997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Back in the market

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 03:13 PM
CPD1216 is on a distinguished road
Back in the market

I'm back in the market to purchase my first Porsche. Since the 997.2 prices still havent come down yet, I've settled on a 08 C4S manual. I test drove it last Spring and I really liked it. It has 40k miles, 1 owner and clean carfax.

I test drove it again today and found it was sometimes hard to shift into first gear from a dead stop. This only happened to me twice. It also has the dreaded crank to start due to the faulty TSB wire which needs to be replaced. Also, I remember last Spring it wasnt blowing cold air so they filled it with freeon. They said it lost some of it due to it sitting on the lot for too long. Besides some other minor issues (mostly cosmetic), the car ran great.

I'm planning on getting a PPI done before I further persue it. Is there anything else I should look for?

Old 12-13-2014, 05:51 PM
martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !
Make sure the clutch is not slipping.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:35 PM
Miami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud of
I can't hold my tongue. Getting a 997.1 is hardly "settling."

Old 12-13-2014, 08:29 PM
martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by miami4me
i can't hold my tongue. Getting a 997.1 is hardly "settling."
+++1

Old 12-13-2014, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by martidamm
Make sure the clutch is not slipping.
The clutch is solid. The car drives like its on rails so no alignment issues either. I'm ordering a PPI on Monday.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by CPD1216
The clutch is solid. The car drives like its on rails so no alignment issues either. I'm ordering a PPI on Monday.
that should tell you what you need to know, check the over revs ranges since ur buying a manual.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:01 PM
Miami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by martidamm
that should tell you what you need to know, check the over revs ranges since ur buying a manual.
Good advice on the over revs. That tells you quite a bit about your prior owner, and his tolerance for abuse.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:34 AM
cairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the rough
Make sure the PPI is done by someone who regularly works on new Porsches and not where the car is being sold, if it is being sold by a dealer. Also make sure the tech doing the PPI knows it has been sitting for a long time and the AC discharged while sitting and they just filled it.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:53 AM
By the way, shifting into first gear is always a little tricky, it took me a while to get used to myself when I first got my car, if you have issues trying to get into first gear release the clutch and press it again and it should go in quite easily, also first gear should only be used when pulling from a dead stop, never down shift into first, you will not be able to get the gear, also shifting into second sometimes it's not as smooth as the rest of the gears, this is quite normal in 997 manual transmissions, if you browse through the forum you will see this is a very talked about subject with manuals.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:17 PM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Good luck with the PPI CPD1216 Let us know how it turns out.

Old 12-15-2014, 02:02 PM
911CSLover will become famous soon enough911CSLover will become famous soon enough
+1MMMM on the settle for a 997.1 quip. Holy moly!

I don't meant to hijack this thread, but can somebody tell me what the faulty starter wiring issue actually sounds like/manifest itself as? My 997 sounds slightly labored at startup but she always ignites on the first try. Is it simply less voltage delivery that affects the overall speed from key turn > crank > ignition, resulting in first try ignition (like mine) or does it require a few tries?

Old 12-15-2014, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by 911CSLover
+1MMMM on the settle for a 997.1 quip. Holy moly! I don't meant to hijack this thread, but can somebody tell me what the faulty starter wiring issue actually sounds like/manifest itself as? My 997 sounds slightly labored at startup but she always ignites on the first try. Is it simply less voltage delivery that affects the overall speed from key turn > crank > ignition, resulting in first try ignition (like mine) or does it require a few tries?
I believe it reflects as if the battery had no power, The car will eventually start but it will have a very slow crank, usually will start and my first try but it is a labored prank

Old 12-15-2014, 06:07 PM
AreaOne has a spectacular aura aboutAreaOne has a spectacular aura about
CPD 1216.....How did the car come out, is it yours yet?

Old 12-15-2014, 07:14 PM
No PPI done today. I was told Monday or Tuesday I will get a phone call so lets see what happens tomorrow.

I've been doing a lot of research on here about having a hard time going into first from a dead stop. It looks like it's a common thing on these cars. It's not a mechanical issue so that's a good thing.

Old 12-16-2014, 02:59 AM
Gotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to behold
When the car is cold, shifting into first and second can be notchy, it's notmal. As for slow start can be several parts to worry about wiring, starter, alternator or may be just battery. Make sure PPI and DME came back good or minor list of repair. As for AC not blowing cold could be a big repair bill.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Back in the market