997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997.2 headlights don't turn off!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 12:33 PM
blazinginder is on a distinguished road
Question 997.2 headlights don't turn off!!!

Hey guys, Im kind of new to this forum...just picked up an 09 C4S CPO with he dynamic headlights and am having issues with the headlights.

When the engine is on the headlights stay on (regardless of the **** setting) and don't turn off. I want only the DRLs to stay on during the day and not the main headlights. I went into the instrument cluster and tried selecting and unselecting the daytime light option and nothing still happens!

Have any of you guys faced this same problem / know how I can get my headlights to be off while driving??

Thanks so much in advance!

Old 03-15-2012, 01:08 PM
Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !
not sure about 997.2 but in .1 there is a setting in PCM for DRLs (which use headlights for DRLs as separate DRLs were not available). Have you looked there? Think it's under individual/memory settings.

Good luck

Old 03-15-2012, 01:19 PM
Burg Boxster - thanks for the suggestion, not sure if I have that same option in the .2, but will see when I get home...I'm thinking I my just reset everything to factory by clicking the reset option in the instrument cluster and see if that works first

Old 03-15-2012, 01:43 PM
strife_wy has a spectacular aura aboutstrife_wy has a spectacular aura about
Sounds like you have DRL's enabled in the PCM.

DRL in a pcar = Low beams on 100% of the time.

*edit - this is for 997.1s and not applicable to 997.2s

Last edited by strife_wy; 03-15-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:52 PM
Strife -the 09s have the LED strip in the bumper which are the DRLs, so I would think the low beam should stay off when it's just DRLs

Just want to clarify that when you guys are referring to PCM you mean the menu thing in the instrument cluster under the RPM gauge? (dumb question I know)

Old 03-15-2012, 02:01 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
PCM is the nav/radio/etc in the center console.

on the 997.1 (.2 should be similar), u have to push the left button (left of the audio button - i am not at home and i forget the name of the button.. but i think its the 'main' button)

then push the 'set' button which is along the right side.

from there u should be able to access the DRL menu.

but i also thought DRL on the 997.2 was the LED strip.. and not the lowbeam..

if the above does not work, u might have to take it to the dealer for re-programming..

BOL

Old 03-15-2012, 02:04 PM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by strife_wy
Sounds like you have DRL's enabled in the PCM.

DRL in a pcar = Low beams on 100% of the time.
Not in a 997.2

Old 03-15-2012, 03:13 PM
strife_wy has a spectacular aura aboutstrife_wy has a spectacular aura about
Yup, I stand corrected. Missed the giant "997.2" reference in the subject line.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:18 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
I also have a 997.2 and thought my drls are always on. started car in garage and with light switch off, no drls or any lights are on. Put the light to parking or headlights and drls(lower leds) are on and then also on with headlights... Is this correct??? Not wanting to highjacket so lets not forget the OP.

Last edited by cerbomark; 03-15-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:19 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by blazinginder
Strife -the 09s have the LED strip in the bumper which are the DRLs, so I would think the low beam should stay off when it's just DRLs

Just want to clarify that when you guys are referring to PCM you mean the menu thing in the instrument cluster under the RPM gauge? (dumb question I know)
PCM = big cluster in the middle for nav, audio, etc. The menu thing under the tach is called OBC (on board computer).

Old 03-15-2012, 05:04 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cerbomark
I also have a 997.2 and thought my drls are always on. started car in garage and with light switch off, no drls or any lights are on. Put the light to parking or headlights and drls(lower leds) are on and then also on with headlights... Is this correct??? Not wanting to highjacket so lets not forget the OP.
I figuired mine out,, the drl setting was off.

OP / Could your highbeams be on????

Old 03-15-2012, 05:07 PM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
Does anybody ever read the 'Owner's Manual' anymore?

It's been my experience that German car control electronics are simply not intuitive like, let's say, cars from Asia or the US for that matter. Ya I know thumbing through the manual is not a lot of fun but it can be educational and rewarding at times.

I usually take mine w/ me into the crapper and do some serious reading.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by AP 997S
Does anybody ever read the 'Owner's Manual' anymore?

It's been my experience that German car control electronics are simply not intuitive like, let's say, cars from Asia or the US for that matter. Ya I know thumbing through the manual is not a lot of fun but it can be educational and rewarding at times.

I usually take mine w/ me into the crapper and do some serious reading.
You are 100% right... That s how I finally got mine right.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:11 PM
Tried that PCM and the owners manual etc. none of it works and the high beams are not on....

Got an email from the dealer which I bought it from stating the following: "I found out it has to be done through service computer, if you can't change it via the cluster. Come by here or a local dealer so the setting can be changed."

Anyone heard of this having to be changed through the "service computer"?

Old 03-15-2012, 08:52 PM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
It refers to the Porsche Integrated Workshop Information System (PIWIS) which is the Porsche computer tool for monitoring, interrogating and changing electronic parameters via the OBD port.

Possibly the new Durametric (aftermarket OBDII tool) software can make those changes as well.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.2 headlights don't turn off!!!