997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

how to properly launch my 997.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 09:36 PM
metzkaro is on a distinguished road
how to properly launch my 997.

Hi i have a 2007 Porsche 997S tiptronic. It has a full fabspeed exhaust on it. Headers, sports mufflers, and hiflow x pipe cat. fabspeed cold air intake, upgraded plenum, softtronic tune, and just the cherry on top a kw3 suspension. It drives amazing and the power is amazing. My only issue i am having is launching the vehicle. I turn sport mode on, turn traction off and hold the brake and give it gas. It won't let me get passed 2500 rpm. Has anyone delt with this before? What can i do to get my rpms a little higher for a better launch?

Old 01-01-2015, 10:31 PM
ogun228 is on a distinguished road
Did you try with traction "on" ?

Old 01-01-2015, 10:57 PM
Buddhamonk has a spectacular aura aboutBuddhamonk has a spectacular aura aboutBuddhamonk has a spectacular aura about
you're drag racing with a tiptronic transmission?

Old 01-02-2015, 12:59 AM
150shot is on a distinguished road
Seems like he wants to launch for his own experience and or enjoyment..Nothing wrong with that!

Sorry wish could help but never owned a Tip..good luck

Old 01-02-2015, 03:16 AM
MrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud of
If I had the guess and this would be just that it is the way the tranny is programmed. I am assuming it is changing gears at 2500rpm. Could be done that way to prevent exactly what you're trying to do.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:18 AM
Fahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to all
If you put your foot on the brake, the computer will close the throttle. This occurs with manual trans cars as well.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:06 PM
Miami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Fahrer
If you put your foot on the brake, the computer will close the throttle. This occurs with manual trans cars as well.
I thought I read somewhere recently that this can be fixed with some ECU tunes. Cutting out the throttle with the brake can't help heel/toeing very much. I think it's worth a call to Softronics to see if they can help, or at least weigh in.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:29 AM
LBK
LBK will become famous soon enough
You basically have it right. You want to take PCM off. Hold down the brake and then floor it with the gas (do not ease the pedal down slowly). Just floor it all the way. Then the launch control ready will light up on the dash. Take your foot off the brake and away you go!

Old 01-03-2015, 12:30 PM
BrakingBad has much to be proud ofBrakingBad has much to be proud ofBrakingBad has much to be proud ofBrakingBad has much to be proud ofBrakingBad has much to be proud ofBrakingBad has much to be proud ofBrakingBad has much to be proud ofBrakingBad has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by LBK
You basically have it right. You want to take PCM off. Hold down the brake and then floor it with the gas (do not ease the pedal down slowly). Just floor it all the way. Then the launch control ready will light up on the dash. Take your foot off the brake and away you go!
This is a 2007 997.1 tiptronic he is driving not a 997.2 PDK.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:00 AM
Stunata is on a distinguished road
Yep that is the fastest way to launch a 997.1 with tiptronic. Foot on brake and give it some throttle until it goes to about 2500 rpm. Then foot off the brake and stab the throttle. Should just slightly break the tires loose and almost instantly hook up and go.

I just installed the GT3 throttle body with IPD Plenum on mine. Made a big difference. If I put my foot on the brake now and stab the throttle it fully breaks my rear tires loose and puts the car sideways. So I have to be careful on the launch now and hold back a little. I do not put my my foot on the brake at all now it would just chew up my PS2s.

I had my car resleaved to a 4.0 by LN, Fabspeed exhaust, ECU flash, High flow cats, lowering springs. Stock airbox and paper filter.

Last edited by Stunata; 01-04-2015 at 01:04 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:15 PM
metzkaro is on a distinguished road
Hi everyone, is there any other recommendations you guys can make for an ECU flash? One that might work ever better? Maybe even offer a 2 step? I am based out here in California. I am also thinking of adding a sprint booster for a little bit more throttle response. I'm just a car enthusiast and love working on cars. Unfortunaly yes its a tiptronic, lol I got a great deal for it so i went all for it.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:10 PM
OldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by metzkaro
Hi everyone, is there any other recommendations you guys can make for an ECU flash? One that might work ever better? Maybe even offer a 2 step? I am based out here in California. I am also thinking of adding a sprint booster for a little bit more throttle response. I'm just a car enthusiast and love working on cars. Unfortunaly yes its a tiptronic, lol I got a great deal for it so i went all for it.
You're going to take some heat from the self-styled "purists" (none of whom have tried it) for even mentioning the Sprint Booster. However, I have it on my '08 997.1S Tip, (had it on a Cayman before) and it makes a huge difference in throttle response. Moreover, with the button you can select Off, Sport (green light) or Sport + (red light). I keep mine in Sport, as the Sport + setting is really ultra-sensitive and for track only. The setting is persistent, i.e., it stays where you set it through engine starts and stops. I've done a few engine and exhaust mods, but for the money, the two best mods I've done have been the Fister mufflers and the Sprint Booster.

By the way, I'm your neighbor, in Chatsworth.