997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Cheap vs Expensive Carbon Fiber

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 04:38 PM
Car-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond reputeCar-Narcissist has a reputation beyond repute
----

----

Last edited by Car-Narcissist; 06-26-2018 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:53 PM
myw
myw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to behold
i know first hand that some of these cf pieces are 'hand cut', with next to no clearcoat (yes its as ridiculous as it sounds).

however i have bought some inexpensive stuff that has been laser/machine cut, awesome quality with good clearcoat on them as well.

i would ask them if these products are machine cut and what the clearcoat process is before making a move (just in case)...

Old 02-03-2014, 05:44 PM
Former Vendor
need4speedmotors has a spectacular aura aboutneed4speedmotors has a spectacular aura about
I would always pay the extra amount and go with quality carbon fiber. The cheap ones could be good but is it really worth the risk? Discoloring is bound to happen eventually with the cheaper pieces.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:01 PM
Domer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond repute
MACarbon does a nice job. Not cheap.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:41 PM
autobahn it has a spectacular aura aboutautobahn it has a spectacular aura aboutautobahn it has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by need4speedmotors
I would always pay the extra amount and go with quality carbon fiber. The cheap ones could be good but is it really worth the risk? Discoloring is bound to happen eventually with the cheaper pieces.
Discoloring will happen to the expensive stuff to.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:38 AM
Mspeedster is a jewel in the roughMspeedster is a jewel in the roughMspeedster is a jewel in the rough
The way I look at it, would one be okay wearing a cheap knock off tie with an expensive high-end designer suit? Not that there's anything with wrong with that, to each his own...

Old 02-04-2014, 11:27 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by need4speedmotors
Not sure what "risk" there would be on an interior part. Almost all top carbon bicycle frames are from Taiwan and those ARE high risk items. Quality is relative to HOW they are produced, not WHERE. Let's see the links for some of those parts!

Old 02-04-2014, 02:25 PM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
Price has nothing to do with it. OEM pieces are expensive and they WILL DELAMINATE.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:12 PM
silver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the rough
MA carbon is quality

Old 02-05-2014, 07:27 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
They look really good. You've gotta beware of something really cheap because these are only stock parts wrapped in carbon. If they don't use oem parts, who knows what they use.

Be aware that the door spears are a very difficult install. The tabs of the spears need to be melted on.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:24 PM
autobahn it has a spectacular aura aboutautobahn it has a spectacular aura aboutautobahn it has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ryem3
They look really good. You've gotta beware of something really cheap because these are only stock parts wrapped in carbon. If they don't use oem parts, who knows what they use.

Be aware that the door spears are a very difficult install. The tabs of the spears need to be melted on.
And, melted/ground off.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:27 AM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JoelPirela
Price has nothing to do with it. OEM pieces are expensive and they WILL DELAMINATE.
+1 on this. I had carbon fiber trim on one of my 997.1 and it was crap. I would never get Porsche OEM carbon fiber trim again.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:29 AM
RaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Car-Narcissist
Here are some links to some of the CF I've found on eBay that I would buy if the quality was acceptable. Of course, I could probably get similar (and potentially better) items from MA, Rottec, etc but at their prices, I would pass. Door Handles Door Sills Door Finishers (with handles) I emailed the eBay seller and here is the reply I got... Thank you for your enquiry. I have checked for you. It is hand cut and we will apply 3-layers of clear coat. best regards, Alisa
Let me know if you get those. I may swing that myself. If you are willing to take one for team and try them out.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:16 PM
So, did anybody give it a try? They sold the stuff, so someone must have it.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:58 PM
RaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of light
I didn't bite the bullet yet either. Family heading to Disneyland for spring break....need coin for that!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cheap vs Expensive Carbon Fiber