997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Have I blown my amp

Old 01-23-2012, 06:04 PM
samkumar is on a distinguished road
Have I blown my amp

Hi Guys !! Not a good day. My battery died in my '05 997S cabriolet and I tried jumping it and switched the cable wires. Ofcourse the car didn't start but I realized it and jumped the car again, it started up but the radio and nav screen were dead along with the display on the chrono. I then started getting error messages like PSM failure and the check engine light came on. Have I blown the amp or could it just be a fuse. The car is at my porsche guy. Any input would be highly appreciated. Thanks, Sam

Old 01-23-2012, 07:01 PM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
Do mean you reversed the jumper cables? Not good! Plus-to-Neg and Neg-to-Plus? When I first read your post my initial reaction was just a fuse but it maybe something more serious if your reversed the jumper polarity. Have your checked the fuses?

Old 01-23-2012, 07:11 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
You probably have blown a fuse.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:29 PM
Thanks Guys !! I didn't get a chance to check the fuse box as I was help up at work. But if it the amp. What should I expect to pay for labor & parts. I truly have my fingers crossed.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:39 PM
C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !
Not sure what amp you are referring to but it's most likely a fuse. You would think they are the to blow first before it can reach anywhere else.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:57 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
While I have to admit I've done it myself, the experts strongly advise against "jumping" our battery (the right way), as the numerous sensitive electronic modules and devices on the car can be damaged with the transient voltages that might result. Heck, the front control module can be damaged just by using a polisher on the right fender. I hope your issue isn't the result of a damaged module, but you may need to be prepared if you can't find any obvious fuse issues. Given that you reversed the polarity, I would be concerned about the possible consequences. Good luck.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:19 PM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
If you have the Bose option the amp can be quite pricey. Labor is insignificant since it's a simple removal process from the front trunk. I suspect Porsche gets somewhere north of $500 for the Bose amp. Of course if you don't have Bose then I believe the sound system uses the PCM for audio amplification. A PCM too is pricey (more than the Bose amp I'm afraid) from Porsche.

Hope it's a fuse and be done w/ it.

Good Luck.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:25 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AP 997S
If you have the Bose option the amp can be quite pricey. Labor is insignificant since it's a simple removal process from the front trunk. I suspect Porsche gets somewhere north of $500 for the Bose amp. Of course if you don't have Bose then I believe the sound system uses the PCM for audio amplification. A PCM too is pricey (more than the Bose amp I'm afraid) from Porsche.

Hope it's a fuse and be done w/ it.

Good Luck.
I'd be surprised if it is the Bose system itself. Since the Nav isn't working either, it sounds like the PCM is having trouble. The radio and the nav are two of the devices served by the fiber optic loop. The OP says there is nothing on the screen, so it sounds like the system is down.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:26 PM
I do have the bose option. I really F*#&Ked this one up.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:14 PM
Hopefully it is a fuse or fuses. His 'Porsche guy' should be able to figure that out quickly.

Keep us in the loop (no pun intended).

Originally Posted by keninirvine
I'd be surprised if it is the Bose system itself. Since the Nav isn't working either, it sounds like the PCM is having trouble. The radio and the nav are two of the devices served by the fiber optic loop. The OP says there is nothing on the screen, so it sounds like the system is down.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:31 PM
Here is the update, I got mighty lucky. Turned out I blew 2 fuses and needed a new battery. 2 fuses, new bosch battery, labor = $450.00. Man, I must be living right. Thanks for the info guys. I love the support and our PCar Community.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:06 PM
Don
Don is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to all
Originally Posted by samkumar
Here is the update, I got mighty lucky. Turned out I blew 2 fuses and needed a new battery. 2 fuses, new bosch battery, labor = $450.00. Man, I must be living right. Thanks for the info guys. I love the support and our PCar Community.
Sorry to resurrect an old post, but I did the exact same thing. Found one fuse blown, replaced it, but it did not resolve the stereo problem.

Can you specify fuses you blew and what replacing the battery did to help? The battery works fine and not sure what replacing it would do.

Last edited by Don; 09-08-2014 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:18 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Don
Sorry to resurrect an old post, but I did the exact same thing. Found one fuse blown, replaced it, but it did not resolve the stereo problem.

Can you specify fuses you blew and what replacing the battery did to help? The battery works fine and not sure what replacing it would do.
OP replaced his battery because it was dead.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:56 PM
Don
Don is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to all
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
OP replaced his battery because it was dead.
Right, was thinking he did what I did which was put the new battery in backwards and put the cables on the wrong lugs. Was super hot in the garage and I wasn't focused.

I found one blown fuse, but replacing it didn't resolve the stereo problem. Still have PCM data in the dash read out though...not sure if that means anything.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:31 AM
mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Don
Right, was thinking he did what I did which was put the new battery in backwards and put the cables on the wrong lugs. Was super hot in the garage and I wasn't focused.

I found one blown fuse, but replacing it didn't resolve the stereo problem. Still have PCM data in the dash read out though...not sure if that means anything.
Try calling these guys:
http://www.beckerautosound.com/Porsc...amp_index.html
they rebuild Porsche amps. They may be able to help with where the fuses are too.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Have I blown my amp