997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997.1 Halogen to Bi-Xenon conversion?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 02:46 PM
Duckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Dennis C
You can purchase HID bulbs in different color temperatures. The OE bulbs are 4,300K, which mimics natural sunlight when projected from your headlight. I agree that the whiter and bluer lights reduce visibility. Have you considered an HID bulb in a 3,200K color?

Hmmm,.. not until now. Thanks for the info.

3,200 might be nice,.. or even 3,400 or 3,800.

Most lighting types that aren't incandescent or Halogen produce a horrible light spectrum. (LED and CFL for instance) where the spread looks like 3-4 large spikes,.. with nothing in-between. You can't rectify that by changing to a different "average" color temp.

Even though the mean color temp may be 3,000k or whatever,.. that might in actuality consist of a high, thin spike at 7,000k,.. and a gentle hump at 2,200k,.... and nothing in-between.

LED is a technology that simply isn't ready for prime time. Perhaps given another 30 years?

But Xenon produces a very even-spectrum light,.. so simply changing bulbs (and adjusting the lights up a tad) may get me to where the car can safely be driven at speed at night.

These cars are so effortlessly fast,.. that great lighting is paramount.

Old 02-26-2016, 03:04 PM
Duckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud of
I just did a search on Phillips' site,.. and they only offer the D1S type bulb in the 4,200k color.

They produce other Xenon bulbs,.. (D2R, D4, etc,.. but they are also all 4,200k.

You have to be VERY careful when swapping out bulb types,.. as any change in the length and positioning of the light source can have catastrophic effects on the beam projection.

Most of their light-bulb types are a touch fatter, and don't project out nearly as far from the base as the D1S.

Old 02-26-2016, 03:19 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Too bad that they aren't offered in lower color temperature. I thought I had seen them before.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:01 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I did a little searching for D1S bulbs and I found some other color temperatures. VisionPro offers a 3,000K bulb. That may be a bit too yellow for you, but it you're looking to maximize visibility (especially in poor weather conditions) then it may not.

Amazon.com: VisionPro© Gen II Series D1S 3000k Yellow HID Replacement Bulbs: Automotive Amazon.com: VisionPro© Gen II Series D1S 3000k Yellow HID Replacement Bulbs: Automotive

I haven't had any luck finding a 3,400K D1S bulb. Maybe there's one out there somewhere....

Old 02-27-2016, 02:40 PM
OKB
OKB will become famous soon enough
All of the bulb types are available in almost any temp, look on ebay or any lighting store, hidextra.com, jdmtoys.com etc
theres not much reason for low temp colors so nobody makes them

Old 02-27-2016, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by OKB
All of the bulb types are available in almost any temp, look on ebay or any lighting store, hidextra.com, jdmtoys.com etc
theres not much reason for low temp colors so nobody makes them
The reason is better visibility. Blue and white lights look cool, but they suck for visibility.

Old 02-28-2016, 12:13 AM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
If you're talking about converting 997.1 headlights to 997.2 headlights, I'm pretty sure no one has ever done this with the self-leveling and DCL working. There have been threads about this in the 997 turbo forum, and I've done the swap myself. The lights work, nothing else. Have you tried?

Originally Posted by aproo
It is possible but a lot of work is required. What you need is a really good mechanic who is well versed in electrical engineering. It is not a simple plug & play job.

You will only need to purchase the bi-xenon assembly. However, you do not need the ballast as it is swappable (if your 997.1 car has ballast already). Your mechanic needs to make a new pin-out (the new assembly uses 3-pin while the 997.1 uses 2-pin). In addition, you will just need to transfer your 997.1 light leveling mechanism to the new headlight assembly or else you will get error code. This is all the easy part. This step will get your 997.2 headlight to work just like your 997.1.

The hard part is getting the Dynamic Concerning Lights ("DCL") to work. You will need to purchase the new 997.2 front wiring harness and also the DCL control module to work. If your mechanic has time, he can come up with a wiring harness pin by looking at the DCL control module. After which, you will need to do the coding to tell the car you have DCL function.

So all in all its quite a big job. Easily a $3.5K job excluding labor charges.

Good luck with the project..!

Old 03-11-2021, 07:14 PM
Tony Thanh Nguyen is an unknown quantity at this point
987.1 halogen to 987.1 xenon

Originally Posted by lacrosse
I have a similar interest in going from 997.1 halogens to 997.1 bi-xenons......but not for $3.5K.
Did you ever got an answer for you being able to put in the 987.1 xenon component onto the 987.1 halogen headlights to have 987.1 xenon.