997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Smoke?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 06:52 PM
TT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really nice
Smoke?

We took our 06 C2S cab to the Pikes Peak International Raceway track last weekend for my wife to drive in several PDX events. While we were there, we were fortunate to be introduced to a professional race driver. I asked him to take the Porsche around the track to show me what it was really capable of in trained hands. It was amazing, he ran several of the fastest laps of the day for the track even though there were many other purpose built race cars there.

After his run we parked the car, had lunch, and after about a 2 hour down period my wife started it up to run her event. We got a big puff of blue smoke out of each side of the exhaust. The car has 21K miles on it and has never smoked or used oil before now. It only puffed on start up and ran clean through the balance of her PDX run. It was then parked for the night. The next morning, an even bigger puff of blue smoke on start up that cleared right up. She ran several more easy PDX events through out the day and it didn't smoke any more upon start up, while running, etc. It's now been almost a week since then, still no smoke and we drive it every day.

Any ideas what could have caused this? At first I thought we may have hurt the motor, but I watched the gauges through the entire run and he always shifted just before 7K, never down shifted in a way that caused over revs, and the water temp never went above 175. The motor runs fine and sounds the same.

Is it possible that due to the extreme G forces he was causing, that oil got sloshed somewhere it normally doesn't go and eventually just burned off since we weren't driving any where near as hard?

Old 04-04-2012, 07:00 PM
Boosted Josh is on a distinguished road
Air oil seperator going bad maybe?

Old 04-04-2012, 07:32 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT2911
We took our 06 C2S cab to the Pikes Peak International Raceway track last weekend for my wife to drive in several PDX events. While we were there, we were fortunate to be introduced to a professional race driver. I asked him to take the Porsche around the track to show me what it was really capable of in trained hands. It was amazing, he ran several of the fastest laps of the day for the track even though there were many other purpose built race cars there.

After his run we parked the car, had lunch, and after about a 2 hour down period my wife started it up to run her event. We got a big puff of blue smoke out of each side of the exhaust. The car has 21K miles on it and has never smoked or used oil before now. It only puffed on start up and ran clean through the balance of her PDX run. It was then parked for the night. The next morning, an even bigger puff of blue smoke on start up that cleared right up. She ran several more easy PDX events through out the day and it didn't smoke any more upon start up, while running, etc. It's now been almost a week since then, still no smoke and we drive it every day.

Any ideas what could have caused this? At first I thought we may have hurt the motor, but I watched the gauges through the entire run and he always shifted just before 7K, never down shifted in a way that caused over revs, and the water temp never went above 175. The motor runs fine and sounds the same.

Is it possible that due to the extreme G forces he was causing, that oil got sloshed somewhere it normally doesn't go and eventually just burned off since we weren't driving any where near as hard?
You can find lots of posts about smoke on startup. Very typical of the boxer engine, happens in the Suburus too.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:33 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
after you ran car very hot - let it run on idle a bit to cool down before shutting it.
puffs of smoke for 3-5 sec are ok. puffing smoke for several minutes or puffing smoke while running on a track is not ok.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:25 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Just a thought: The banking on PPIR is significant and in the hands of a capable driver, you probably had oil "sloshing around" (that's a technical term) in unusual places or in unusual quantities due to high g-loads. It's probably nothing to worry about since the problem seems to be transitory. The smoke was probably some residual oil that needed to be burned off. But, monitor the situation for awhile and if symptoms get worse get it in to someone qualified to check it out. It would be unusual for a 911 to have oil starvation problems but anything is possible. Sounds like you had a good time! We're you on the "Roval" or beating feet strictly on the banking? Best,

Old 04-05-2012, 08:30 AM
TT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really nice
Originally Posted by Steamboat
Just a thought: The banking on PPIR is significant and in the hands of a capable driver, you probably had oil "sloshing around" (that's a technical term) in unusual places or in unusual quantities due to high g-loads. It's probably nothing to worry about since the problem seems to be transitory. We're you on the "Roval" or beating feet strictly on the banking? Best,
Thats what I'm thinking too. I'll monitor oil consumption and watch it closely next time at the track.

They had it set up in the ROVAL configuration, which is a lot of fun. You get the high speed banked oval down the back straight and through turns 1 & 2, then into the road course. It sure is hard on right front tires though.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:10 AM
KIRKIN is a name known to allKIRKIN is a name known to allKIRKIN is a name known to allKIRKIN is a name known to allKIRKIN is a name known to allKIRKIN is a name known to all
My 2011 4s did that a couple of weeks ago on start up with 4000 miles on it .
Has not done it since .
Not worried here .

Old 04-05-2012, 10:41 AM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Steamboat
Just a thought: The banking on PPIR is significant and in the hands of a capable driver, you probably had oil "sloshing around" (that's a technical term) in unusual places or in unusual quantities due to high g-loads.
Seen this before.