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by IAPorscheDoc
Never understood homelink being hot all the time. So....the car is parked in the driveway, you aren't home (maybe at work, vacation, etc)....someone just has to break the window to the car and they have instant access to your house.
That is why I unplug and lock my garage door during vacation.
I also will not own a chain drive opener either. Easy to defeat.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:48 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
damn, that is right - i also struggled with that programming jumping back and forth from ladder until i left car working on idle all the time and THEN it got programmed fine. that was it!

Old 08-07-2011, 02:04 PM
Ballgie has a spectacular aura aboutBallgie has a spectacular aura about
Finally, i got it work just now since yr 2006. Haha... Thanks everyone info and effort. So happy!

Old 10-06-2016, 11:35 AM
Monster231 is on a distinguished road
Bringing this back from the dead....I live in a high rise with a shared garage. Has anyone had success making homelink work in a garage like mine?

Old 10-06-2016, 12:03 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Monster231
Bringing this back from the dead....I live in a high rise with a shared garage. Has anyone had success making homelink work in a garage like mine?
We don't know what kind garage door opener you have...assuming the equipment is compatible then, yes, you can program the Homelink to operate. But you're going to have to do some ground work first - like ask your building manager what type of opener they use then ask if other tenants have been successful with programming. Good luck.

Old 10-06-2016, 12:09 PM
Also, many gated communities do not use rolling code remotes so programming your car's Homelink should be very easy - grab your remote and follow the instructions in your owner's manual.

Old 10-06-2016, 04:00 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I live in a gated community. Our gate uses a LiftMaster system, and I was able to successfully program the homelink system in my 997.1 turbo to open it without any issues.

Old 07-30-2017, 01:15 PM
Auto Amateur is an unknown quantity at this point
The transmitter in the 997 is in the bumper...thats why you have to go to the front of the car as part of the programming...so windscreen wouldn't cause any interference.
I've tried all the instructions and all the different approaches but I still can't get it to work with my 997.1. It's soooooo annoying!! I hold the ****er in front of my bumper for like 2 mins and the fog lights don't flash for me. The Homelink light inside doesn't stop blinking, it's as if it's refusing to accept or learn the code. ****!!!!!!

Old 07-30-2017, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by Auto Amateur
I've tried all the instructions and all the different approaches but I still can't get it to work with my 997.1. It's soooooo annoying!! I hold the ****er in front of my bumper for like 2 mins and the fog lights don't flash for me. The Homelink light inside doesn't stop blinking, it's as if it's refusing to accept or learn the code. ****!!!!!!
Make sure the remote you use is not the mini version but a full size version with fresh batteries. Are you holding the clicker pointing at the correct part of the bumper and at the proper distance? See the illustration in the owner's manual. In the last 10 years, I've had 3 997.1's and 1 997.2 and was able to program Homelink with no issues. You might go to the Homelink web site and download the instructions they provide for 997.1 programming. Same as the owner's manual but maybe explained clearer. Don't give up.

Old 07-30-2017, 05:36 PM
The transmitter in the 997 is in the bumper...thats why you have to go to the front of the car as part of the programming...so windscreen wouldn't cause any interference.
Thanks! I've now finally managed to program the car, getting the fog light to flash three times (woohoo!) but I can't for the life of me, figure out how to get it to work with my garage door opener. I've pressed the "learn" but and gone back to my 997 to press the Homelink button I programmed two and three times, pressing and holding for a second or two then releasing. NOTHING! What's annoying is that at this point my portable garage door opener stops working and I have to pair it with the garage door opener again. WTF?!

Old 07-30-2017, 05:37 PM
Make sure the remote you use is not the mini version but a full size version with fresh batteries. Are you holding the clicker pointing at the correct part of the bumper and at the proper distance? See the illustration in the owner's manual. In the last 10 years, I've had 3 997.1's and 1 997.2 and was able to program Homelink with no issues. You might go to the Homelink web site and download the instructions they provide for 997.1 programming. Same as the owner's manual but maybe explained clearer. Don't give up.
Thanks! I've now finally managed to program the car, getting the fog light to flash three times (woohoo!) but I can't for the life of me, figure out how to get it to work with my garage door opener. I've pressed the "learn" but and gone back to my 997 to press the Homelink button I programmed two and three times, pressing and holding for a second or two then releasing. NOTHING! What's annoying is that at this point my portable garage door opener stops working and I have to pair it with the garage door opener again. WTF?!

Old 07-30-2017, 11:36 PM
qikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Auto Amateur
Was your car running at idle through the entire process? Including the car programming?. That's what finally made the difference for me. Also. After getting fog lights to blink and locking in programming in car. Try backing up or pulling forward While your garage opener is in learning mode . Sometimes the distance from signal will read better.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to set Garage Door Opener on 997.1S?