997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997.2S Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 08:05 PM
a4ep will become famous soon enough
997.2S Check Engine Light

Okay, so tonight i noticed my oil level was low, on the bar above the bottom line so i stopped at Walmart and grabbed some good ol 0w-40 Mobile 1 and tossed a quart in, sealed up the oil cap nice and tight until hou feel that silent click of reistance in it and drove off. About 3 miles later at a stoplight i noticed my dashboard lights were out, the needles were still glowing red but the light behind the dials were out. I thought this was odd but when i pulled from the light they all the sudden came back on. Then about another 3 miles or so i noticed the engine started struggling. It seemed to hover, unsettled like at 1100rpm idle whereas it is normally around 800rpm. The throttle response seemed to take more pressure then normal, in sport and regular. The pdk also shifted roughly.

I pulled into my garage and let the engine run a bit to check the oil level and it was fine (1 bar under max line) but the engine started wobbling beteen 1100 and 800rpm. So i checked th engine, no weird sounds. I shut the car off, waited a minute and it startd back up, itnseemed better, i did a quick blip or two of the throttle and then the check engine light came on.

I shut it off, checked the oil cap again...it was fully fastened. Tried the car again, light came back on.

I am the second owner and the service history shows a recall service n 2010 so i think the HPFP was handled there. Anyone know what else it could be? Can i drive it to the dealer...7 miles away? Light is solid Not flashing, only thing i could think is it has something to do with the oil but that makes no sense.

Ay advice is appreciated.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:50 PM
Mikes997C2S will become famous soon enoughMikes997C2S will become famous soon enough
I have experienced a similar problem in my 997.2
Check your oil filler cap. It probably is not screwed on correctly.
Redo your oil filler cap before going into your "Porsche Workshop".

Old 12-04-2012, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by Mikes997C2S
I have experienced a similar problem in my 997.2
Check your oil filler cap. It probably is not screwed on correctly.
Redo your oil filler cap before going into your "Porsche Workshop".
Thanks. I redid that and the fuel cap this morning. I decided to just hit the dealer first thing to see if they could hook it up and check the fault. They did and said it was a one time fault of "lean on left bank 2". They didnt know why it did this so are sending the output to Porsche but they turned off the light and said it shouldnt happen again. Just weird that the dash lights went quirky and both pdk and throttle went haywire all at the same time.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:20 PM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
You say you "tossed a quart in"
I have never added that much at one time....Even when the bars were half....??

Old 12-04-2012, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by eldertec
You say you "tossed a quart in"
I have never added that much at one time....Even when the bars were half....??
Guessed i should have said i put half the quart in, measured, put the other half in. It was at the bottom line for 3 days of random measures so i knew it would be one quart, i am still one bar shy of the top line.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:53 PM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
Oil pressure ok?

Old 12-04-2012, 07:56 PM
Banned
semicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by a4ep
Guessed i should have said i put half the quart in, measured, put the other half in. It was at the bottom line for 3 days of random measures so i knew it would be one quart, i am still one bar shy of the top line.
Good approach. For reference, the distance between two lines on the oil gauge is approx 0.4 qts (one bar on the graph = 0.4 qts). Topping off two bars is still less than a full bottle of oil (0.8 qts)

Old 12-05-2012, 04:24 AM
Originally Posted by PTParks
Oil pressure ok?
Yup.

Old 04-24-2016, 12:24 PM
jvoss997.2 is on a distinguished road
What was the outcome?

Hey a4ep, I am having the exact same issue. Got a low oil indicator, followed the same process you did with the adding 1/2 a qtr at a time to bring up to just one bar below full.

Now check engine, fought idle, (jumping from 800 to 1100). Nothing flashing, but check engine is not resetting.

I know it was 4 years ago, but do you recall the final outcome? I have a 09 that only had 14k miles on it when I picked it up in Jan 2016, now 3 and a half months and 2.5k miles later I am where you were.

Mine has an active 2 year 50k Porsche warranty. It is certified.