997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

DIY Oil Change on 997.1 step by step with pictures

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:04 AM
oadams is on a distinguished road
Changed the oil this weekend. It was easy and fun. I recommend it. Thanks to KSD for the inspiration.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:29 PM
ksdprasad will become famous soon enough
you welcome.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:56 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Nice write up and pics. Did you cut your filter open to examine for any particles ? Great opportunity to do so. Did mine a week or so ago and was happy to find nothing but oil in the filter again. Switched to Castrol GTX Syntec 5w40 to see how it compares. Have noted a slight, .6 to .7 miles per gallon, mileage improvement but too soon to tell if it's for real.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:01 PM
Banned
JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by saint828
Where is the dipstick?
I miss my dipstick...

Old 08-28-2012, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by Dadio
Nice write up and pics. Did you cut your filter open to examine for any particles ? Great opportunity to do so. Did mine a week or so ago and was happy to find nothing but oil in the filter again. Switched to Castrol GTX Syntec 5w40 to see how it compares. Have noted a slight, .6 to .7 miles per gallon, mileage improvement but too soon to tell if it's for real.

i did cut the old filter to look at any metal in there. thank god none so far. BTW, i have replaced my drain plug with magnetic one just in case.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:54 AM
LPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to behold
997.2 diy Oil

997.2 grease monkeys: how have you handled the Service Indicator reset ?

Old 08-31-2012, 10:54 AM
stumblinhorse is on a distinguished road
I have always gone to the dealer and asked them to do the reset. My local dealer will do it for me free of charge, so in return I pay a little extra to purchase the maintenance items from their parts department. Seems like a reasonable and equitable exhange.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:59 AM
pappy is on a distinguished road
If you do your own oil changes, make sure you get the correct filter for your engine. Follow the filter manufacturer's listings in its catalog. Many filters that look the same on the outside have different internal valving.

Taps and dies

Last edited by pappy; 09-12-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:05 AM
VincentMorin is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the DIY ksdprasad! Really appreciated!

Old 09-06-2012, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by VincentMorin
Thanks for the DIY ksdprasad! Really appreciated!
You welcome Vincent.

BTW, saw your art work. they look great.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:46 PM
gulrey22 has a spectacular aura aboutgulrey22 has a spectacular aura about
KSDPRASAD: Thank you for your detailed post on the oil change.

I am a little confused however.

On 5/3/12 you said that the magnetic oil drain plug was "Un-removable" and that you switched back to the OEM plug.

I then read a later post from August where you said you are using the magnetic plug as a precaution to help identify any metal saving in the oil.

Do you like the magnetic plug? Can it be removed?

Thanks

Old 09-07-2012, 10:53 AM
VincentMorin is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ksdprasad
You welcome Vincent.

BTW, saw your art work. they look great.
Thanks ksdprasad! Really appreciated

Old 09-10-2012, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by gulrey22
KSDPRASAD: Thank you for your detailed post on the oil change.

I am a little confused however.

On 5/3/12 you said that the magnetic oil drain plug was "Un-removable" and that you switched back to the OEM plug.

I then read a later post from August where you said you are using the magnetic plug as a precaution to help identify any metal saving in the oil.

Do you like the magnetic plug? Can it be removed?

Thanks
i have used the magnetic drain plug from max-speed which was defective, and had a lot of difficulty in removing it. So my post states that on 5/3/12.

And later post, i have explained to some one's Question on "why i used magnetic drain plug verses stock".

in a nutshell Magnetic drain plugs are used "as a precaution to help identify any metal saving in the oil". Unfortunately i had a bad experience due to defective plug (appearently that was replaced with new one by max-speed )

Old 12-05-2013, 11:34 AM
rfkirk is on a distinguished road
I know this is an older thread, but was still hoping for some input.

I followed these directions to a T and found them exceptionally helpful, but I have a bit of a dilemma.

I have a 2006 Porsche Carrera 4S (997.1) which requires 9 quarts of oil. I put my car up on ramps and drained all the oil and removed and changed the oil filter. I realized that with the car up on ramps, a bit of oil may still be in the oil pan due to the angle of the car on ramps. I had read that upwards of 1/2 quart may remain. As a result, I only put 8 quarts in the car before checking.

After taking the car off the ramps onto my level driveway, the indicator lights showed all the way full and even slightly over-full. I took a short test drive (less than 10 miles) to get the car warmed up and oil flowing everywhere in the engine and tested the level again, only to show the same - full or slightly overfull.

The dilemma is, how much is slightly over-full? Do I need to drain oil from the car now to get the indicator lights to read in the normal range? How does 8 quarts of oil produce an overfull car? Thoughts?

Bob

Old 12-05-2013, 11:46 AM
myw
myw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to behold
you could drain 1/2 a L to put yourself at peace of mind.

i noticed the same thing on my last oil change... i had put in 7.5 L (~approx 8 quarts) and my c2s was full. is there some sort of discrepancy in the manual?

amazing thread.

Originally Posted by rfkirk
I know this is an older thread, but was still hoping for some input.

I followed these directions to a T and found them exceptionally helpful, but I have a bit of a dilemma.

I have a 2006 Porsche Carrera 4S (997.1) which requires 9 quarts of oil. I put my car up on ramps and drained all the oil and removed and changed the oil filter. I realized that with the car up on ramps, a bit of oil may still be in the oil pan due to the angle of the car on ramps. I had read that upwards of 1/2 quart may remain. As a result, I only put 8 quarts in the car before checking.

After taking the car off the ramps onto my level driveway, the indicator lights showed all the way full and even slightly over-full. I took a short test drive (less than 10 miles) to get the car warmed up and oil flowing everywhere in the engine and tested the level again, only to show the same - full or slightly overfull.

The dilemma is, how much is slightly over-full? Do I need to drain oil from the car now to get the indicator lights to read in the normal range? How does 8 quarts of oil produce an overfull car? Thoughts?

Bob

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY Oil Change on 997.1 step by step with pictures