997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Possible to get Sports Chrono installed later? CPO later? Paddle shifters later?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 06:58 PM
Johnson184 is on a distinguished road
Possible to get Sports Chrono installed later? CPO later? Paddle shifters later?

Still in the preliminary stages of possibly buying a Porsche. Definitely want a 997.2 for the newer engine, PDK, and the navigation. My price range is somewhere from $50000 to $60000 depending on if I want the S version.

Curious thing I'm noticing is a lot of the PDK equipped Carreras don't seem to have the Sports Chrono package. Is it possible to get this installed at the dealer? Any idea about the cost of this?

I'm also trying to figure out the cost of getting the steering wheel with paddle shifters and getting a CPO on it. Any clue as to the price of that?

I've heard nothing but great reviews/opinions of the Porsche's reliability, but how much are you guys looking at when it comes to yearly maintenance costs? Seems to me like the CPO isn't really necessary, but so many sound adamant. Thanks in advance for any tips/help!

Old 02-25-2013, 07:26 PM
hakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the rough
Yes, yes, and yes. SportDesign wheel is about a thousand bucks.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:45 PM
daberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to behold
Not sure why you are seeing 997.2 PDKs without Sport Chrono. When I began shopping 18 months ago, saw very few 997.2's without it. Regardless, it is possible to add it but without the zit on the dash (no big deal). People have been quoted in the $1500-$1800 range all in.

Highly recommend the upgraded steering wheel if you go down the PDK route. It's awesome. $1000 without the airbag.

For me dropping $61K plus another roughly $10K to get it on the road here in LA was a big enough investment that there was no way I was going to buy one without a CPO. Not saying the DFI engine is unreliable (it's been great), BUT you are buying a used car. It's nice having the knowledge that anything that goes wrong won't be your burden to cover during the CPO.

As for maintenance, it all depends. If you do much of the basic work yourself, (filters, belts, oil, batteries, brakes, etc) the 997.2 is no different than any other high end German car. If you plan to service the car at a Porsche Dealer, be prepared to bring your checkbook. $300 for an oil, air filter and inspection.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:15 PM
Johnson184 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the help. Any clue how much the CPO process costs? Since I'm new to Porsches, it does offer me some comfort knowing it can't be a total dud while extending the warranty.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:54 PM
sandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Johnson184
Thanks for all the help. Any clue how much the CPO process costs? Since I'm new to Porsches, it does offer me some comfort knowing it can't be a total dud while extending the warranty.
Seems like it typically adds about 2K.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:12 AM
PasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to all
You cant buy a car from a non pcar dealer then CPO it. if you buy one from a dealer you can choose to CPO or not, if the dealer has not already CPOed it.

I was quoted 1500 for adding chrono. most S models have it, most C2 models do not.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:41 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PasPar2
You cant buy a car from a non pcar dealer then CPO it. if you buy one from a dealer you can choose to CPO or not, if the dealer has not already CPOed it.

I was quoted 1500 for adding chrono. most S models have it, most C2 models do not.
Have there being cases where the person sells the car back to a porsche dealer and then buys it back with the cpo...i seem to recall that?

is that an option?

Old 02-26-2013, 08:42 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Sports chrono software can be added for around 1K. But no hump in the dash.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:21 AM
vg247 has a spectacular aura aboutvg247 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by buck986
Sports chrono software can be added for around 1K. But no hump in the dash.
Most P dealers are running a 15% off Winter discount on parts and some are generous and apply this to labor as well. Others who may not advertise this, will match other dealer's coupons if you show them.

It's a great deal to use if you're going to get the Sports mode software installed FYI.

Suncoast also has great deals on this- inquire on pricing with them for PCA and forum members.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:41 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Have there being cases where the person sells the car back to a porsche dealer and then buys it back with the cpo...i seem to recall that?

is that an option?
In order to get a Porsche CPO car first, the dealer must own the car, second the car must be brought up to Porsche CPO. For example, brakes must have 50 % of their usefull life. In most cases brakes would need replacement. Keep in mind that even though brakes aren't a warranteed system, this standard of condition much be reached or exceeded in order to get the Porsche CPO. You pay dealer rates and dealers like to replace rotors and pads not just pads. This goes for the clutch and tires. Tires must be Porsche N spec or they will be replaced and added to the repair bill. So, whatever the cost or repairs you pay before the car can get a CPO. The newer the car the better chance it would need less recondioning.
Third, you pay for the CPO on top of the repairs which in April of last year would have been $ 3,300 .
If you've got to have a CPO car buy it from a dealer as it will be less costly in long the run.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by Dadio
In order to get a Porsche CPO car first, the dealer must own the car, second the car must be brought up to Porsche CPO. For example, brakes must have 50 % of their usefull life. In most cases brakes would need replacement. Keep in mind that even though brakes aren't a warranteed system, this standard of condition much be reached or exceeded in order to get the Porsche CPO. You pay dealer rates and dealers like to replace rotors and pads not just pads. This goes for the clutch and tires. Tires must be Porsche N spec or they will be replaced and added to the repair bill. So, whatever the cost or repairs you pay before the car can get a CPO. The newer the car the better chance it would need less recondioning.
Third, you pay for the CPO on top of the repairs which in April of last year would have been $ 3,300 .
If you've got to have a CPO car buy it from a dealer as it will be less costly in long the run.
And the CPO gives you two additional years of full coverage? Except wear and tear items..right?

Doesn't seem worth it if the dealer doesn't have the car.

Better to go with aftermarket warranty.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:52 PM
windboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Johnson184
Still in the preliminary stages of possibly buying a Porsche. Definitely want a 997.2 for the newer engine, PDK, and the navigation. My price range is somewhere from $50000 to $60000 depending on if I want the S version.

Curious thing I'm noticing is a lot of the PDK equipped Carreras don't seem to have the Sports Chrono package. Is it possible to get this installed at the dealer? Any idea about the cost of this?

I'm also trying to figure out the cost of getting the steering wheel with paddle shifters and getting a CPO on it. Any clue as to the price of that?

I've heard nothing but great reviews/opinions of the Porsche's reliability, but how much are you guys looking at when it comes to yearly maintenance costs? Seems to me like the CPO isn't really necessary, but so many sound adamant. Thanks in advance for any tips/help!
Make certain you upgrade the following:
1. Porsche Sport Exhaust (PSE) $3500 - $4000
2. Sport Mode Software (PSM) $1200 - $1800
3. Sport Steering Wheel with paddles $1,000 +

All of these are a must and most likely you can strike a deal with the PCAR dealer for a package deal. As someone mentioned, there is currently a 15% parts & labor discount at most dealers.

Last edited by windboat; 02-26-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:56 PM
daberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by windboat
Make certain you upgrade the following:
1. Porsche Sport Exhaust (PSE) $3500 - $4000
2. Sport Mode Software (PSM) $1200 - $1800
3. Sport Steering Wheel with paddles $1,000 +

All of these are a must and most likely you can strike a deal with the PCAR dealer for a package deal. As someone mentioned, there is currently a 15% parts & labor discount at most dealers.
Spot on advice here.

I'd also suggest you keep looking for a car that already has these items. They are out there. I have a non-S and my car came with each of the above along with CPO, BBS CH-R wheels, brand new rubber, and sport springs.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:45 PM
sandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud of

is that an option?
I've heard of that too but not recently. I actually tried to do that with my -06 when it ran out of warranty late 2009. Talked to four dealerships in southwest Florida and the answer was the same from all four: "Not anymore".

Old 02-27-2013, 12:01 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sandwedge
I've heard of that too but not recently. I actually tried to do that with my -06 when it ran out of warranty late 2009. Talked to four dealerships in southwest Florida and the answer was the same from all four: "Not anymore".
May be dealer specific. My dealer offered to do it to me on my leased car at the end of the lease. Deal woud have been as discribed in my earlier post. Wound up buying the car off lease. Payoff was a good deal less than market price for the car. Did not go with CPO as potential costs of dealer performed reconditioning would have been a great deal more than it was worth to me. When stuff needs replacing I'd do it myself or have my indi do it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Possible to get Sports Chrono installed later? CPO later? Paddle shifters later?