997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997.2 Bluetooth Audio?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 04:54 PM
North Shore 911 will become famous soon enoughNorth Shore 911 will become famous soon enough
So to play Pandora or Spotify through my iPhone 5, it looks like either getting the BT unit you described earlier in this thread to play wirelessly or to use a wired connection cable into the AUX jack. Thanks for giving me your quick answer as my local Porsche service guy had no idea when I asked him this yesterday!

Old 07-14-2013, 10:01 PM
Chinaski-NY is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by North Shore 911
So to play Pandora or Spotify through my iPhone 5, it looks like either getting the BT unit you described earlier in this thread to play wirelessly or to use a wired connection cable into the AUX jack. Thanks for giving me your quick answer as my local Porsche service guy had no idea when I asked him this yesterday!
If you're going the wired connection route with an iphone 5 use the ipod harness and connector. You'll need an adapter from the 20-pin apple to the new lightening plug (apple store or apple.com), but that way it'll charge the phone when plugged in and you'll be able to do some basic functions on the PCM when connected with those apps, like switch pandora channels and maybe other options. Otherwise the Miccus BT unit works really well and is inexpensive.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:44 PM
MPM
MPM is on a distinguished road
Smile Bluetooth Audio in PCM 3.0 Solved!

Gave this the Viseo Tune2Air WMA 100 a try on the recommendation of another member:

Amazon.com: ViseeO Tune2air WMA1000: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: ViseeO Tune2air WMA1000: Cell Phones & Accessories

Can't believe how well it worked on my iphone! Audio quality is great! Steering wheel controls work! Name of the tracks show up on the screen as if it were directly connected.

Even worked with my Android, but the track names don't show up. But steering wheel controls still work. I don't even have to pull my phone out of my pockets!

This also apparently works in BMW, VW, Mercedes, and Range Rovers

I would consider this the best solution by far so far!

Old 10-23-2013, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by MPM
Gave this the Viseo Tune2Air WMA 100 a try on the recommendation of another member:

Amazon.com: ViseeO Tune2air WMA1000: Cell Phones & Accessories

Can't believe how well it worked on my iphone! Audio quality is great! Steering wheel controls work! Name of the tracks show up on the screen as if it were directly connected.

Even worked with my Android, but the track names don't show up. But steering wheel controls still work. I don't even have to pull my phone out of my pockets!

This also apparently works in BMW, VW, Mercedes, and Range Rovers

I would consider this the best solution by far so far!
MPM, i ordered and just received this device but cannot get it to operate. Do you have a 997.2 or a 991 is probably the first thing i should verify with you. If i plug any 30-pin device directly into the porsche adapter the pcm screen detects and can access (tried ipod and ipad). however when i plug in the ViseeO there is no detection, no lights come on per ViseeO manual. Im trying to find a tech support number but apparently thay don't have one. I'd appreciate any advice on how you got yours working. Thanks.

Last edited by Chinaski-NY; 10-23-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:18 PM
MPM
MPM is on a distinguished road
I just realized that I was in the wrong forum. I've got a 2010 Cayenne 2 with the PCM 3.0. Worked as if it were directly connected.

I wonder if you got a dud, though? At the least, a blue light should come on showing that it has power.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:38 PM
ellery is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MPM
I just realized that I was in the wrong forum. I've got a 2010 Cayenne 2 with the PCM 3.0. Worked as if it were directly connected.

I wonder if you got a dud, though? At the least, a blue light should come on showing that it has power.
That's unfortunate. looks like a neat solution.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:46 PM
No blue light when I plug it into the Porsche, but i do get the blue lights when I plug it into a PC's USB port (using apple adapter). There is a firmware update but I can't update it because the software download at ViseeO's website requires a key code to unlock and I can't get a hold of anyone to get one. Terrible customer support for sure. If I get this working i'll post back, otherwise assume i've returned it.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:20 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Chinaski-NY
MPM, i ordered and just received this device but cannot get it to operate. Do you have a 997.2 or a 991 is probably the first thing i should verify with you. If i plug any 30-pin device directly into the porsche adapter the pcm screen detects and can access (tried ipod and ipad). however when i plug in the ViseeO there is no detection, no lights come on per ViseeO manual. Im trying to find a tech support number but apparently thay don't have one. I'd appreciate any advice on how you got yours working. Thanks.
I can imagine that maybe the PCM only sees the iWidget if it is paired to the adapter device... is it paired?

Old 10-23-2013, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by Minok
I can imagine that maybe the PCM only sees the iWidget if it is paired to the adapter device... is it paired?
I can't do anything with the device. If I plug an ipod/ipad/iwhatever directly in the 30-pin on the 911 the"ipod" shows up in the "Disc" menu on the pcm. Plugging this device in results in nothing. I can't pair anything to it as it's not operating at all.

The Miccus unit I have works fine, it's only limitation is you still need to use the iphone to change tracks, pause, etc. which isn't a major issue, but if I got this to work and had full menus on the PCM screen that would be a nice upgrade. Sadly the manufacturer of this ViseeeO has nonexistent customer service.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:31 PM
Banned
JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !
I was recently in Best Buy and asked if there was a device to enable Bluetooth connectivity on non-Bluetooth enabled cars. He walked right over and showed me a product that does just this for about $199.00 installed (if I recall correctly).

I've decided to just replace the POS PITA original PCM unit with an Alpine INE-W927HD and not worry anymore about it. Call it an early Xmas gift to myself.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:41 PM
Per ViseeO this will not work with the 997's. They told me to send it back, don't waste your time with this thing.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:38 PM
HA! Well im glad to report back that I got the damn thing to work! Googled PCM3 and WMA1000 and found a pic on Rennlist What I had no idea of was to plug the USB plug into the car, I figured that was for plugging in an android phone or other USB storage device. Also I didn't have the USB plug in there when I directly connected an ipod and the PCM manual said nothing (it's a lousy manual to be honest). So the damn thing works as well as MPM says it does. Full control of your iphone's music library and Pandora and probably other music apps as well just like it was plugged in directly. Nice toy

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	0be2.jpg
Views:	9533
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	293072   Click image for larger version

Name:	5v92.jpg
Views:	9416
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	293073  

Last edited by Chinaski-NY; 10-23-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:22 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
You can blame Apple for that confusion.

They had a 30 pin connector that provided both 5v DC charging (typically from a USB port on the other end), and 12v DC charging (typically from a firewire port on the other end, but hey, thats also what you get natively in cars).

Apple then went and along the way dropped using the 12v DC pins on the incoming connectors internally to the devices - so if the power delivery into the iDock cable came via the 12v DC pin exclusively - as it would in cars - then the device relying only on the 5v DC power pin gets zero power.

Thats why the Y shaped cable came about... to pull 5v DC from the USB port of the universal audio interface (UAI) and put power on that separate 5v DC pin as well as the 12v DC pin already powered. Now Apple's new devices with 30pin ports also get power... and any other device that also decided to power exclusively from the 5v sources.

Weakly designed and implemented standards always cause this sort of annoying nonsense.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:53 PM
a4ep will become famous soon enough
Per ViseeO this will not work with the 997's. They told me to send it back, don't waste your time with this thing.
I have the ViseeO and it works great, exactly the same as having the ipod plugged in on my 997.2.

Others have talked about needing the usb Y-connector to get it to work but mine works fine with just the old single connector cable that came with the 2009 997.

It does hiccup sometimes for less than a second but having the wireless capability FAR outweighs that.

By using the old single non-usb connector I am able to charge my phone if necessary from the usb port so the WMA1000 is simply awesome.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:25 PM
SoCal GT3 will become famous soon enough
HA! Well im glad to report back that I got the damn thing to work! Googled PCM3 and WMA1000 and found a pic on Rennlist What I had no idea of was to plug the USB plug into the car, I figured that was for plugging in an android phone or other USB storage device. Also I didn't have the USB plug in there when I directly connected an ipod and the PCM manual said nothing (it's a lousy manual to be honest). So the damn thing works as well as MPM says it does. Full control of your iphone's music library and Pandora and probably other music apps as well just like it was plugged in directly. Nice toy
Thank you for the follow-up! Looks like a great solution!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Bluetooth Audio?