997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Dension 500S BT - System Error: CD Changer not available.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 07:07 PM
hibble is on a distinguished road
Dension 500S BT - System Error: CD Changer not available.

I recently installed a Dension 500S BT in my 05 911. Everything is working fine, however every time I start the car the screen displayed System Error: CD Changer not available. I can click the right *** in to select enter and then everything works as it should.

I have a factory 6 disc changer and installed a fiber optic loop to take it out of the system.

Any ideas how to get this to not come up every time?

Thanks!

Old 07-13-2014, 01:02 PM
nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !
I have the same issue. When my Dension is working I still get that error. See the other thread for slightly more annoying issues, I'm jealous of the fact this is all you have!

Old 07-14-2014, 02:31 AM
simoncpw is a jewel in the roughsimoncpw is a jewel in the roughsimoncpw is a jewel in the rough
Mine does the same.
- if it's installed in the frunk, PCM error message says "CD changer not available"
- if it's installed behind the PCM, PCM error message says "Phone not available"

In both cases, optical loop cables have been installed to take both the factory CD changer and phone module out of the system.

Apart from this everything have been working well for a few months.
- an iPhone 4S is connected to the iPad port and left in the car permanently. It plays music without any problem via Music and Tunein app
- my iPhone 5S is paired automatically as soon as I'm close to and unlock the car. Making and receiving phone call works fine (including by using PCM / steering wheel control stick)
- occasionally when the iPhone 4S runs out of battery (I don't bother switching off the phone when parked overnights), it automatically switch to play music from my iPhone 5S via bluetooth

Just sharing my experience and I'm still looking for ways to get rid of the message.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:23 AM
nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !
Thanks for the info. Have you had the phone module 'removed' from the PCM config using PIWIS/a Porsche tech? Was recommended I did when I installed mine. Might remove the message regarding the phone module.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:49 AM
simoncpw is a jewel in the roughsimoncpw is a jewel in the roughsimoncpw is a jewel in the rough
No, not yet. I've been advised to do that as well, but I'm not exactly convinced yet as I would think this will probably disable making & answering phone calls via the PCM buttons and control stick?!

I'm still deciding if I should get the Durametric cable for my other mod project. I will give this a go if I do get the Durametric (in about a month's time), and report back here.

Originally Posted by nzskater
Thanks for the info. Have you had the phone module 'removed' from the PCM config using PIWIS/a Porsche tech? Was recommended I did when I installed mine. Might remove the message regarding the phone module.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:29 AM
Originally Posted by simoncpw
No, not yet. I've been advised to do that as well, but I'm not exactly convinced yet as I would think this will probably disable making & answering phone calls via the PCM buttons and control stick?! I'm still deciding if I should get the Durametric cable for my other mod project. I will give this a go if I do get the Durametric (in about a month's time), and report back here.
FYI: Durametric can't code the phone module (based on what they have listed on their site, I could have misread it). I've had mine decoded and calling still works (when the Dension works!).

Old 07-14-2014, 05:48 AM
Thanks. Good to know. So the phone function on the PCM still works with the 500S BT even if it's uncoded by the PIWIS to clear the message? If so, I wouldn't mind paying the stealer to do it.

Originally Posted by nzskater
FYI: Durametric can't code the phone module (based on what they have listed on their site, I could have misread it). I've had mine decoded and calling still works (when the Dension works!).

Old 07-14-2014, 08:07 AM
Spudster Is a GOD !Spudster Is a GOD !Spudster Is a GOD !Spudster Is a GOD !Spudster Is a GOD !Spudster Is a GOD !Spudster Is a GOD !Spudster Is a GOD !Spudster Is a GOD !Spudster Is a GOD !Spudster Is a GOD !
There are 2 categories in the PIWIS that have settings for the CDC and phone...the PCM and Gateway. In the PCM there's a subsection called "MOST required control unit list." You need to have the CDC and phone coded out of there. But make sure they are programmed in the Gateway. I've experimented with this quite a lot, and if I leave them coded in the PCM I get the CDC and phone not found message too.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:07 PM
So in my case would I need to have the CDC and Phone coded out of the PCM but they need to stay in the gateway?

Old 07-14-2014, 06:01 PM
Spudster Is a GOD !Spudster Is a GOD !Spudster Is a GOD !Spudster Is a GOD !Spudster Is a GOD !Spudster Is a GOD !Spudster Is a GOD !Spudster Is a GOD !Spudster Is a GOD !Spudster Is a GOD !Spudster Is a GOD !
That's correct. Code them OUT of the PCM and IN the Gateway.

From the main menu of the PIWIS you would click on PCM.

On the next screen you would click on PCM2.1 MMI

Then click on MOST required control unit list.

On the next screen you would change the phone and CD changer to "not coded"

Old 07-14-2014, 06:06 PM
Awesome, thanks for the detailed information! Do indy mechanics typically have a PIWIS or is this something I need to go to the dealership for?

Old 03-15-2018, 06:25 AM
Dr.westerlund is an unknown quantity at this point
PIWIS looks completley different

Hi all,

replying on this old tread. Got the exact same issue and visited an OPC, but few years have passed and PIWIS looks completley different. Anyone with updated info where you program the CD Changer in the latest PIWIS? Both me and the tech scrolled through all menues without any luck?

Old 06-20-2018, 02:16 PM
Ray_S is on a distinguished road
Getting back to this old issue:

I tried removing the phone from the PCM MMI list of devices w/ a Piwis2 - it resulted in a disabled phone, thus phone function vanished. Thus I ended up enabling the phone back again...

Anyone have an idea how to accomplish the result described above w/ a Piwis 2? Which route (menu) to follow?

The MMI list of MOST bus devices can be found under maintenance&repair menu, PCM MMI conrol module, btw (one might look for it under coding but that‘s the wrong menu...)

Did this on a 996 2004 btw, but would expect it to work the same like for 997..

Last edited by Ray_S; 06-20-2018 at 02:19 PM.