997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Hello everyone

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 01:18 PM
THAT GUY is on a distinguished road
Hello everyone

Hi guys

Been a lurker for a bit reading up on what others have\are doing.

I have been fortunate enough to be in a position to join your family

I could possibly be a Porsche owner by summer 2014 if all goes well.

My budget is ~$45k maybe $50 for a 2006 and up 997
Weekend car strictly, no winter driving and no track just street.

My questions:

1) When buying a used Porsche, at what point do you have to factor in rebuilding the engine? I am looking at cars with 20k, 30k, 40k and even 60k miles of "unmolested" use (so they claim). I don't have a problem rebuilding the block but just want an round about idea of when these blocks need to get rebuilt, especially when buying used.

2) What is part of the rebuilding process, what gets replaced? How much roughly will this cost me if i have to go this route?

Thank you in advance for the info fellas. I ask because the almighty Google and search function have not satisfied my curiosity in this matter.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:00 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
Welcome, I f you get a car with 20-40K miles on it and use it as a fair weather weekend car only it will be 5 or 6 years before you will have any significant mileage to worry about rebuilding due to mileage.
Search" IMS bearing rebuild" which is what you have to worry about with the year 911 you are considering.(even with low miles). Good luck.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:56 PM
cairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the rough
If your budget grows a tiny bit you might be able to get into a 997.2 car and perhaps be money ahead given the IMS issues on the .1 cars. I agree with Porsche experts on this issue when they say to buy the newest car you can comfortably afford. Good luck.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by cerbomark
Welcome, I f you get a car with 20-40K miles on it and use it as a fair weather weekend car only it will be 5 or 6 years before you will have any significant mileage to worry about rebuilding due to mileage.
Search" IMS bearing rebuild" which is what you have to worry about with the year 911 you are considering.(even with low miles). Good luck.
Will read up on IMS, thx buddy!

Originally Posted by cairo94507
If your budget grows a tiny bit you might be able to get into a 997.2 car and perhaps be money ahead given the IMS issues on the .1 cars. I agree with Porsche experts on this issue when they say to buy the newest car you can comfortably afford. Good luck.
You are like the 5th person to say this to me. I will deff start to consider this, lets hope the $$ situation improves.

I appreciate the feedback, thank you very much.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:26 AM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
I agree with buying the newest you can afford, but don't get too obsessive about the "IMS Issue", as IMO it has been blown way out of proportion. Very few cars have had the issue, but of course you hear of the ones that had it, not of the much larger number that didn't. And it appears to apply only to some 05 model year vehicles. If I found a smoking deal on an 05 configured how I liked it, I don't think I would let the IMS thing hold me back. Be sure to research enough to know what options/features are really important to you, and be patient and persistent in your quest.

Reading these forums, I expect you will find that there are VERY few engine rebuilds on the tens of thousands of 997's out there. Lots of people have over 75k miles and haven't had any major issues. These cars are extremely tough and relatively maintenance free compared to many other exotics out there. So I wouldn't focus too much on potential engine rebuilding unless you're looking at very high mileage cars for which you don't know the driving history. By the same token, I would be careful with cars with very low mileage that may not have been driven regularly enough.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:40 AM
jvc300 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by keninirvine
I agree with buying the newest you can afford, but don't get too obsessive about the "IMS Issue", as IMO it has been blown way out of proportion. Very few cars have had the issue, but of course you hear of the ones that had it, not of the much larger number that didn't. And it appears to apply only to some 05 model year vehicles. If I found a smoking deal on an 05 configured how I liked it, I don't think I would let the IMS thing hold me back. Be sure to research enough to know what options/features are really important to you, and be patient and persistent in your quest.

Reading these forums, I expect you will find that there are VERY few engine rebuilds on the tens of thousands of 997's out there. Lots of people have over 75k miles and haven't had any major issues. These cars are extremely tough and relatively maintenance free compared to many other exotics out there. So I wouldn't focus too much on potential engine rebuilding unless you're looking at very high mileage cars for which you don't know the driving history. By the same token, I would be careful with cars with very low mileage that may not have been driven regularly enough.
++1

I have an 07 thats been rock solid. 06 - 08 have an IMS thats 85% larger and has proven it's self very well. I personally have not heard of or seen proof of an 07 - 08 have any such issue.
Early 997's had the smaller IMS. Some had the issue, but not to the degree of 99-05. There is a period when the engines were switched over the larger bearing.
I also had the dreaded 996 of the 2004 vintage. It was a great car and I miss it to this day. Every manufacturer has a weak point. I know of 2010 E-Class losing it's engine.
Best advice: Buy a CPO'd car. Let the factory worry about it.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:52 AM
Dubbin' will become famous soon enough

Well said!

It get's scary some times when you get to reading on these forums. A lot of people only browse the forums and get misinformed by not being as thorough with the information as they should. I own a 2007 C2S with 26K on it and it has been rock solid for the past 4 years. Do not be scared by some of the things your read just as previously mentioned you do not hear about the success stories as much as the horror stories. Many owners of 997 Carrera's are surpassing 100K miles without any issues! CPO is great, if not just make sure you are having it thoroughly inspected. Keeping up on the maintenance is also a great idea. These cars are made to DRIVE!

Good luck and enjoy!

Old 10-08-2013, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by jvc300
++1

I have an 07 thats been rock solid. 06 - 08 have an IMS thats 85% larger and has proven it's self very well. I personally have not heard of or seen proof of an 07 - 08 have any such issue.
Early 997's had the smaller IMS. Some had the issue, but not to the degree of 99-05. There is a period when the engines were switched over the larger bearing.
I also had the dreaded 996 of the 2004 vintage. It was a great car and I miss it to this day. Every manufacturer has a weak point. I know of 2010 E-Class losing it's engine.
Best advice: Buy a CPO'd car. Let the factory worry about it.
Originally Posted by Dubbin'
Well said!

It get's scary some times when you get to reading on these forums. A lot of people only browse the forums and get misinformed by not being as thorough with the information as they should. I own a 2007 C2S with 26K on it and it has been rock solid for the past 4 years. Do not be scared by some of the things your read just as previously mentioned you do not hear about the success stories as much as the horror stories. Many owners of 997 Carrera's are surpassing 100K miles without any issues! CPO is great, if not just make sure you are having it thoroughly inspected. Keeping up on the maintenance is also a great idea. These cars are made to DRIVE!

Good luck and enjoy!

Great info guys

Many thx on providing info on the high miles that these cars can endure before needing rebuilding (weekend driving mode and some spirited driving of course)

Since my tentative purchase date is early to mid summer '14 I will just keep doing my part in reading up on this forum and others to get as much info as I can on the 997.1 and 997.2 cars.

Lady around my way has a 2010 GT3, yes, I said LADY and it always puts a smile on my face when I see her drive by. I think she has noticed and purposely accelerates or down shift when she passes by my place. She seems in her mid to late 40's... not cougar material for sure but a very pleasant lady.

I love it!!!

I have to own a Porsche!

Old 10-08-2013, 11:59 AM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by THAT GUY
Great info guys

Many thx on providing info on the high miles that these cars can endure before needing rebuilding (weekend driving mode and some spirited driving of course)

Lady around my way has a 2010 GT3, yes, I said LADY and it always puts a smile on my face when I see her drive by. I think she has noticed and purposely accelerates or down shift when she passes by my place. She seems in her mid to late 40's... not cougar material for sure but a very pleasant lady.

I love it!!!

I have to own a Porsche!
Is she married?

Seriously though, I think you're smart to start this process early like you are doing. I suggest driving as many as you can to assist in identifying exactly what you want. (I mean cars of course!)

Old 10-08-2013, 12:10 PM
Is she married?

Seriously though, I think you're smart to start this process early like you are doing. I suggest driving as many as you can to assist in identifying exactly what you want. (I mean cars of course!)
She is married. Her husband owns a local shopping mall strip that has 4 big name national stores in it plus 3-4 smaller shops. He drives a new BMW 7 series Alpina. They are very humble folks, i have spoken to them on 3-4 ocassions already.

I always believe in learning the car you drive or will drive. Plus being in IT industry and having alot of free time on a PC during the day helps alot Buying a Porsche should not be "just another car purchase" it's a PORSCHE!

Last edited by THAT GUY; 10-09-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:10 PM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
Hi! Fellow Long Islander here. I have an 06 (997.1) with, knock on wood, no significant issues. My car is a DD (unless it is snowing; not because the 997 isn't good in the snow with the right tire set up, because other people are idiots in the snow).

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet but a PPI is a must (including a DME scan). There are a few good indy shops here on the Island that can perform the PPI. I have used TKX Performance in Huntington Station for some past upgrades. Give Taso a call when you are ready.

Best of luck in your search.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by lacrosse
Hi! Fellow Long Islander here. I have an 06 (997.1) with, knock on wood, no significant issues. My car is a DD (unless it is snowing; not because the 997 isn't good in the snow with the right tire set up, because other people are idiots in the snow).

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet but a PPI is a must (including a DME scan). There are a few good indy shops here on the Island that can perform the PPI. I have used TKX Performance in Huntington Station for some past upgrades. Give Taso a call when you are ready.

Best of luck in your search.
Hi neighbor, I am on the south shore by Long Beach.

I have a few friends with WRX STI's and EVO's that go to TKX. Good shop from what I hear.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:24 PM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
Hi neighbor, I am on the south shore by Long Beach.

I have a few friends with WRX STI's and EVO's that go to TKX. Good shop from what I hear.

South Shore as well. In the West Islip/Bay Shore area. Once you get your car head on down to the old Oak Beach Inn parking lot on Sunday mornings (7ish). Some nice cars there.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:30 PM
Will do

Is it every Sunday or just during Spring and Summer months?

Old 10-09-2013, 02:20 PM
Will do

Is it every Sunday or just during Spring and Summer months?

It is best from late Spring to mid Fall. Nothing to speak of in the Winter.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.