997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

When lowering do you use spacers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 08:10 AM
smann79 is on a distinguished road
When lowering do you use spacers?

Hey guys, so far everyone has been a tremendous help with the work on my 911. My car goes in next week for eibach lowering springs and I am wondering if you guys also used wheel spacers when lowering?

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-13-2013, 08:15 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I added the spacers after it was lowered, I felt the wheels looked like they were inset too much. Wheel Spacers are just for looks, they don't add any performance gains.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:19 PM
MIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud of
Lowered mine, did not use any wheel spacers, I want my tires in the wheel well,so dirt and rocks dont fly all over the car. Its not a pick-up truck. Also if you add wheel spacers it will throw your alinements off!!! That would be more money to have adjusted!!

Old 02-13-2013, 03:48 PM
onefastman1 is a name known to allonefastman1 is a name known to allonefastman1 is a name known to allonefastman1 is a name known to allonefastman1 is a name known to allonefastman1 is a name known to all
Lowered on H&R and used 7mm all around

Old 02-13-2013, 04:32 PM
Harry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud of
Wheel spacers are almost mandatory in my opinion when lowered with OEM wheels. When lowered, the wheels appear to be more inset than at stock height.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:43 PM
AlohaSC is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MIkeGTS
Lowered mine, did not use any wheel spacers, I want my tires in the wheel well,so dirt and rocks dont fly all over the car. Its not a pick-up truck. Also if you add wheel spacers it will throw your alinements off!!! That would be more money to have adjusted!!
Is it true that wheel spacers throw alignment off. I just oreceived after-market wheels that have considerable offset. The vendor said they would not affect alignment at all.

Who is correct?

Old 02-13-2013, 05:01 PM
MIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud of
I've been told by Mercedes and Porsche that when you install any aftermarket wheel that is diffrent than stock, adjustments will be necessary!! $$$$$$$

Old 02-13-2013, 06:27 PM
drummin4fun will become famous soon enoughdrummin4fun will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by AlohaSC
Is it true that wheel spacers throw alignment off. I just oreceived after-market wheels that have considerable offset. The vendor said they would not affect alignment at all.

Who is correct?
Spacers or no spacers... you'd be silly not to get a four wheel alignment after having lowering springs installed. My car had the spacers already. I had Eibachs installed, and had them do the alignment as well.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:07 AM
AlohaSC is on a distinguished road
If I had my car lowered I would definitely get all four corners aligned. It makes sense that lowering the car would change the geometry. However, it doesn't make sense to me that installing new wheels that simply have an offset (15mm rear), that the geometry would be changed at all. Seems the camber would stay exactly the same, unaffected by offset. Maybe I am missing something here, but I don't see why offset would require an alignment. The vendor was adamant that no alignment would be necessary.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:42 AM
SUB-ZERO has a spectacular aura aboutSUB-ZERO has a spectacular aura about
I run Bilstein Damptronics lowered 20mm all around. I had spacers before the suspension install and left them on after. There actually is a performance advantage and is to widen your track.

I recommend a good alignment after messing with your suspension. You can go a bit more aggressive on the alignment for better handling.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	363.1 KB
ID:	211480  
Old 02-14-2013, 08:34 PM
Harry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud of
If I had my car lowered I would definitely get all four corners aligned. It makes sense that lowering the car would change the geometry. However, it doesn't make sense to me that installing new wheels that simply have an offset (15mm rear), that the geometry would be changed at all. Seems the camber would stay exactly the same, unaffected by offset. Maybe I am missing something here, but I don't see why offset would require an alignment. The vendor was adamant that no alignment would be necessary.
Sounds logical but when i installed spacers on my M3 (25mm front and 10mm rear), camber was increased a noticeable amount.

Old 08-24-2023, 02:56 PM
Derekp87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Who is correct?
This is false, your alignment does not change with wheel spacers/adpater . I just used some for the bolt pattern on my car and and my alignment stayed the same, didn't have to adjust anything.