997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Help! Strange noise ruining my afternoon drive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 01:48 PM
Volnomad is on a distinguished road
Help! Strange noise ruining my afternoon drive

Took my 911 out for a ride in this beautiful 66 degree sunny day. My joy was ruined by a squalling noise on launch from stop. Happened repeatedly and appears to be coming from engine compartment. Does not sound like a slipping belt squeal but I suppose it could be. Stops after launch. Any theories? Thanks

Old 02-09-2013, 02:29 PM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
My first thought was the belt. Symptoms seem to support since it stops after taking off from a stop. How about during acceleration at highway speeds? I'm betting it doesn't do it.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:37 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know but I wouldn't keep doing it if it squeals (or makes noises unfamiliar to you) when you do. Have it looked at.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by denversteve
I don't know but I wouldn't keep doing it if it squeals (or makes noises unfamiliar to you) when you do. Have it looked at.
I have not noticed it except from standing start, so could be a belt. But, good advice! I parked it until I can get it looked at Monday.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:38 PM
sizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond repute
If you have manual transmission, it's probably a glazed clutch.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:12 PM
I do have a manual transmission. If I make a gentle start, the sound may not emerge. A bit faster start, and it always emerges.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:10 PM
Matt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud of
I do have a manual transmission. If I make a gentle start, the sound may not emerge. A bit faster start, and it always emerges.
Sounds like a belt but really worth getting checked out.

Matt

Old 02-10-2013, 06:38 PM
sullivas is on a distinguished road
Feel around your plastic idler pulleys to see if they have grooves on their outer edges from belt wear to make sure they don't need to be replaced as well.
Another thought, when power steering pumps begin failing the resistance can make the belt squeal.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:48 PM
Ok I took my 911 to the local P dealer today. They said they had never heard a noise like the one my car is making. Not comforting at all!! Consequently they have no idea what the problem is. Ouch

Old 02-14-2013, 07:31 PM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
There are several threads on what sounds like a similar issue that I found when I searched. They all seem to mention a glazed clutch but nobody posted the results or fixes. They al describe a Squeal from a standing start. I searched because I remembered one had a video an it sounded like a castrated miniature poodle yelping. The video has been removed however. Some suggest doing some hard launches to ruff up the clutch disc.

Not advice, just reiteration.

Good Luck.

P.S. Love the color.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:54 PM
Thanks, Hella-Buggin'. I will check it out, but don't you have to do something stupid to "glaze" the clutch? The service tech said it definitely was not a belt and not the air-oil separator (because the sound is not continuous). The noise only emerges after the car is very warm. I do not recall hearing it when the engine is cold. I am going to take the car to a larger dealership (Hendricks) (I was not in Charlotte) where they see more P-cars and hope they have some experience. The car drives fine otherwise. I'm stumped.

Thanks for the compliment on the color. It's unique. None of the dealerships have seen one that color either. :-)