997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

New iPhone 5 won't work with Porsche Iphone cable?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 09:42 AM
BrianALynch will become famous soon enough
Angry New iPhone 5 won't work with Porsche Iphone cable?

I see the new Iphone featuring the new smaller Lightning connector, means that expensive Porsche cable for the iPhone wont work. I also read there is an adaptor to go from the old apple connector to the Lightning connector, but it wont support control and or video. meaning, you can still play the music, but wont be able to control the Iphone from your stereo in car. I guess we will see.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:50 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
I am very interested in what they will come up with, I hate that they switched over to a different charger. Hopefully Porsche or someone else comes up with something for the conversion.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:41 AM
daberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to behold
Oh crap! I completely forgot about that. I just ordered my Iphone 5 and forgot about the car interface.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:28 AM
GS997 will become famous soon enough
You're correct. They are releasing an adapter for the new Lightning charger. I would give it some time, you know somebody is bound to come up with an adapter that can still keep it fully functional. I give it 3 months tops

Old 09-14-2012, 12:23 PM
PSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
They say Porsches are timeless, but Apple just obsoleted our cars! Think of the ensuing plummeting resale values!!!

Old 09-14-2012, 12:36 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
My tech told me that Porsche did not like the way the iPhone kept changing it's protocol.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:23 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
As posted in another forum...

Now with the iPhone5 and Apple's move to go with a wholly new dock connector, the existing two iPhone/Pod interface cables won't work on this new phone... so we get a chance to buy ANOTHER new cable for the car.

Yes, Apple will make an adapter available, but given how tight it is in that small center cubby already with the phone and cable, a few extra millimeters for more adapters may not be available.

Grr...:banghead:

The problem is the real estate in the cubby is too small for this combo of longer phone + adapter plus the Porsche cable.

I'd prefer to see an upgrade to the UAI module as a way to fix this so 5vdc charging comes out of the iOS port and a selection of cables that work with old and new connector types without adapters.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:20 PM
SBPORSCHE is on a distinguished road
Why do you guys plug in your phone? Doesn't bluetooth synch the phone/contacts? I use a dedicated ipod nano for all my music....what am I missing?

Old 09-14-2012, 02:30 PM
soccerTOOLsu is on a distinguished road
Everybody needs to quit having their panites in a bunch.

What do you plan on doing with your old iphone????

Yep, a dedicated phone for your Pcar and you can still use bluetooth to take calls from your iPhone5.

Not sure why all the big fuss.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:58 PM
daberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by soccerTOOLsu
Everybody needs to quit having their panites in a bunch.

What do you plan on doing with your old iphone????

Yep, a dedicated phone for your Pcar and you can still use bluetooth to take calls from your iPhone5.

Not sure why all the big fuss.
I'm hearing you, but I have multiple cars with the same issue. I'm not going to drag my Iphone 5 and my newly minted Iphone 4 Ipod to all my cars. That's just silly.

What this means in a practical sense is that I'll have to buy a new cable for both the Porsche and the Audi. It's not a huge deal, but another $50 each just to keep the number of devices to a minimum.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:47 PM
Banned
JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !
Just another reason for me to remain an Android user. My Nav unit doesn't have Bluetooth, so I'm out, anyway.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:47 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
No. The solution is not to buy an iPhone 5. Keep the phone you have. Apple, however, did biff this one big time.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:19 AM
sizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond repute
When I read that the phone would have a new connector a month ago, I just upgraded to a 4S and it works fine. Do you really need a 5?

Old 09-15-2012, 08:36 AM
spyerx is a jewel in the roughspyerx is a jewel in the roughspyerx is a jewel in the rough
Progress ... must move on.... I ordered one. Remember Porsche did something slightly more drastic a few years back with that thing called a water cooled engine.... And it has worked out ok.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:35 AM
GregM3 is a name known to allGregM3 is a name known to allGregM3 is a name known to allGregM3 is a name known to allGregM3 is a name known to allGregM3 is a name known to all
Don't most people use bluetooth with any BT phone? I've got an iPod classic hooked up to the cable and use it just for tunes. My phone has always been independent of that cable connection. Not sure what the big deal is.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New iPhone 5 won't work with Porsche Iphone cable?