997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

HELP! 997 LED Tail Lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 04:00 PM
jlm7579 will become famous soon enough
HELP! 997 LED Tail Lights

Hello All,
I am a new member, and this is my first post looking for help. I have a 06 4S, and bought some LED tail lights off of Ebay. I installed them today, and it went pretty easy. However when I turn on the lights, the rear FOG stays on which it is suppose to do, with the stock oem bulb in the socket. They tell you to install it this way, but it will have a continous clear light staying on in the rear. On the stock oem tail light lens, the fog light socket goes into the red lens, and stays on continously. On the new LED lens, the fog bulb plugs into a clear part of the lens. Has any one run in to this problem, and if so how did you correct it?

Old 05-24-2012, 04:25 PM
dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jlm7579
Hello All,
On the stock oem tail light lens, the fog light socket goes into the red lens, and stays on continously. On the new LED lens, the fog bulb plugs into a clear part of the lens.
This is not correct. The fog light is NOT supposed to stay on in the red lens or the white lens. The Fog light is activated by pulling the rotary light switch out one or two notches (front fogs if you have them, and rear) and you are supposed to get a green light on the tacho for the front and an amber for the rear fog lights. If this has been pulled unintentionally and you are seeing these two lights on your dash, push the switch back in.

To operate the rear for with your new leds, you need to replace the bulb with a red one, which you can get on ebay for a few bucks, or in an automotive store. Ray, the vendor who sold these here had posted a picture. Note the post location to identify the bulb when you buy it, and which leg to "liquid tape" in relation to the high and low post of the bulb in the picture. Its very easy.
HERE

Old 05-24-2012, 04:41 PM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
If I recall my Dectane's are all LED (brake, signal, backup & fog). I guess the early version lights were a combination of filament & LED lamps.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:46 PM
dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !
There were two types. Known as the Rottec's from Ray the vendor who did the first group buy an the Dectanes. Had both.
The Rottec's had just the fog lamp as a filament. The rest was led too.

ROTECs

Dectanes

Dectanes vs Stock

Last edited by dianic; 05-24-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:49 PM
DirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud of
Do you know which LEDs you have?

Old 05-24-2012, 04:57 PM
Thanks Dianic,
Much better instructions then I got with my package. Can you tell if I would get an error code if I left the Fog bullb out? Or do you suggest placing a red bulb in?

Old 05-24-2012, 05:01 PM
You will get no error if you don't pull the switch. If you do, by mistake, you will get it as the car will think the missing bulb is a burnt bulb.
I would get the red. The white looks like reverse and could be too bright for people behind you. The fog light is supposed to be a safety item so it should be a no brainer when you need it.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:02 PM
Dirty Vegas,
No I do not, I bought them off ebay from a vendor GTRacer. I am sure they are made in Taiwan.Everything works great, except the issue with the fog lamp staying on.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:06 PM
Wait. Your switch is off and the fog is on? You may have connected them wrong and you have the driving light to the fog. Check the diagram I posted. The placement is not like the factory. The extreme left wire in the factory harness goes to the extreme right or something. It's not a spot for spot instal of the wires.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:45 PM
Dianic,Yes the fog lamp is not pulled out on the dash. The stock oem bulb is a dual filament bulb. In the stock lens its red and the comes on when I turn the tail lights and head lights on. When I pull the switch on the dash to turn them on it gets brighter.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:00 AM
Its been a while and details slip my mind.
Here is the deal. The double filament bulb for the fog should be modded so only the second filament lights when you pull the switch. This means that the permanent "on" needs to be insulated. Hence the need for liquid tape mentioned in the instructions thread.
You can do it with regular insulating tape, note the picture of the red bulb (could be white too but not recommended as I said because it looks too bright and could be mistaken for reverse). You cover the leg to the left, with the high post of the lamp on top. Note the picture very carefully and look at your bulb and you will see what I mean.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:17 AM
Dianic,
Just wanted to say thanks for all the info. I spoke with Ray and ordered the red bulbs. I bought the front LED running lights from him to. Once I install all the items, I will post a few pictures. Thanks again all!

Old 06-02-2012, 08:20 AM
ArainLA has a spectacular aura aboutArainLA has a spectacular aura aboutArainLA has a spectacular aura about
I had same issue. Electrical tape on one of those connectors on bottom of light worked for me. I didn't change to red bulb since we never get fog in LA to the point of needing rear fog.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:24 PM
Tarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond repute
i just took out those 2 fog light bulbs..didn't put anything there- is that ok?

Old 11-02-2012, 05:54 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tarek307
i just took out those 2 fog light bulbs..didn't put anything there- is that ok?
If you have fog light bulb sounds like you have the "ROTEC" version. IIRC, you'll get an error message if you turn the rear fog light on (there is only one - driver's side) and then the only way to get the message to go away is to reinstall the bulb and activate the fogs again. The Dectane/DEPO led's don't have bulbs to install.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HELP! 997 LED Tail Lights