997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Track Car to Complement the 997S cab?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 09:10 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Track Car to Complement the 997S cab?

My two fun cars are a 911S cab and a C63. I got both of them new in the past year, and both are leased, so I don't think they're suitable for track use, at least while I'm still developing my skills on the track. I don't want to worry about damaging expensive new cars and not having insurance protection, running into warranty problems, or having to pay a big penalty at the end of the lease.

I'm now thinking that I should get a used car mainly for track use which I can thrash around without worry, so I'd like to keep the cost under about $40K, preferably well below that. Since I like Porsches and prefer a mid or rear engine layout, two options which come to mind are a 996 or Cayman. The 944 also seems like a possibility, though I'm not sure I want to get a car that old.

Any suggestions?

Old 10-23-2011, 09:22 AM
sizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond repute
Spec miata

Old 10-23-2011, 09:34 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sizquik
Spec miata
I thought about the Miata, but it has to be a hardtop, since some tracks require that. Also, I wonder how durable the Miata would be with heavy track use. Seems like Porsches are best in that regard.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:54 AM
Jack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant future
spec boxster. get a dedicated track car and the best value is a car that someone else already built. look for one that is in very nice shape and get it checked out first. Are you considering a tow vehicle and trailer? It's a slippery slope...

Old 10-23-2011, 09:54 AM
Tcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to behold
The durability of the Spec Miata doesn't matter. You can buy a race ready Spec for about $8K to $10K (inc. hard top and roll bar and probably sports seats). If you crash it you take a hammer and bang out the dent, if you blow the engine you can buy a new one for $1.5K to $2K. Any major damage can be easily fixed and, if you can't do it yourself, there are plenty of Indy's that can do the job. Plus, there are plenty of used ones on the market so you can basically buy a junk spare Miata for parts. They are a blast to drive and the cost of entry is a lot less than a Boxster or Cayman (but not as cool looking as the Porsche's). And finally, you can get your SCCA license and race the thing for real (and not worry too much about damage to a $40K track car) - and a lot of the guys who do race them are fast.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:59 AM
Bumblellardo is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sizquik
Spec miata
+1

What is everybody's opinion about tracking a Boxster? To high of maintenance?

Old 10-23-2011, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by Jack667
spec boxster. get a dedicated track car and the best value is a car that someone else already built. look for one that is in very nice shape and get it checked out first. Are you considering a tow vehicle and trailer? It's a slippery slope...
Very unlikely that I'd get a trailer and tow vehicle. I just want a "practice" track car so that I can develop driving skills without messing up the new cars.

Last edited by Manifold; 10-23-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by Tcc1999
The durability of the Spec Miata doesn't matter. You can buy a race ready Spec for about $8K to $10K (inc. hard top and roll bar and probably sports seats). If you crash it you take a hammer and bang out the dent, if you blow the engine you can buy a new one for $1.5K to $2K. Any major damage can be easily fixed and, if you can't do it yourself, there are plenty of Indy's that can do the job. Plus, there are plenty of used ones on the market so you can basically buy a junk spare Miata for parts. They are a blast to drive and the cost of entry is a lot less than a Boxster or Cayman (but not as cool looking as the Porsche's). And finally, you can get your SCCA license and race the thing for real (and not worry too much about damage to a $40K track car) - and a lot of the guys who do race them are fast.
Thanks, this does sound like an option to look into further. Any suggestions on how to find a Spec Miata? I did a quick search on Cars.com and didn't spot any, but maybe I don't know what I'm looking for.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:05 AM
Bumblellardo is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Manifold
Very unlikely that I'd get a trailer and tow vehicle. I just want a "practice" track car so that I can develop driving skills without mess up the new cars.

How long have you been tracking cars in general?

Old 10-23-2011, 10:17 AM
LambOfGod is infamous around these partsLambOfGod is infamous around these partsLambOfGod is infamous around these parts
S2000

Old 10-23-2011, 10:47 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Lotus Elise or Exige. Built for tracking but streetable and cheap consumables

Old 10-23-2011, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by Bumblellardo
How long have you been tracking cars in general?
I've just had one day of the AMG Driving Academy at Lime Rock, and had a blast. Other than that, I've done some reading on performance driving and tried to apply what I've learned on public roads, but of course getting close the limits isn't realistic on public roads.

Last edited by Manifold; 10-23-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:50 PM
PaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to behold
buy a C5 ZO6. You can fiind a nice low mileage example in the mid twenties. At this price, they are an incredible value...

I am a porsche guy but I still believe a C5 ZO6 would be the best bang for your buck. Plus, it is a chevy, you can fix it in your garage with a hammer.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:19 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Manifold
... I'm now thinking that I should get a used car mainly for track use which I can thrash around without worry, so I'd like to keep the cost under about $40K, preferably well below that. ...
Spec Boxster.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:33 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
I dont understand your reluctance to track your car.

At your experience level I think its best to drive your 997 in PCA events DE events in the green run group. You will need to get a removable roll bar installed.

Very little chance something will happen and instead of spending coin on a third car spend the money on track insurance. Who cares if the 1 in 10000 chance comes out and you sustain some damage. The car is leased. You will get it fixed and move on.

If not then go for an evo or wrx subie.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Track Car to Complement the 997S cab?