997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Infant Car Seat--Please Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 08:08 PM
coco0045 will become famous soon enough
Infant Car Seat--Please Help

Hi,
I've searched this forum and found some useful but outdated information on infant car seat. My wife is due next month with our first child. I was told by local dealer that the Porsche car seat is available but he's unsure if it'll work for the 997. Hence the reason for my question:
Can anyone give me a recommendation for a rear facing infant car seat that will fit in the back seats? I can settle and go for a front rear facing car seat if needed (with airbags disable of course) but for safety reasons, I prefer the car seat to be in the back? Thanks!

Old 12-04-2011, 08:11 PM
IslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of light
the 997 can be a good family car with a small child, but it's not built for a rear facing seat. I don't know of a single one that will fit in the rear and still enable you to carry an adult front passenger.

Last edited by IslandS62; 12-04-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:16 PM
coco0045 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by IslandS62
the 997 can be a good family. at with a small child, but it's not built for a rear facing seat. I don't know of a single one that will fit in the rear and still enable you to carry an adult front passenger.
I don't plan to carry any passenger up front. Most of the time, the baby will be in my wife's Cayenne. However, on rare occasions I may need to pick up the baby or drop baby off at day care. So moving the front passenger seat all the way up will not be a problem. Affordability would also be a plus since most likely I will not be needed it much!

Old 12-05-2011, 01:00 AM
akim47 will become famous soon enoughakim47 will become famous soon enough
i used a rear facing infant seat for a whole year before recently upgrading to a front facing recaro prosport. the seat i used isnstill available on amazon for $135. it is the graco snugride 22. i got the 22 because its smaller and more compact. i had it installed without the seat back and bottom and it worked perfectly fine and was secure. its actually pointless ti get the large inant carriers because everyone i know ened up switching to a convertible sooner than later. given that a convertible will never fit it a 997 i opted forna standard front facing afterbthe infant seat.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:33 AM
Da Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by coco0045
I don't plan to carry any passenger up front. Most of the time, the baby will be in my wife's Cayenne. However, on rare occasions I may need to pick up the baby or drop baby off at day care. So moving the front passenger seat all the way up will not be a problem. Affordability would also be a plus since most likely I will not be needed it much!
Others will disagree but...

I did a TON of research and couldn't find any rear facing seats that fit in the back of my 997s that I was comfortable with. You'll be fine in two years when you can turn your child around but in the mean time, I think you'll have to either take another car or get comfortable with a seat which is frankly not as safe as it could be.

For me, I wasn't willing to compromise on the safety of the child's seat. But that's just me and it's a highly personal decision.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:45 AM
i was worried a little, but i only took my baby to/from daycare which is 10 min away. definitely not the best choice, but i made it work. the passenger seat is pretty much all the way forward.

Attached Images     
Old 12-05-2011, 11:52 AM
another alternative is to let the baby drive (kidding)... a year later (being 23 lbs and 29in), she's progressed to the recaro...

Attached Images   
Old 12-05-2011, 03:10 PM
Da Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by akim47
another alternative is to let the baby drive (kidding)... a year later (being 23 lbs and 29in), she's progressed to the recaro...
Cute kid... congrat's...that's what it's really all about anyway, right?

Just a side note (and I hope nobody misinterprests this as a criticism or slam) but the latest recommendation for kids in car seats is to keep them in a rear facing seat for the first 2 years now. It recently changed from 1 year. That makes it even harder to get a child in the back of the 911 (and frankly, a lot of other cars too).

Old 12-05-2011, 05:58 PM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
Safety of your child should come first. The Porsche OEM infant seat for the front seat with the airbag disable kit works. Funny how a Porsche dealer guy didn't know that. I have the Recaro ProSport ascwell in the rear, but my son is 27 months old.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:30 PM
wbellinz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by akim47
How is this seat secured? Via the seat belt or was LATCH installed? Thanks.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:07 PM
The Recaro is secured using the seat belt. Some have commented that they get a tighter fit by re-adjusting the angle of the seat belt receiver. What I found was that I couldn't get the seat to fit well at first when i had both the seat back and bottom cushion out. I put the seat back in. I lost some room, but the Recaro fits tight and snug and does not have any lateral movement (important). Even up and down, there is no movement.

I've actually heard there is consideration to make the rear facing for 2 years a law. I was just talking to my friend about this the other day. He has a MB G500 and a minivan. His 20mo old is already front facing, only because she does not have leg room in a rear facing position (her feet are up against the seat back). The same is the case with my daughter in my wife's car. While it's the safest, it's not always ideal to go rear facing. We have our daughter front facing in all our cars now. you always worry about your children, but we just make sure we drive safe and aware.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:37 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Da Hapa

I did a TON of research and couldn't find any rear facing seats that fit in the back of my 997s that I was comfortable with. You'll be fine in two years when you can turn your child around but in the mean time, I think you'll have to either take another car or get comfortable with a seat which is frankly not as safe as it could be.

For me, I wasn't willing to compromise on the safety of the child's seat. But that's just me and it's a highly personal decision.
Agreed. My little girl just turned one, but she's still a bit small for her age (19lbs), so she still has to face backwards. Really wanted to take her and my wife in the Turbo, so for giggles, we tried wedging the Graco infant seat into the back....no way that was going to fit. Then tried the front into the bucket seat....even worse. Mission aborted
Did the research here for when the time comes that she can sit forward facing and found many people altering convertible seats by removing the base. Wasn't comfortable with this and speaking with Britax directly, they obviously didn't recommend this either.

End result: Turbo is verboten for baby until she's big enough to ride in a booster.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:17 PM
ELUSIVE will become famous soon enoughELUSIVE will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Da Hapa

+1.
I really wanted to get my daughter in the back seat, but just wasn't comfortable with any of the options. I basically had to wait until she was old enough (about 2.5) and I got the Porsche Plus car seat for the back seat.

You could get the rear facing seat for the front seat with the airbag de-activation kit?

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...ode=997S_Child

Old 12-05-2011, 10:22 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ELUSIVE
+1.
I really wanted to get my daughter in the back seat, but just wasn't comfortable with any of the options. I basically had to wait until she was old enough (about 2.5) and I got the Porsche Plus car seat for the back seat.

You could get the rear facing seat for the front seat with the airbag de-activation kit?

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...ode=997S_Child
Probably the only truly 'safe' rear facing option in a 911, but $740 for a seat you can use for only one (maybe the recommended two if your child doesn't get taller) year? I'd just rather wait until they can fit in a booster.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:27 PM
ELUSIVE will become famous soon enoughELUSIVE will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by bonehead
Probably the only truly 'safe' rear facing option in a 911, but $740 for a seat you can use for only one (maybe the recommended two if your child doesn't get taller) year? I'd just rather wait until they can fit in a booster.
Agreed. I didn't want to spend the money either.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Infant Car Seat--Please Help