997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997.2 Bluetooth Audio?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 03:27 AM
fuigo is on a distinguished road
My simple (and cheap) solution!

I've been wanting to enjoy my online radio app on my iPhone for many months now. I researched online extensively. I emailed numerous car audio equipment shops. Everything gave me the same answer. There are a lot of 3rd-party options for the PCM 2.X and 3.1 versions. For those of us who are stuck with the PCM 3.0 really have no choice, but to improvise.

I eventually bought myself a cheap, yet effective, BT A2DP dongle, with a built-in USB power interface. I plug the dongle in the USB port on my 997.2 PCM 3.0 to get power and simply connect a regular 3.5mm AUX cable from the dongle to the AUX port!

Attached Images  
Old 06-07-2013, 04:56 AM
Ilias4s is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by fuigo
I've been wanting to enjoy my online radio app on my iPhone for many months now. I researched online extensively. I emailed numerous car audio equipment shops. Everything gave me the same answer. There are a lot of 3rd-party options for the PCM 2.X and 3.1 versions. For those of us who are stuck with the PCM 3.0 really have no choice, but to improvise.

I eventually bought myself a cheap, yet effective, BT A2DP dongle, with a built-in USB power interface. I plug the dongle in the USB port on my 997.2 PCM 3.0 to get power and simply connect a regular 3.5mm AUX cable from the dongle to the AUX port!

Perfect idea..the quality of the music is good?from which site did you buy it?

Old 06-07-2013, 08:34 AM
Originally Posted by Ilias4s
Perfect idea..the quality of the music is good?from which site did you buy it?
Hi, I don't know where you are. I got this in Taiwan.

The official site for this product is HERE.

I found THIS on a US shopping site.

Sound quality is satisfactory. I use it to stream BBC radio mostly. You do have to turn on the volume higher than usual, but I think that's the case with any AUX device. Good luck.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:57 PM
dpron is on a distinguished road
I use this bluetooth receiver. It works fantastic when connected to Aux, and still allows my phone to pair with PCM for automatic switchover to car control of phone calls.

Amazon - Miccus Mini-Jack RX Amazon - Miccus Mini-Jack RX

Old 06-07-2013, 07:36 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
I use an iPhone 5 and a standard Apple adapter plug to connect between the stock Porsche DIN cable and the iPhone. It charges the phone, plays without the mini plug and I can see the artist and song on my PCM 3.0 in the '11 GTS' when listening to Pandora.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by dpron
I use this bluetooth receiver. It works fantastic when connected to Aux, and still allows my phone to pair with PCM for automatic switchover to car control of phone calls.

Amazon - Miccus Mini-Jack RX
I thought about getting one of those, but I wanted to find a solution with a power source, so I never have to worry about charging the unit.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:56 PM
Really? The 30pin to Lightning converter didn't work for me. Plus, I'd like to be able to see the screen of the phone when I'm driving.

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I use an iPhone 5 and a standard Apple adapter plug to connect between the stock Porsche DIN cable and the iPhone. It charges the phone, plays without the mini plug and I can see the artist and song on my PCM 3.0 in the '11 GTS' when listening to Pandora.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:48 AM
Chinaski-NY is on a distinguished road

Amazon - Miccus Mini-Jack RX
Just picked this up. One problem im having is the unit never turns off because the USB port in my '12 997 NEVER turns off. I assumed it was switched as it is in other cars i've used. Not only am i concerned about the drain on the car, but it stays connected to my iphone and drains that battery too. Is there any way to make the USB shut off when the key is turned off in PCM settings somewhere? Can't find anything helpful in the PCM manual. Thanks.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:56 AM
Yeah, that is a bit annoying. I just unplug it whenever I'm going to be out of the car for a long time. Haven't experienced any drain issues.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:48 PM
I stand corrected, the USB power DOES shut off, but it takes something like 10-15 minutes. Well after all the interior lights and exterior ambient lights go off. Once I open the door the port powers up again. I went through all the PCM settings, there is nothing on adjusting this, but it's not a big deal as long as it does shut off. German radios in general are some of the strangest i've seen.

Dpron, thanks for the recommendation, the BT unit is very slick and works very well. I find that the ashtray makes a nice iphone5 holder as well

Old 07-12-2013, 12:16 PM
Neat little gadget

Attached Images  
Old 07-12-2013, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by Chinaski-NY
Neat little gadget
beautiful.. where did you get that tiny little USB cable?

Last edited by dpron; 07-12-2013 at 02:17 PM. Reason: removed image
Old 07-12-2013, 05:07 PM
beautiful.. where did you get that tiny little USB cable?
From this company at the link below. Choose the 5" size (RR-AR4TMBR1-05GL). They gave me a free ground shipping code: 46720765, enter that at checkout.

http://www.usbfirewire.com/Parts/rr-ar4tmbr1-xxg.html

Old 07-14-2013, 01:34 PM
North Shore 911 will become famous soon enoughNorth Shore 911 will become famous soon enough
This is an uninformed question, but is there a upgrade available for PCM 3.0 to 3.1? Is it just a software or firmware upgrade to get the BT AUX option, or is it an actual hardware upgrade?

Old 07-14-2013, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by North Shore 911
This is an uninformed question, but is there a upgrade available for PCM 3.0 to 3.1? Is it just a software or firmware upgrade to get the BT AUX option, or is it an actual hardware upgrade?
Unfortunately not, 3.1 is a different radio.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Bluetooth Audio?