997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Unveiling of the new 991

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 01:42 PM
jakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the rough
Unveiling of the new 991

Attended an unveiling of the new 911 991 last night at Porsche of North Olmsted in Ohio last evening.. Great looking cars...

The agency put on quite a show.... Food, wine, music and gifts.... model of 991, calendars, posters ...

and they handed out coupons for 50% off service or 25% off parts of your choice. Any service up to a $500. savings. That's a pretty nice gift.
Wish I was close to my 20K service.or a half price oil change... That would be a nice amount of cash to stick back in my pocket.

I suspect that all the agencies who are doing a grand unveiling would offer the same gifts. Worth a trip

Old 01-27-2012, 03:28 PM
cavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to behold
I'm attending the unveiling that Jack Daniels Porsche is doing in February. I hope it is as memorable!

Old 01-27-2012, 08:01 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
I'm heading to Carlsbad next Saturday with another Porsche friend to view them at dealer open house.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:30 AM
dolce is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cavsct94
I'm attending the unveiling that Jack Daniels Porsche is doing in February. I hope it is as memorable!
In USR? What's the date and time?

Thanks

Old 01-28-2012, 05:38 AM
cavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by dolce
In USR? What's the date and time?

Thanks
I'm waiting for the invitation to arrive, but they told me early February at the last PCA event.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:51 AM
RED HORSE is on a distinguished road
Got my invitation for Feb 2nd here in SHV.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:02 PM
lowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud of
Just came from the unveiling of the 991 here in Bellevue, WA. I had an interest in getting a new one perhaps in the next year or so....here are my general impressions:
  1. Number one: the car is big...not sure how I feel about that yet
  2. Looks great from the front, the rounded surfaces actually look nice and differentiate it from the 997
  3. The rear is not there for me....I do not like the lip that goes across above the tailights. Similarly the edges that come down on either side of rear window to the tailight lip is not there for me. Perhaps a bit more time to get used to. I definitely favor the more rounded look. Perhaps in Rev 2 they will do something about that.
  4. The console does not have a sports car feel. More of a luxury sedan (Panamera). Not sure I will ever get used to that.
  5. Dash looks great but I need to get used to the huge windshield.
  6. I like the 20 inch wheels as well though I think I would have OK with 19.
I have attached a picture but I have to say for now, I am sticking with the 997.2. I think some other 6 speed guys that were there shared the view but I don't want to speak for them.

Best part of the gathering was catching up with friends.

Attached Images   
Old 02-04-2012, 05:44 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by lowpue
Just came from the unveiling of the 991 here in Bellevue, WA. I had an interest in getting a new one perhaps in the next year or so....here are my general impressions:
  1. Number one: the car is big...not sure how I feel about that yet
  2. Looks great from the front, the rounded surfaces actually look nice and differentiate it from the 997
  3. The rear is not there for me....I do not like the lip that goes across above the tailights. Similarly the edges that come down on either side of rear window to the tailight lip is not there for me. Perhaps a bit more time to get used to. I definitely favor the more rounded look. Perhaps in Rev 2 they will do something about that.
  4. The console does not have a sports car feel. More of a luxury sedan (Panamera). Not sure I will ever get used to that.
  5. Dash looks great but I need to get used to the huge windshield.
  6. I like the 20 inch wheels as well though I think I would have OK with 19.
I have attached a picture but I have to say for now, I am sticking with the 997.2. I think some other 6 speed guys that were there shared the view but I don't want to speak for them.

Best part of the gathering was catching up with friends.
I just returned from the viewing in Carlsbad. I like the 991. The larger size wasn't that obvious to me, and I like the higher level of finish in the interiors, even if not quite as sporty. They had 2 cars being used for demos, and another 2 on display in the showroom and outside. I signed up for a test drive but didn't have time to wait for 1 1/2 hours for my turn. They are definitely pricey. The C2S outside had some decent options such as full leather, and was about $1155k, whereas the C2S inside had premium sound and sport exhaust plus some other incidentals that took it to about $126k. The sport exhaust and premium sound added over $9k. Ouch. Think I'll keep enjoying my car until after the first 991's come off leases (and the car has proven itself to be robust).

Old 02-05-2012, 08:47 AM
Fahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to all
I just saw the 991 yesterday at a local dealer. I thought the car looked great but it also seemd to be much bigger from some views ( I think my 997 is big). The cars look well finished but also a bit expensive. Inside, the view over the hood is different. A lot less like a 911 in that respect. I also noticed a more steeply raked windshield and less headroom but I believe you can delete the sunroof. I felt like I was sitting low, more reclined and the hood was higher and flatter.... a strange feeling for a 911. I am sure the car performs best compared to previous versions but it appears that Porche is designing the car for a different market. Just like with a newer BMW, even the engine sound comes through the speakers, I am told.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:06 PM
SToronto will become famous soon enough
I was at a dealer yesterday to test drive a few 997s. They had a 991 in the showroom to look at and were rotating 2-3 of them for drives. There was a steady stream of folks looking to drive them in the couple hours I was there.

Having never owned a p-car but in the market for a 997 I can appreciate certain aspects of the design of the 991 but its not my Porsche. It just seems big and luxurious. I didn't take the time to drive one. For me I grew up seeing 964 & 993 and loved the design of the 993 and the simplicity. So the 997 is a bit of an evolution of that for me.

The dealer has apparently sold ~130 units already with deliveries starting in March. Here's looking forward to the 997.2 trades!

Old 02-05-2012, 04:04 PM
Gotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to all
Got two invitations to the unveiling, McKenna and Newport Beach. Went to the Newport Beach one. It was a great presentation. Wine and food were presented elegantly but the only thing you can take home was a poster. Heard other dealers were giving out 991 paper weight if you RSVP from their invite. Anyhow, my impression on the car is similar to a lot of people who attended. It's disappointing! I'm not going into detail but as you will read the posts above and will below, it will pretty much sums up my opinion. I'm sure there will be tons and tons of aftermarket parts for your 991 exterior mods soon. I can just wait and see but for now, I still love my 997tt with techart wraparound.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:22 PM
GTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really nice
Originally Posted by Gotnem108
Got two invitations to the unveiling, McKenna and Newport Beach. Went to the Newport Beach one. It was a great presentation. Wine and food were presented elegantly but the only thing you can take home was a poster. Heard other dealers were giving out 991 paper weight if you RSVP from their invite. Anyhow, my impression on the car is similar to a lot of people who attended. It's disappointing! I'm not going into detail but as you will read the posts above and will below, it will pretty much sums up my opinion. I'm sure there will be tons and tons of aftermarket parts for your 991 exterior mods soon. I can just wait and see but for now, I still love my 997tt with techart wraparound.
Gotnem....I would take your 997TT over a 991S too!

Old 02-05-2012, 10:16 PM
ACRB is on a distinguished road
There are a couple of them over in Beverly Hills at the dealership.

I always get the impression that Porsche styles age with their demographic. I don’t sense this 991 is a young guys car.

On a design note, all that script on the tail is bizarre. Going from a discreet “Porsche” logo in black on the bottom of the rear window and one line of “Carrera S” on the 997’s- and then go with this overwhelming 2 lines of copy emblazoned in silver on the 991…. seems a bit much.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:34 AM
Gotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by GTRR
Gotnem....I would take your 997TT over a 991S too!
Thanks GTRR

Old 02-06-2012, 03:01 PM
stream41 will become famous soon enoughstream41 will become famous soon enough
I agree - not sure I feel too great about them plastering "PORSCHE" in big letters on the back of the car. Seems like posturing if you ask me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Unveiling of the new 991