997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Experience driving 20" wheels on a carrera s 997.2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 09:39 AM
checho80 is on a distinguished road
Experience driving 20" wheels on a carrera s 997.2

Hi guys a couple days ago i decide to change my carrera s OEM sport rims, for a 20" ADV.1 rims. they looks aggressive and actually i put a custom paint on that looks great BUUT!! drives completely different, I know that now I'm driving a 245/30/20 and 305/25/20 on the rears that makes the car more rigid, but i feel that is more smooth when i do the turns, not that good and precise like the oems.
Actually i align and balance the wheels but it feels to much vibrations. in the shop they confirmed everything and looks ok, but when drive the car vibrates to much. Any advice different to put back my oem rims?

Here is how it looks!
share your pics

Old 11-20-2014, 12:26 PM
Scoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura about
Hmm, I didn't / don't have any vibration issues with my 20's. In fact, in regards to ride quality, with the current tires I have, my car is quieter on my 20's than my OEM 18's with Bridgestones...

Old 11-20-2014, 12:30 PM
mk3boy is just really nicemk3boy is just really nicemk3boy is just really nicemk3boy is just really nice
on 20" too. Mine vibrated alot before I added centering ring in back of wheel. Still vibrates a bit but front tires have flat spots

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2451569568.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	501.9 KB
ID:	408016  
Old 11-21-2014, 08:36 AM
Jamie_c is on a distinguished road
I'm also running 20" wheels, no vibration here.

I have to agree with Scoper, Mine is much quieter on the 20's with conti's than the OEM wheels on bridgestones.
Maybe get a second opinion from a different shop.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:59 AM
BLKPPR is on a distinguished road
I would check the type of wheel stud you are using. Verify with the wheel manufacturer that the OEM bolts(If that is what you are using) actually work with the wheel. There are different bolt shapes(conical, round etc) and if the wrong bolt base is sitting against the wrong bolt hole on the wheel it never sits right and will cause vibration.

Trust me, two sets of wheels and a new set of tires before I contacted the wheel manufacturer and they asked what bolts I was using. Replaced the bolts with the correct type that fit the wheel and the vibration stopped. I told them that when someone buys a set of wheels they should ask about the bolts that will be used to avoid this aggrevation

Old 11-21-2014, 09:00 AM
StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !
mk3boy may be on to something. Do you have spacers? If so, did you get ones that are both hub-centric and wheel-centric. If not, it may be that the wheel isn't perfectly centered which would cause a vibration even if the wheel/tire itself was perfectly balanced. If possible, spin the wheel (if it is a front wheel) with it jacked up and see if you send any off-centered wobble.

Similarly, did the wheel have the receiving side for the lip on the hub so that it is self-centering, and is it a snug fit? If not, it may just be a matter of rechecking that the wheel is centered. Maybe you can identify the vibrating wheel and loosening/readjust/retighten to see if it goes away. Someone riding alongside at freeway speed can often see such a vibration when it is occurring if you can't feel which one it is. (If the steering wheel reports the vibration then at least you know it is on the front).

Finally, it's been a long time, but I have had a case where a tire had a belt deformity that would show perfect balance on a machine but would deform at speed under load. Did you get top quality tires? If you did and all else fails, consider that the problem may be a tire.

Last edited by StormRune; 11-21-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:09 AM
mk3boy is just really nicemk3boy is just really nicemk3boy is just really nicemk3boy is just really nice
Originally Posted by StormRune
mk3boy may be on to something. Do you have spacers? If so, did you get ones that are both hub-centric and wheel-centric. If not, it may be that the wheel isn't perfectly centered which would cause a vibration even if the wheel/tire itself was perfectly balanced. If possible, spin the wheel (if it is a front wheel) with it jacked up and see if you send any off-centered wobble. Similarly, did the wheel have the receiving side for the lip on the hub so that it is self-centering, and is it a snug fit? If not, it may just be a matter of rechecking that the wheel is centered. Maybe you can identify the vibrating wheel and loosening/readjust/retighten to see if it goes away. Someone riding alongside at freeway speed can often see such a vibration when it is occurring if you can't feel which one it is. (If the steering wheel reports the vibration then at least you know it is on the front). Finally, it's been a long time, but I have had a case where a tire had a belt deformity that would show perfect balance on a machine but would deform at speed under load. Did you get top quality tires? If you did and all else fails, consider that the problem may be a tire.
I don't run spacers because offset is agressive. Centering rings are hubcentric. Wheels were bought with used tires. If I don't sell them I will put new tires next year

Old 11-22-2014, 12:50 PM
tphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mk3boy
on 20" too. Mine vibrated alot before I added centering ring in back of wheel. Still vibrates a bit but front tires have flat spots
mk3boy, car look awesome, would like see more pictures. I have a set of vossen CV3 20" but have not put on yet.

Old 11-22-2014, 03:17 PM
pic2

Name:	image-3529587874.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	523.1 KB
ID:	408175  
Old 11-22-2014, 03:18 PM
pic3

Name:	image-1515356314.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	706.6 KB
ID:	408176  
Old 11-22-2014, 03:19 PM
pic4. sorry phone messed up

Name:	image-330835273.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	389.1 KB
ID:	408177  
Old 11-22-2014, 04:02 PM
Jamie_c is on a distinguished road
Looks great mk3boy, are you on lowering springs or coilovers? The ride height looks perfect on 20s

Old 11-22-2014, 05:10 PM
MYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really nice
20"s here and no vibes whatsoever. Very smooth at all speeds.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:28 PM
bilstein dantronics cranked way down... maybe 2-3 threads or barely left. It scrapes less in front on the 20" lowered then stock on 19"

Old 11-25-2014, 12:06 PM
The R will become famous soon enough
What tires are you using? I have 20" wheels on my C2S. I've had them on with and without Damptronics. I can tell you that my 20" wheels w/ Pilot Super Sports rode better, less harsh than my factory Lobsters with the OEM Pirellis...easily. Tire brand can make a pretty good difference. If though the size might be 245/30 for example, the actually size of the time (sidewall/diameter/width) can vary a fairly decent amount which can translate into ride quality differences. For example, look at a picture of your setup ( 245/30 & 305/25) in Hankook V12s & Michelin PS2s or Super Sports. You would swear they were different sizes.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Experience driving 20" wheels on a carrera s 997.2