997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Extended crank. Is it normal startup for a 2008 Carrera 4S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 06:18 PM
akacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to behold
Extended crank. Is it normal startup for a 2008 Carrera 4S

Picked up the car from the dealer yesterday and when I got back in to drive it today I had an almost failed start and then later a failed start. Unfortunately I didn't think to get the failed start on video but this is about 20 min later after I got home. I had the car at the dealer 3 times over the past 2.5 years and they keep saying that they fixed it but when I get back in it does it again.

So far they have fixed a loose fuel pump, loose ground wire, filled battery with acid, tested voltage...

Here is the video:

Old 08-24-2012, 06:37 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
No it is not. It should fire up in 1-2 seconds at the most. How old is your battery and what is the brand / cranking amps?? Is the engine cranking slowly, or does is seem to "bog down" over a few seconds cranking? Does the starter turn /cranks the engine solid and "powerful / hard" ?? Did you test your battery and check voltage drop during cranking?? Any smells?? If your battery is 2 years old or more, the first thing I would do is to change it for a NON OEM ( ie not a Porsche) battery.

Last edited by hroussard; 08-24-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:00 PM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
Since you're a 2008 MY you can most likely rule out the alternator/starter harness assembly. I believe that was an issue on 2005 and early 2006 MYs. Are you on your original battery? If so, you might consider replacing it w/ an new one (Interstate seems to be a popular replacement)

Old 08-24-2012, 08:57 PM
akacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by hroussard
No it is not. It should fire up in 1-2 seconds at the most. How old is your battery and what is the brand / cranking amps?? Is the engine cranking slowly, or does is seem to "bog down" over a few seconds cranking? Does the starter turn /cranks the engine solid and "powerful / hard" ?? Did you test your battery and check voltage drop during cranking?? Any smells?? If your battery is 2 years old or more, the first thing I would do is to change it for a NON OEM ( ie not a Porsche) battery.
It is the original battery and they have tested it numerous times. The engine seems to bog down as it turns over a few times and then it starts. Most of the time it turns on after 3 cranks but very often it cranks 4 or 5 times. Do you recommend changing the battery even though the dealer has determined that it is ok?
Strange that they cant reproduce the problem. I am going to keep documenting my startups on video so that I can show them.
The car is under warranty until november and I am worried that if they cant solve it now I am going to have to pay out of pocket later.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:06 PM
mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !
your video is private

Old 08-24-2012, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by mattyf
your video is private
oops sorry its public now!

Old 08-24-2012, 09:17 PM
mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !
That doesn't sound good. Here's what I'd do:

1) Measure the battery voltage. It should be in the high 12s to 13s in voltage.

2) If you have a battery charger put it on and see if it sounds better. Leave it on over night and see if the voltage increases. I have several chargers, one of them has a engine start mode. I'd also try that.

3) Take the battery to autozone or a place like that and have them test it. I think they can load test for dead cells. Dealer should be able to do that too, but since they haven't been able to find anything wrong I'd try someplace else.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:26 AM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by akacaj
It is the original battery and they have tested it numerous times. The engine seems to bog down as it turns over a few times and then it starts. Most of the time it turns on after 3 cranks but very often it cranks 4 or 5 times. Do you recommend changing the battery even though the dealer has determined that it is ok?
Strange that they cant reproduce the problem. I am going to keep documenting my startups on video so that I can show them.
The car is under warranty until november and I am worried that if they cant solve it now I am going to have to pay out of pocket later.
Yep, your battery is going to be the culprit I bet. Porsches are HARD ... VERY HARD on the battery during start-up . Even MORE when the engine is hot!! Go for the appropriate battery from Interstate (as suggested). There are 2 models I believe that fit and are completely interchangeable and they also have the vent tube A MUST HAVE ITEM!!). If it is a Porsche warranty, unfortunately they will put a Porsche OEM battery in it which I would not give the time of day. I am suggesting you go roque on this one.