997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Totally confused re PSE on '10 4S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 04:18 PM
cairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the rough
Totally confused re PSE on '10 4S

OK, I thought I was in good shape until I called Michael Stead Porsche of Walnut Creek today and spoke with their service and parts department.

Here are the issues:

1: They charge $1,200 labor for the install of the full system including the harness and switch. (Service) Well that seems a little on the high side to me. I was figuring about $800

2. Service tells me on the '10 "S" cars with PSE installed they cut out or turn off between 25 and 40 MPH and everyone hates that so they just do the install without the switch. (Sounds to me like they do not want to do the full install.) I told service my information was on 996 and 997.1 cars that was the case but on later cars the exhaust did not shut off or go quiet between 25-40 MPH. I said they act just like the PSE on the new 991 - once you activate the switch it stays loud until you deactivate it. Service guy said, "Well that's a whole different animal." (really? I thought it was the same motor?)

3. Parts department tells me that they are not sure they can order parts for the PSE system individually as they only sell the PSE as a compete kit.

SO..... can someone with a 997.2 S with factory PSE installed please settle the whole automatic shut off between 25-40 MPH issue? When you turn it on, is it on at all speeds 0 to whatever you are crazy enough to do, or does it shut itself off as soon as you reach 25 and then turn back on at 40MPH.

One would think this would be pretty straight forward.....I guess not.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by cairo94507; 02-20-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:40 PM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
Do a gundo hack

Old 02-15-2013, 06:55 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by cairo94507
OK, I thought I was in good shape until I called Michael Stead Porsche of Walnut Creek today and spoke with their service and parts department.

Here are the issues:

1: They charge $1,200 labor for the install of the full system including the harness and switch. (Service) Well that seems a little on the high side to me. I was figuring about $800
My guess is the labor is so high because routing the wiring from the tail up to the switch panel to install and operate that switch is somewhat labor intensive.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:59 PM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute

Here are the issues:

2. Service tells me on the '10 "S" cars with PSE installed they cut out or turn off between 25 and 40 MPH and everyone hates that so they just do the install without the switch. (Sounds to me like they do not want to do the full install.) I told service my information was on 996 and 997.1 cars that was the case but on later cars the exhaust did not shut off or go quiet between 25-40 MPH. I said they act just like the PSE on the new 991 - once you activate the switch it stays loud until you deactivate it. Service guy said, "Well that's a whole different animal." (really? I thought it was the same motor?)

3. Parts department tells me that they are not sure they can order parts for the PSE system individually as they only sell the PSE as a compete kit.

SO..... can someone with a 997.2 S with factory PSE installed please settle the whole automatic shut off between 25-40 MPH issue? When you turn it on, is it on at all speeds 0 to whatever you are crazy enough to do, or does it shut itself off as soon as you reach 25 and then turn back on at 40MPH.

One would think this would be pretty straight forward.....I guess not.

Thanks everyone.
I have a 2012 GTS, which of course has PSE. Mine definitely does NOT shut off between 25-40, or any other speed, unless I turn it off.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:40 AM
cairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the rough
I do not want to do the Gundo hack as this is my wife's DD and she parks in a parking garage at work and does not want to be so conspicuous as she comes and goes and sometimes she wants to enjoy the engine sound and other times not.

Surely someone with a stock '10 "S" with PSE is a member here. I am not sure about the '12 GTS but I would believe they have the same PSE as the '10 "S", but not certain.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:56 AM
chaser is on a distinguished road
I do not want to do the Gundo hack as this is my wife's DD and she parks in a parking garage at work and does not want to be so conspicuous as she comes and goes and sometimes she wants to enjoy the engine sound and other times not.

Surely someone with a stock '10 "S" with PSE is a member here. I am not sure about the '12 GTS but I would believe they have the same PSE as the '10 "S", but not certain.
I just had the PSE installed 2 weeks ago on my 2010 4s. I asked the same question as you and was told that when the switch is on you have sport exhaust when switch is off no sport exhaust. From what I observe this is correct.
I did the factory PSE due to warranty. Cost.....$3500.00.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:14 AM
Breeks is an unknown quantity at this point
I have 2010 S with factory sports exhaust and it does not turn off between 25-40 MPH. It stays on until you turn it off or shut off the car.

When I first start the car it is on for about five seconds then goes off. After that I push button (when I remember) and it stays on at all speeds.

Car came equipped with PSE when new it was not added at a later date.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:35 AM
windboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by chaser
I just had the PSE installed 2 weeks ago on my 2010 4s. I asked the same question as you and was told that when the switch is on you have sport exhaust when switch is off no sport exhaust. From what I observe this is correct.
I did the factory PSE due to warranty. Cost.....$3500.00.
I paid about the same here in ATL in December for PSE on my 2011 Carrera Cab. My 5 yr/100k warranty was issue for me as well, I didn't want to risk having it cancelled if there were problems with a third party SE System

Old 02-16-2013, 01:54 PM
MIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud of
Buy a GTS and you will get "all the goodies" for less!!! Best of the 997.2. PSE only shuts off when i push the button, which is only when iam leaving church!!!

Old 02-16-2013, 02:18 PM
OK so clearly the service guy at Michael Stead Porsche of Walnut Creek does not know what the heck he is talking about. Thanks everyone.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:11 PM
hakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the rough
My car came with PSE and it does not turn off between 25 to 40 mph. Those guys are smoking crack.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:08 AM
py0413 is a jewel in the roughpy0413 is a jewel in the roughpy0413 is a jewel in the rough
Last spring, I asked my local dealer about PSE and installation. They didn't mention anything about the shut-off at certain speed, but labour alone, they want almost $2000 after tax. (Sucks being Canadian in this case) I have up on the PSE idea as for that money I could get something better for sure.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:38 PM
cnachris is on a distinguished road
2010 C4S Cab. Complete install of PSE system with switch, harness etc. When activated main PSE switch stays on (lit) until you turn it off or restart car. HOWEVER, the baffles WILL close "automatically" (with PSE switch still lit and in on position) between 25 mph and about 40mph muting the PSE sound. European protocol as I understand from my earlier investigation. When the top is down you can hear them close at about 25 mph (sound is muted) then open again around 40 mph and the sound gets louder. This is heard much more clearly with the top down. Hope this helps.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:07 AM
chaser is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cnachris
2010 C4S Cab. Complete install of PSE system with switch, harness etc. When activated main PSE switch stays on (lit) until you turn it off or restart car. HOWEVER, the baffles WILL close "automatically" (with PSE switch still lit and in on position) between 25 mph and about 40mph muting the PSE sound. European protocol as I understand from my earlier investigation. When the top is down you can hear them close at about 25 mph (sound is muted) then open again around 40 mph and the sound gets louder. This is heard much more clearly with the top down. Hope this helps.
This is where the confusion begins....European vs US protocol. While the Europeans, probably the Germans, require the muting of the PSE the US has no standard that requires muting. The techs here in Delaware say the PSE's they install will not mute, turn off the PSE, between 25 and 40 mph. Having had PSE just installed I cannot hear a change in sound in that range. I will however listen very closely today.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:01 AM
Just when I thought I was out of the woods on this issue.........

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Totally confused re PSE on '10 4S