997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

AWE Tuning Cans vs. Gundo Hack

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 02:19 PM
911CSLover will become famous soon enough911CSLover will become famous soon enough
AWE Tuning Cans vs. Gundo Hack

Anyone have experience hearing them both first hand? I know the "purer" avenue is the true can replacement but...

I've heard excellent things about AWE via the grapevine but can't find much in the way of video/audio on the 997S.

Thanks!

Old 01-11-2012, 02:52 PM
DirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud of
You can't go wrong with AWE. I have their cats and they are amazing! Why do mufflers and not go for cats? 200 cell will give you more power, more pure sound, and will probably be cheaper too.

Originally Posted by 911CSLover
Anyone have experience hearing them both first hand? I know the "purer" avenue is the true can replacement but...

I've heard excellent things about AWE via the grapevine but can't find much in the way of video/audio on the 997S.

Thanks!

Old 01-11-2012, 03:09 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 911CSLover
There are videos of the AWE cans on Youtube and I believe AWE's site too but IMO video is next to worthless for choosing mufflers -- in fact it does more harm than good since it's so misleading.

I have heard them both in person and prefer the Gundo cans, though certainly the AWEs sound good.

Who cares about "pure" -- what are we, dog breeders?
If anything the Gundos might be more "pure" because it's a simple mod to the OEM.

My advice is start with the Gundos. I did mine for $300 installed and got a very nice weld result at Umlimited in Long Island, but Bodymotion closer to you does a great job too.

Then, if you still want more sound, get the AWE cats, where the real power is anyway, or intake which is good for sound but not really power.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:13 PM
DirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud of
By 'pure' I meant that you are getting closer to the race car sound with the cats, but that's just MHO.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:24 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by DirtyVegas
By 'pure' I meant that you are getting closer to the race car sound with the cats, but that's just MHO.
I agree that the cats give a richer, more broad sound. I was referring to the OP's suggestion that replacing the cans entirely is more "pure" than the Gundos...

Old 01-11-2012, 03:41 PM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KonaKai
There are videos of the AWE cans on Youtube and I believe AWE's site too but IMO video is next to worthless for choosing mufflers -- in fact it does more harm than good since it's so misleading.
I don't know if they are necessarily misleading. Just never as good as hearing them in person or going for a ride in a car.

We do our best to try and capture the most life like sound that we can. We take a lot of pride in the videos.

What I need is every single Porsche dealership in the galaxy to not only sell our stuff, but to have a test car onsite for folks to drive so they can hear it!

Ah...someday. One can dream, right?

If anyone has questions or would like to speak further about the topic, hit me up. Always willing to help.

mike@awe-tuning.com

Old 01-11-2012, 05:41 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
I am currently running AWE cats and Gundo Hack'd mufflers. Together they are fantastic! I am also running the EVOMS cold-air-intake, and the three together are amazing.

Here is a video:

Keep in mind that this was taken when I was running the SC, which lent a slight high pitch whistle, barely detectable. Also, I am running a light-weight flywheel.

Regardless, in this video you can hear that the AWE cats with the Gundo Hack is intoxicating. There is zero interior drone, by the way. Windows up, it's very quiet inside
CATTMAN

Last edited by Cattman; 01-11-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:35 PM
911CSLover will become famous soon enough911CSLover will become famous soon enough
I've heard the gundo in person but only at idle with a nice blip or two. It sounded nice a low/throaty. I, like everyone I assume, love that high pitched F1 sound and would LOVE to replicate it. I suppose I'd have to start with adding more cylinders. Ha!

Old 01-11-2012, 07:44 PM
hyper911 will become famous soon enoughhyper911 will become famous soon enough
the ipe innotech sound closer to,f1. listen when it takes off.....pure sex

Old 01-11-2012, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by hyper911
the ipe innotech sound closer to,f1. listen when it takes off.....pure sex

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJI5V...e_gdata_player
It is pure sex but that's the full system including cat bypass. The cans alone must sound quite different.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:39 AM
hyper911 will become famous soon enoughhyper911 will become famous soon enough
true enough. Plus at 2500 not cheap either.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:57 AM
farfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond repute
Gundo

I had PSE on my 08 997.1, switched to 09 C4S w/o PSE. Had Gundo done, SAME Sound.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:08 AM
mickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant future
Gundo drive by

Gundo hack ....

Old 01-12-2012, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by Arena994
I had PSE on my 08 997.1, switched to 09 C4S w/o PSE. Had Gundo done, SAME Sound.
AMEN! I'm going the gundo route. I've heard great things about Denny at Mufflex in new Jersey.

As always, many thanks for your help team. I love this board!!!

Old 01-12-2012, 02:12 PM
gleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Arena994

When you say "Same Sound" do you mean same as the .1 or same as before the mod?

Thanks!