997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Modulare B18 19" on 2011 GTS - Centerlock!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 11:45 AM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Modulare B18 19" on 2011 GTS - Centerlock!!!

A few of you might remember that one of the few things that I didn't like about my GTS was the fact that the wheels sat too far inside, and the center locks eliminated the potential for spacers to alleviate the problem. Well, I finally decided to buck up and simply replace the wheels, particularly once my Assistant Owner (wife - old A-Rod joke) gave her stamp of approval.

My intentions were to reduce offset by 15+mm in rear and 5-7mm in the front (pushing the wheels out). After a lot of emails, inquiries and assistance from various forum partners, I decided to go with Peter Lee at Wheel Experts for a set of Modulare B18s. I haven't seen a single instance where these wheels didn't look freakin perfect. The Dallas Porsche dealerships also always have some good examples of Modulares on dealer cars and every one has looked great, from 911s to Panameras to Cayennes. I wanted a relatively OEM look, but with a special touch, and the B18s in Anthracite did the trick for my Platinum Silver GTS.

I also wanted to maintain factory wheel sizes, just different offsets. So, these wheels are 8.5x19 ET39 and 11x19 ET35. This equates to 17mm reduced offset in front and rear, so the fronts are REALLY aggressive, but it was needed due to engineering tolerances. And I tell you what...it looks STRONG. I chose an Anthracite painted finish to maintain a contrast between the light colored exterior while not 'hiding' the shape of the wheel with another all-black application. An added bonus is that the color nearly matches the factory center lock nut, so it really looks clean.

I know a few will say my car needs a drop, and I'm considering it. But my driveway has an aggressive entrance which I already scrape now and then, so we'll see.

Hopefully better pics to come, but these are what I could get with my new phone for now. I need to take better pics and find an image hosting service that will give me links for the full resolution, not these smaller images.

Many thanks to Peter at Wheel Experts for his fantastic service during this process from the ordering, updates and delivery to the dealership. I'd also like to thank Isaac and John at Boardwalk Porsche for their excellent service with the installation of the new wheels and rear tires (the originals were shot).

From my perspective, I just bought a brand new car for only the price of the wheels. There was actually a crowd of customers gathering around my car after it was complete and in the service bay....and I ate it up.

Now the OEM Spyders are going to be cleaned up, packaged and put on eBay, Marketplace or sit in the attic for a while...

Old 07-14-2012, 03:12 PM
DCI
DCI will become famous soon enough
Car looks great! I'm in the same boat, after lowering my GTS the wheels look like they set in even further.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:46 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
I bet. I'm completely on the fence about lowering. I know it would look a little better, but will cause scraping issues and in worried about camber changes affecting tire wear as well.

But with both fronts and rears sitting 17mm further out, there's no issues with them sitting too far inside. The fronts are so wide that I could add the RS Wheel Arch Extensions if I want, but then the fronts wouldn't have the aggressive look I want.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:20 PM
GS997 will become famous soon enough
You gotta take some pics from the rear

Old 07-14-2012, 06:39 PM
I took a couple, but not sure they really show the added width to the stance. I'm going to try to get a couple of more shots tomorrow evening before I head out of town for the week. I need to get some from the rear, but at a slight angle to see down the side of the car.

Attached Images   
Old 07-15-2012, 09:24 AM
DCI
DCI will become famous soon enough
Can you take some shots of the fronts too. I was thinking 15-17mm in the rear and 5-7 in the front, was that an option? Did the wheel require you to go 15mm in the front?

Old 07-15-2012, 05:40 PM
I originally planned on 5-7mm up front, but engineering required 17mm (39mm offset from 56mm stock wheel) to insure strength required for centerlock application. Apparently the 20in wheel could go down to 7mm less offset (49mm offset) due to increased material on 20in wheel.

Sorry, no more pics available for a week as I'm travelling. I chose to have more aggressive front offset with 19in wheel instead of moving to a 20in design.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:54 AM
drloman is on a distinguished road
Help with my GTS wheel decision

In the learning stages of aftermarket upgrades myself. Have a white 2012 C4GTS with black center locks and was looking for spacers and or new wheels....only to find out spacers ain't happening.

So I'm interested in what you think now, a few years after you put on those wheels with aggressive offsets....would you do it again?

Old 04-16-2015, 12:34 PM
Any regrets?

Going thru a new wheels thing myself for my 2012 C4GTS....

Old 04-16-2015, 07:41 PM
sandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by drloman
In the learning stages of aftermarket upgrades myself. Have a white 2012 C4GTS with black center locks and was looking for spacers and or new wheels....only to find out spacers ain't happening.

So I'm interested in what you think now, a few years after you put on those wheels with aggressive offsets....would you do it again?
I have the same thing, just different wheels. Would absolutely do it again. Once you see the car set up with the wheels flush with the fenders you don't want it any other way. It does need to be lowered though to pull it all together.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:05 AM
Pics of yours?

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I have the same thing, just different wheels. Would absolutely do it again. Once you see the car set up with the wheels flush with the fenders you don't want it any other way. It does need to be lowered though to pull it all together.
-------
Sand--any pics of your set up? Does it have to be lowered more than the 2cm that came on mine stock?

Old 04-17-2015, 12:23 PM
sandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud of
-------
Sand--any pics of your set up? Does it have to be lowered more than the 2cm that came on mine stock?
First picture is with H&R springs so a 1.25" drop. Second with Eibach springs which is a little less at 1". If I did it again I'd probably pull the rears out another 2 or 3mm.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	997 GTS 34 front.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	3.30 MB
ID:	418506  
Attached Images  
Old 04-17-2015, 09:46 PM
Nice set up. Gorgeous car. Are they titanium color? And are they matte, gloss? I'd like to replicate that color....

Sent from my iPhone using 6SpeedOnline

Old 04-17-2015, 09:49 PM
And what wheel model is that?

Old 04-18-2015, 07:38 PM
Nice set up. Gorgeous car. Are they titanium color? And are they matte, gloss? I'd like to replicate that color....

And what wheel model is that?

Forgeline GA1R wheels. They call that color "midnight silver". Sort of a blend between silver and black in gloss. I think titanium has more grey in it. So you know in case you check out their website http://www.forgeline.com/ , the pictures they have of midnight silver wheels are not that great. Too much silver. They're darker than that and to my eyes, either of pictures I posted yesterday is a better representation of what they really look like.

Last edited by sandwedge; 04-18-2015 at 07:43 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Modulare B18 19" on 2011 GTS - Centerlock!!!