997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

TechArt Formula III

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 05:27 PM
mattjtaylor50 is infamous around these parts
TechArt Formula III

Just bought a 2011 C2S White (arrives in 2 wks)
It currently has Turbo II style 19" wheels on it
I am planning to swap out the wheels for black techart's III (have formula IIs on my cayenne turbo)
19's or 20's is the questions?
pros/cons?
need a hand, tx

other mods contemplating: techart lip, side skirts, springs (not sure which brand?), suggestions on exhaust?

Attached Images  
Old 02-24-2012, 05:33 PM
last911 has a spectacular aura aboutlast911 has a spectacular aura about
Bigger wheels weigh more...increase unsprung weight...negative effect on handling. Fewer choices in larger tire size and tire prices are higher.

What's the upside to 20 inch wheels on a sportscar?

Old 02-24-2012, 05:47 PM
agreed on weight etc.. wont be tracking vehicle

aesthetically 20's could look better but i would like to see in person

Old 02-24-2012, 05:51 PM
wingnut2u has a spectacular aura aboutwingnut2u has a spectacular aura about
mine are 20s, look good, ride is a little rough but the streets are pretty smooth here in Dallas, wheels are heavy (boat anchors) but I use different wheels for the track so I really don't care about the weight

Old 02-24-2012, 06:54 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
All I can say about the weight (besides reduced ride quality) is the potential affect on the brake rotors. I had a 06 GTO and put some aftermarket (larger/heavier) wheels on it. Two Months (Count them: One, Two) and the front rotors were so badly warped that it required complete replacement.

Now before we get into a comparison of rotor quality between a Porsche and a GM/Holden, I just wanted to bring that up as a concern. Those heavier wheels will generate more heat from braking, regardless of manufacturer. I think the one big thing in your favor is your location. Something tells me you don't see the 100+ deg days (what is that in Celcius?) that we get down here in Texas, so it might not be as great an impact as it was for me. All I know is that I'll never replace a wheel on any car that weighs MORE than the one I'm starting with.

BTW: I like the clean look that the Techart wheel brings, but can't believe those guys can't make them lighter. To me not worth the trade-off. And I tend to really like the TurboII wheels (had them on my P2S).

Old 02-25-2012, 06:56 AM
ice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dallascajun
All I can say about the weight (besides reduced ride quality) is the potential affect on the brake rotors. I had a 06 GTO and put some aftermarket (larger/heavier) wheels on it. Two Months (Count them: One, Two) and the front rotors were so badly warped that it required complete replacement.

Now before we get into a comparison of rotor quality between a Porsche and a GM/Holden, I just wanted to bring that up as a concern. Those heavier wheels will generate more heat from braking, regardless of manufacturer. I think the one big thing in your favor is your location. Something tells me you don't see the 100+ deg days (what is that in Celcius?) that we get down here in Texas, so it might not be as great an impact as it was for me. All I know is that I'll never replace a wheel on any car that weighs MORE than the one I'm starting with.

BTW: I like the clean look that the Techart wheel brings, but can't believe those guys can't make them lighter. To me not worth the trade-off. And I tend to really like the TurboII wheels (had them on my P2S).
I've been using aftermarket wheels over 25 years and I've never heard of anything like that. If the wheels are responsible that means they didn't fit properly. The blame is not the wheel but the person who put on poor fitting wheels.
We don't blame guns for killing people....we blame the shooter.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:12 PM
helodrvr is infamous around these parts
I was thinking of putting 20" Turbo II's on my '09 C2S. Currently have 19"Carrera S II's. Just bought TechArt front spoiler. Waiting for TechArt sideskirts to come in.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:16 PM
helodrvr is infamous around these parts
Check out Wheel Enhancement as well. They take trades for Porsche OEM wheels.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:26 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mattjtaylor50
Just bought a 2011 C2S White (arrives in 2 wks)
It currently has Turbo II style 19" wheels on it
I am planning to swap out the wheels for black techart's III (have formula IIs on my cayenne turbo)
19's or 20's is the questions?
pros/cons?
need a hand, tx

other mods contemplating: techart lip, side skirts, springs (not sure which brand?), suggestions on exhaust?
Techarts are notoriously heavy + 20's always make the rotors look too small.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:28 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ice350
I've been using aftermarket wheels over 25 years and I've never heard of anything like that. If the wheels are responsible that means they didn't fit properly. The blame is not the wheel but the person who put on poor fitting wheels.
We don't blame guns for killing people....we blame the shooter.
That's not what I said.

I didn't blame the fact that they were aftermarket, I blamed the fact that they were heavier, big difference. Most aftermarket wheels that we consider for these cars are the same or better quality than the OEM ones. But if they weigh more, then you start to introduce potential issues with braking and handling.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:55 PM
ice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dallascajun
That's not what I said.

I didn't blame the fact that they were aftermarket, I blamed the fact that they were heavier, big difference. Most aftermarket wheels that we consider for these cars are the same or better quality than the OEM ones. But if they weigh more, then you start to introduce potential issues with braking and handling.
Wheels that fit properly should not cause rotor problems regardless of their weight. The rotor issues would have to be caused by wheels not turning straight. There would be some wobble. Look at the old days of oem wheels weighing 35-50 lbs. No problem with brakes or any other issue.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:38 PM
K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ice350
Wheels that fit properly should not cause rotor problems regardless of their weight. The rotor issues would have to be caused by wheels not turning straight. There would be some wobble. Look at the old days of oem wheels weighing 35-50 lbs. No problem with brakes or any other issue.
That sounds more like the problem. The wheels might be out of round or not properly balanced and that could kill your rotors.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:14 PM
MBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by wingnut2u
mine are 20s, look good, ride is a little rough but the streets are pretty smooth here in Dallas, wheels are heavy (boat anchors) but I use different wheels for the track so I really don't care about the weight
Exactly this. 20" are much eye pleasing to me.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:01 AM
Banned
BMWm1 is infamous around these parts
I run 19"s and like the tire selection available, it seems to have just enough sidewall. (personal peace of mind) Honestly I say wait till you see the car in person, drive it for a week or so... then pull the trigger.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:48 AM
agreed tx for suggestions everyone - i actually like the look of the turbo IIs
might lower it and get spacers for time being + front lip & skirt
leaning towards 19s if i do upgrade to aftermarket at some point

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: TechArt Formula III