997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

225 Oil temp with 3rd radiator and 85 degree ambient temp...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 09:37 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Question 225 Oil temp with 3rd radiator and 85 degree ambient temp...

When I had the VF system and the 3rd radiator that came with it (OEM I believe), the car's oil temp always ran at, or slightly over 200 degrees. When I had the VF system uninstalled I had an OEM 3rd radiator from Suncoast installed and noticed right away the cars oil temp was running around 210 degrees. I found this a bit odd driving home at night but didnt think much of it at the time. Today while cruising at 70 on the freeway in 85 degree weather, the car was running around 215 degrees and spiked around 225 degrees...

I got the 3rd radiator to help the car run cooler, especially since it will see a few hot track days this summer... Any ideas on what's going on...?

Old 04-11-2013, 06:17 AM
terpsred has a spectacular aura aboutterpsred has a spectacular aura about
would the 3rd radiator help with the water temp more than the oil temp? Here is the DC area when the temp is in the 80's my oil is regularly over 200. I hardly ever get higher than 225. Non-track, just stuck in DC traffic.

from my experience, your temp does not seem out of line for running it hard on the track.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:31 AM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by CarNerd
When I had the VF system and the 3rd radiator that came with it (OEM I believe), the car's oil temp always ran at, or slightly over 200 degrees. When I had the VF system uninstalled I had an OEM 3rd radiator from Suncoast installed and noticed right away the cars oil temp was running around 210 degrees. I found this a bit odd driving home at night but didnt think much of it at the time. Today while cruising at 70 on the freeway in 85 degree weather, the car was running around 215 degrees and spiked around 225 degrees...

I got the 3rd radiator to help the car run cooler, especially since it will see a few hot track days this summer... Any ideas on what's going on...?
Exactly like mine, seems normal.
Also had an 07S, same.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:57 AM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
I was driving in similar temperatures, 84F, yesterday and my oil temp sat at about 200F. In my case an '11' GTS PDK.

Is there any chance that you might still have some air in the system?

Old 04-11-2013, 04:53 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by terpsred
would the 3rd radiator help with the water temp more than the oil temp? Here is the DC area when the temp is in the 80's my oil is regularly over 200. I hardly ever get higher than 225. Non-track, just stuck in DC traffic.

from my experience, your temp does not seem out of line for running it hard on the track.
Yeah, 225 would seem normal at the track with the 3rd rad, but this was driving at 70mph on the freeway in 85 degree weather

Originally Posted by eldertec
Exactly like mine, seems normal.
Also had an 07S, same.
Good to hear, thanks

Old 04-11-2013, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by Alan C.
I was driving in similar temperatures, 84F, yesterday and my oil temp sat at about 200F. In my case an '11' GTS PDK.

Is there any chance that you might still have some air in the system?
I'm gonna check on that a bit later, as well at oil level.

As a side, I called my mechanic and he said that the car should actually be running at no lower than 212 degree to boil off any water in the oil and that anything sub 250 is ok.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:24 PM
MIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud of
I'm with AlanC , I have same car and in 85 plus weather I run 175 coolant and a smidgen above 200 oil temp. Which is more important?... I believe it's the coolant temp that matters. Am I correct. When should you you get on it, RPMS- Sport,Sport Plus at 175 coolant or the oil temp???

Old 04-11-2013, 10:59 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
The analog gauges are not accurate. I have Race Keeper data system I use at the track and I have the obd2 plug in that show water, oil temps among other things. Analog oil temp gauge reads high and water gauge reads bothe high and low as it will not move from 175 unless engine is over heating.

You want you oil temp to be above 212. Today's engine are designed to run hotter and you need 212 to burn off condensation in the oil. Synth oil at 225-250 is nothing. 275 at the track is fine but 275 on the analog guage is really only around 225.

Last edited by mdrums; 04-11-2013 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:07 PM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
At the track never had more than 225...ever!

2011 C4S.