997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

service at 15K

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 11:04 AM
dethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud of
service at 15K

i purchased my 997.2 at 11K miles and now at 14.5K i am getting a notice on the dash that service is due in 20 days. i looked at the manual, i'm not sure which service it is due for. the car is 2.5 yrs old.

the manual says intermediate maintenance at 20K and full maintenance at 40K. also i oil changes at 10K? i don't have the old maintenance records.

just trying to figure it out before i take it to a dealer if it's just an oil change or if it will be a major service.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:44 PM
tiyyara will become famous soon enough
The dealer will get you a major service more $$$$$$
:-)
No redords, I would do oil change now and then at 20 K; do minor service (w premature oil change)
Also some of the services are "age based", like brake fluid flush every 2 years, so you might get that with the oil change now

Old 06-05-2012, 01:51 PM
daberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to behold
Greetings -

As I'm sure you know, the service light indicator is nothing more than a dummy light that goes off after a pre-established time period. It is reset during a service appointment and it is intended to 'remind' you to bring your car in for service. It has no more intelligence than that.

You say in your message, you don't have any old maintenance records. Do you at least know if the car had an oil change when you purchased it? If not, then assume that it didn't and have the oil changed.

As far as which service, I'd recommend you have the 20K service done, which is a regular service including oil, cabin and air filters. It'll check your brakes and other fluid levels. For a car with 14.5K miles, that's all you'll need.

Good luck.

David

Old 06-05-2012, 02:58 PM
stevefrommn has a spectacular aura aboutstevefrommn has a spectacular aura aboutstevefrommn has a spectacular aura about
My service light when on and says service in 14 days. Car is 997.2 2012 with 3400 miles
got it new in Nov 2011. Dealer said they got the car in June hence 1 year has passed. Car only had 200 miles on it when I bought it. They wanted money to reset it. I already changed oil at 2000 miles. I told them forget it I would reset it myself.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:01 PM
spyerx is a jewel in the roughspyerx is a jewel in the roughspyerx is a jewel in the rough
example on my car: It had the 20k / 2 year service done when I got the car in Nov as a CPO with 15k miles, car was just over 2 years old then. So the next maint is basically an oil change at 3 years or around 25k miles (which I won't be at).

The 4 year/40k service is a little more major... and $.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:27 PM
daberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by stevefrommn
My service light when on and says service in 14 days. Car is 997.2 2012 with 3400 miles
got it new in Nov 2011. Dealer said they got the car in June hence 1 year has passed. Car only had 200 miles on it when I bought it. They wanted money to reset it. I already changed oil at 2000 miles. I told them forget it I would reset it myself.

Hold on. You bought a car brand new from this same Porsche Dealer seven months ago, and upon returning with 3400 miles on it, instead of simply resetting the service light as a show of good customer service, they wanted to charge you for it? You have to be kidding me. I would have invited the Sales and Service Manager to a private meeting and FREAKED out at them. THIS is what aggravates me to no end about the arrogance of new car dealerships (this isn't unique to Porsche..). This is straight up gouging from the very people you're meant to make happy!

Now, on the other hand, I did NOT buy my car from Auto Gallery here in Los Angeles. I bought it on the internet from out of state. Not only has Auto Gallery bent over backwards by giving me details of the car before I bought it, but they've invited me to 'meet and greet' my technician with a free 30 minute review with the car on a lift so I could ask any question I wanted. To top it off, I was most impressed because they also got their detailer to remove both of my old stone guards and replaced them for free. I only paid the PCA member discounted cost of the two parts.

Treat a customer with appreciation and they will come back over and over. Treat them like they are insignificant, then you've lost their business. Simple as that.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:56 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
Can t argue with that IMO. Well said.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:13 PM
stevefrommn has a spectacular aura aboutstevefrommn has a spectacular aura aboutstevefrommn has a spectacular aura about
Oh well I wanted to get a durametric anyway. At some point it is just not worth getting all worked up. They are all just a bunch of pirates. I will pay them for probably one service just to make sure warranty is in place. After that I do everything myself. When it comes to working on cars I only trust me.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:11 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
My dealership only does what is necessary. They always give me a printout and generally let me know - everything's fine you don't need anything but an oil change...

Old 06-06-2012, 09:39 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
at 15k and 2.5 years, you are due for the first service.

oil and oil filter
cabin filter
brake flush (every 2 years)
inspection of brake, tires, leaks, belt

the cabin filter is easy to do, takes less than 5 mins without any tool
i would shop around on where you take it to. the job is real easy and shouldn't cost you more than $400.

when choosing a shop, look for reputation, quality of the repair and honesty. price alone doesn't mean everything since many shops lie about what was done or not done, charge for things that aren't needed (mis diagnosis) or unable to resolve issues. usually these shops are very corporate and purely profit driven instead of personal.