997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Travelling for more than 2 months. Help needed.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 04:40 PM
jeopardy is on a distinguished road
Travelling for more than 2 months. Help needed.

Hi,

Allow me to thank you all in advance for your help.

I own a 2010 997.2 Carrera S PDK. I will be travelling for almost 2 to 3 months. (YES I WILL MISS MY CAR SO MUCH). My question is:

- shall I disconnect the battery? And if so when I come back will i be able to simply connect the battery and drive the car, or does the battery require any charging?

OR

- shall I ask someone in my family to start it once or twice per week for 10 mins in the garage? ( I don't really like anyone to drive the car, so just starting it in its place.)

What do you guys recommend? And if you have any other recommendations I will be very grateful.

Thank you so much for your help.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:19 PM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
Buy a battery Maintainer from porsche and leave it pluged in. That should save the battery i think. There might be other things such as topping off your gas idk just a idea.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:23 PM
pvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nice
I have traveled for months at a time.
I had a trickle-charger (2 Amp 12V Trickle Charger for 6 and 12V Batteries by Schumacher) hooked up to the battery.
No issues at all. Starts at the first try

Old 09-20-2011, 05:47 PM
6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough
Ive used battery tenders on my streetbikes, quads, cars etc; never had any problems

Old 09-20-2011, 06:09 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Battery tender, full tank of gas, and inflate your tires a few psi higher is all you'll need

Old 09-20-2011, 06:33 PM
wolfnards has a spectacular aura aboutwolfnards has a spectacular aura about
+1 on battery tender. no doubt about it. don't have folks start up the car and warm up for 10 minutes. doesn't help unless they will drive it.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:36 PM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jeopardy
Hi,

Allow me to thank you all in advance for your help.

I own a 2010 997.2 Carrera S PDK. I will be travelling for almost 2 to 3 months. (YES I WILL MISS MY CAR SO MUCH). My question is:

- shall I disconnect the battery? And if so when I come back will i be able to simply connect the battery and drive the car, or does the battery require any charging?

OR

- shall I ask someone in my family to start it once or twice per week for 10 mins in the garage? ( I don't really like anyone to drive the car, so just starting it in its place.)

What do you guys recommend? And if you have any other recommendations I will be very grateful.

Thank you so much for your help.
I can drive your car around for you while while you're away.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:30 PM
6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough
Ive gone a month without driving my z06 that I generally daily Drive so pretty much battery tender is a must... like they said tire psi and full of gas

Old 09-21-2011, 07:14 AM
jeopardy is on a distinguished road
Thank you everyone for your help. Ill try to get a battery tender soon.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:24 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
i always disconnect battery when we are leaving house. if car is in the garage - open windows, open trunk, disconnect battery and put a cardboard or cloth on top of the lock so trunk lid would not get closed.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:44 AM
TomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the rough
If you're gone more than a couple of months:
- add a 1/2 dose of Sta-bil or similar conditioner to the tank
- get a dozen thick carpet samples, put them three high behind each wheel, back onto them and leave the car parked that way
- if you wish, stuff a ball of rags under the arm of each wiper to keep the blades off the windscreen

Old 09-21-2011, 07:59 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TomE
- get a dozen thick carpet samples, put them three high behind each wheel, back onto them and leave the car parked that way
pumping more pressure into tires up to 45-50psi also works fine. just don`t forget to bleed it off later.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:19 PM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
If your in London place some mice/rat traps in your garage as well. Seriously, a couple of months really isn't considered 'storage'. A battery tender should be all you need for that length of time.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:32 PM
Sciloh is a jewel in the roughSciloh is a jewel in the roughSciloh is a jewel in the rough
what if you live in a condo and parking doesn't have any electrical outlets??
I'm asking as both my parking spots in my condo doesn't have outlets (don't mean to highjack your post but since we are on the subject)

Old 09-21-2011, 07:19 PM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Sciloh
what if you live in a condo and parking doesn't have any electrical outlets??
I'm asking as both my parking spots in my condo doesn't have outlets (don't mean to highjack your post but since we are on the subject)
You ever hear of something called an extension cord? They come in lengths up to 100 ft. You can place the little battery tender inside the car or trunk so it won't be stolen. It doesn't put out much heat so there shouldn't be a concern from that perspective.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Travelling for more than 2 months. Help needed.