997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Best Mod - Track Time & Instruction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 04:09 PM
gonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond repute
Best Mod - Track Time & Instruction

For the first time in a year of owning the Carrera I finally got to spend some track time and instruction - find the line - I'm hooked!

As a PCA Member for the Longhorn Region (South Texas) I participated in a 5-hour track day yesterday. It was planned as an instructional event with 4 groups, each having a leader. I got to run with a pack of variety of classic to new, full race prep (not in my group) to fully stock.

The event was held at Harris Hill in San Marcos, TX. The course is 1.82 miles, 11 turns, 150' elevation change. We ran the course clockwise, then counter-clockwise. The latter was really something else and I enjoyed what was turn 2 clockwise in the opposite - sort of like a corkscrew.

I'm a true beginner but by the end of the session I began to realize how I could push the car and how it handled. I'm really pleased I added the coil overs and the Sport Mode software recently installed really came in helpful.

A few pictures of the event. I CAN'T WAIT TO DO THIS AGAIN. Next up is a PCA sponsored auto cross later this month.

Tech Inspection - I just had the brake fluid flushed and new pads earlier in the week.

BEAST - Turbo S

Not a replica

Old 06-03-2012, 04:23 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
You have officially started down a slippery slope

Old 06-03-2012, 04:37 PM
gonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond repute
I think you're right. So much fun though!

I kept my 18" Carrera wheels and I'm going to buy some track tires for them.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:29 PM
DMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by gonz996
I think you're right. So much fun though!

I kept my 18" Carrera wheels and I'm going to buy some track tires for them.
And there's that slope starting. If you're thinking about R-comp tires: Michelin Sport Cups, Toyo R-888s, Nitto NT-01s or anything of that sort, understand that your car can't really take advantage of them. You need more negative camber in your suspension that stock parts will allow. Before long you'll be looking at lower control arms (LCAs) from a GT3 or RSS; new sway bars, coilovers, etc etc.

To avoid that long slide, although I've been tracking my cars for a couple of years now (first an '09 C2S, now an '11 GTS) I've left everything completely stock, except for adjusting the camber within the limits possible with stock parts. The car is still faster than me so Ii don't realliy feel I'm losing out on anything.

HAVE FUN!

DMoore
'11 GTS
'10 Panamera 4S

Old 06-03-2012, 08:59 PM
Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !
Beautiful pics, especially the carrera RS with the duck tail.

I am a sucker for it.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:01 AM
I understand the slippery slope. Although not track related, my prior car definitely fell into the "slippery slope" with heavy mods.

In this case, I kept the 18" wheels so I wouldn't wear out the 19" rubber especially with auto-crossing, which isn't also going to be a heavy-duty thing. I did have installed coil overs but after buying H&R springs (never installed them) I thought about the miles on the car and figured that would be a mistake on the stock dampers, so I sold them and bought the H&R coil overs instead. They're for the most part street coil overs given they're not adjustable other than height.

Overall, I like learning more about how to drive this car and its limitations than anything else. Like you (although not a GTS), this car is "still faster than me" or rather my skills.

Thanks for the input.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:04 AM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
I've been wanting to do this, but I thought I would eat through my tores on a track. Is my worry a reality or misconception?

Old 06-04-2012, 09:23 AM
I don't think the occasional event would eat through them, but of course every time we drive our cars we wear on the tires, especially the rears on the 911. I'm sure they wore especially as the day went on and I felt more comfortable handling the apex and "finding the line". It was really terrific having an experienced leader who was also driving a Carrera which gave me more confidence seeing what his car was doing and what line was being followed.

As referenced above, this course was 1.82 miles and it had 11 turns, most which were pretty fast. The car handled really well. Being new to this I was told I'd be tired at the end of the event. I actually felt pretty well, but after the adrenalin wore off I think I felt the effects of the lateral Gs I experienced as I grew more comfortable with driving. The event was 5 hours and I was probably on the track 75% of that time.

If you haven't done it before I can't recommend it enough. It was done in a very safe (or as much as one can) manner. There was a drivers meeting before to discuss the track, what we would be doing, and not doing. Quite honestly, during the drivers meeting I thought it would be kind of boring, but once on the track and following the leader, I realized this was no slow poke event. I just kept focus on following the leader and the pack. If you haven't joined the PCA I would do so. Great fun!

Old 06-04-2012, 09:32 AM
Thanks. The RS was pretty fast on the track as well - you also gotta love that air-cooled sound. What a machine. I think the owner said it weighed well under under 2k.

Originally Posted by Inglorious
Beautiful pics, especially the carrera RS with the duck tail.

I am a sucker for it.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:50 AM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
Harris Hill is very fun to drive. Was one of the club owners there driving his Audi station wagon? He is super fast in that thing!!

Old 06-04-2012, 12:03 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
I'll have to go as a spectator to one in my area and then let peer pressure run its course.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:09 PM
I think there was an Audi wagon there but it wasn't tracking.

As a former Audi owner as well (always loved the S4 Avant and Sedans 2.7T) they're formidable and well-handling machines.

I was looking at the track record and I noted for 4 wheels a 993 (RS?) owns it. I can't wait to go back there again. I have several friends who track their M3s there and on occasion I've been invited, up until last Saturday I've never done it. That'll change now. So much fun.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:10 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
first DE is always the best. a lot of learning and fun. congrats and keep the sunny side up. that track looks very interesting.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:37 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by DoninDEN
I've been wanting to do this, but I thought I would eat through my tores on a track. Is my worry a reality or misconception?
The Targa 4S is a very underrated track car - go for it! The wear on your tires from 1 or 2 events in the Green run group will be fairly minor.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:28 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Gonz...WELCOME! LOL

Don't go get R-Comp tires until you are signed off to solo and you do adjustable lower control arms so you can get around -2.5 degrees of camber in front. Your rear will easily go to -2 camber.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best Mod - Track Time & Instruction